Tuesday 12 February 2008

PUBLIC OR PRIVATE????


Current mood: YES
Category: YES Music



Following on from that previous blog, I'm gonna pose a question...

If you had the complete and unfettered choice, would you rather see your favourite pop group/solo artist in the privacy of your own home, with a bunch of handpicked friends and/or family, or as (most often happens) part of a crowd the make up of which you have no say in???

What i want to establish is:

Is the fact you're amidst other random folk a very important part of the LIVE music experience or not??



Currently listening :
Producer 01
By LTJ Bukem
Release date: By 13 February, 2001

01:50 - 52 Comments - 20 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove


Listing 1-50 of 52 1 2 of 2 Next >
The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club

A concert is a group experience. I don't think it's the same without the group. You know what I mean?

Posted by The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 01:02
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

It's definately different and not a little unpleasant watching a gig when theirs only 8 people there...

But on the flip side, people seem to love nothing more than an intimate gig - where you are very up close and personal and where there are few people, a good view etc...

Personally, I don't think it would make much difference to me if those few people were all people I knew or not. I find if I'm properly experiencing the music, I'm more or less oblivious to who's around me..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 01:09
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Christopher Nosnibor

Yeah, snap. At a good gig you get lost in the music (man). I don't like crowds and I'm not keen on people, but I like to see bands I like draw them in. So people are part of the atmos. It's just a pain when the cuntiest tosser in the venue, who's invariably 7ft tall, smelly and talks nonstop comes and stands in front of me and repeatedly knocks me and stands on my toes.

Posted by Christopher Nosnibor on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 11:26
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I find you have to make your own space at the front of a gig...

Just ploughing on through tends to work, though I had quite a few problems with people at that Prince Aftershow....

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 12:05
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club

...unless you're getting slammed around in a mosh pit.

The best concert I ever saw was by X at a place called the Knitting Factory in Hollywood. It was a small venue with only room for like a couple hundred people. I got to see most of the concert from about twenty feet from the stage. Later my date and I pushed our way through the revelers moshing about and got right up to the stage for the rest of the show. I even got to shake hands with Billy Zoom and DJ Bonebrake. Is this what you mean by intimacy? 'cause for me it was just right.

Posted by The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 01:33
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yeah, I would say that's intimacy...

I never really got the whole moshpit thing. I got heavily involved with one at an Iggy Pop concert a few years back and would have to say I enjoyed battering and barging people at will - but it's never really been my way...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 01:41
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club

The X concert pit was funny 'cause it was mostly older fans pushing their 40s moshing around. I bet there was a lot of Ben Gay used the morning after. Tee hee!

Posted by The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 01:45
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

With the Iggy Pop one, it felt really very good to battering into people I didn't know rather than people I did...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 01:49
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club

Yeah, like if you were watching Iggy sing at home in your living room, your friends probably wouldn't enjoy getting slammed into your furniture.

Posted by The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 01:54
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I wouldn't have Iggy play a gig here in Fort Giovanna...

I like to maintain a certain level of decorum around the house and I reckon Iggy bouncing around semi-naked and jumping all over the furniture would contravene that level 10 fold...

I would also worry about my plants...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 02:06
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club

Oh gosh you're so right I didn't even think about the plants. Iggy would make the all wilt for sure...

Posted by The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 02:10
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Christopher Nosnibor

The volume Iggy plays at there'd probably be no house left after the first song.

Posted by Christopher Nosnibor on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 11:28
[Remove]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

If he started clambering up my Swiss Cheese Plant in order to launch himself into the crowd, I'd be forced to have very stern words with both him and his management....

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 02:15
[Remove]


Hijackalope

i want gwar to play my wedding

Posted by Hijackalope on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 01:51
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Treacle

I'm all about the random factor, smuggling in a hip flask of Absinthe and getting everyone obliterated. But then I guess that depends on the band.

Posted by Treacle on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 02:04
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Just so long as you're up bright and early the next day for work, I'll turn a blind eye to this kind of behaviour...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 02:07
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I want to marry Gwar...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 02:04
[Remove] [Reply to this]


maryJane

i dont think it matters for me. i tend to focus on the music alone no matter how many//few people are in the area.
although, getting slammed in the face by surfers and moshers isnt as exciting anymore...

Posted by maryJane on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 02:13
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

It does very much depend on the band...

I mean anyone who wants to come and play and an acoustic and/or ambient set here in the lounge is welcome...

However under NO CIRCUMSTANCES will I tolerate raucous or disruptive musical behaviour whilst Mrs Giovanni is cooking dinner....

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 02:18
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Treacle

Have asked Mrs Giovanni as to her cook-a-long musical requirements?
I've always enjoyed dancing like a crazed animal as I cook, and quite enjoy the idea of a show 'Cooking with Treacle', where I put on some music, get gradually drunk and high and cook up a storm...

Posted by Treacle on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 02:31
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I don't want you leading Mrs Giovanni astray...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 11:57
[Remove] [Reply to this]


La Paloma, the Queen of Infinity

ha ha, i put on my own shows when i cook! i sing and dance! I would love to have my favorite band playing for me as i jump around the apartment.


though, i also quite enjoy dancing in a crowd, though i am too old and fat for moshing any more...

Posted by La Paloma, the Queen of Infinity on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 02:40
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

You didn't sing and dance when ou cooked here at Fort Giovanna....(And a good thing too...)

I don't think there are age limits on moshing. I mean the average age of an Iron Maiden crowd is somewhere around 52....

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 12:02
[Remove] [Reply to this]


maryJane

...i bet mrs g would LOVE some music man raucous.

Posted by maryJane on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 02:29
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

She likes to sing and dance along to Italian music, but I don't like to encourage it...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 12:03
[Remove] [Reply to this]


stEvil

pitchshifter played in my home town a few years ago, unfortunately for them and fortunately for me, about 20 people turned up... and only about three people stood up to watch them... this was when they were my favourite band in the world and had, in effect, come half way around the world to play a private show just for me... one of the best night's of my life. crowds are just awful.

Posted by stEvil on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 02:29
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Clinker

I like the going out to gigs, the being among a crowd of strangers randomness. Talking to strangers, etc. But I am increasingly thinking at the last minute, "Shall I just go and get 6 more cans and stay in."

We'll come and play anyones house, if anyones interested.

Posted by Clinker on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 11:26
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I might well take you up on that one...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 12:06
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Clinker

We'd be up for it. Just need a little pa and a couple of mics/stands. We should plan a house tour! Get Colossus involved too.

Posted by Clinker on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 19:00
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I'm liking this idea...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 20:09
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

BUT DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT JUMPING ABOUT OR STAGE DIVING FROM THE KITCHEN CABINETS!!!!

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 17:02
[Remove] [Reply to this]


(not a groupie)

why would i NOT want thom in my house????

Posted by (not a groupie) on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 16:48
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Because he'd slouch around your living room looking at the floor and complaining about how the house was getting him down....

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 16:50
[Remove] [Reply to this]


(not a groupie)

i could hug him...

Posted by (not a groupie) on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 16:52
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

"Oh, don't hug me man, I'm depressed. And why is the carpet green?? I don't like green. It's bumming me out - can you change it...."

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 16:54
[Remove] [Reply to this]


(not a groupie)

[slips anti-depressant into cocktail]

"here, baby, drink this. the carpet will not hurt you ... but i will."

Posted by (not a groupie) on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 16:56
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

"Ohhh, don't hurt me - I'm feling delicate today. And I don't like the wallpap-. Can I - HEY I SUDDENLY FEEL GREAT!!!! WOOHOOO!!! LETS DANCE!!!!! YEAH!!!!!! ROCK 'N ROLL!!!!!!!!"

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 16:59
[Remove] [Reply to this]


(not a groupie)

L O to the fucking L.
(i love you paul, dont tell the missus)

Posted by (not a groupie) on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 17:00
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

"I LOVE YOU TOO PAUL!!! CAN YOU DO A NOVELTY POP REMIX OF FAKE PLASTIC TREES??? GET THAT CHICK FROM AQUA ONBOARD!!! (I ALWAYS WANTED FUCK HER!!) I WANT SIRENS AND BIG BUILD-UPS!!!! LET'S MAKE IT DO WELL IN IBIZA!!! I ALWAYS WANTED TO BE BIG IN IBIZA!!!!1"

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 17:05
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Christopher Pizza Street Team

did i invite you to my house?
:-P

Posted by Christopher Pizza Street Team on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 17:11
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

"WHERE IN THE HELL IS MY MARGARITA, GARLIC BREAD AND 2 LITRES OF COKE???????"

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 17:16
[Remove]


Christopher Pizza Street Team

SHIT! logged into WRONG profile ... runs away crying.

Posted by Christopher Pizza Street Team on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 17:11
[Remove]


Classy Drunk®

I have to choose a public handpicked few lucky friends of mine to see one of my favorite bands...now which one is a hard one to pick?
here are a few
1. Motley Crue
2. Van Halen
3. B-52's
4. Menudo from the 80's
Live music kicks ASS!!

Posted by Classy Drunk® on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 17:11
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

If Vince Neil and Tommy Lee came around my house, I'd make sure Mrs Giovanni was out of the house...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 17:19
[Remove] [Reply to this]


(not a groupie)

i am taking a week-long hiatus from commenting on your blogs.
it is not your fault. i am an idiot.
you must not tempt me.
logging of ... [(not a groupie) will return on 10/02/08.>>sent 02/02/08]

Posted by (not a groupie) on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 17:18
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

"OH DON'T DO THAT...THAT'S SO DEPRESSING...OH NO, I WANT TO DIE NOW...LIKE REALLY NOW I WANT TO DIE!!!...WHAT A MINUTE THAT GIVES ME AN IDEA FOR A SONG...."

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 18:56
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Kristen

This is a very timely question, as I'm about to play hostess to the lead singer of my favorite band....
he'll be staying at my home for 3 nights. So, I'll have to answer your question later after the experience has unfolded.

Posted by Kristen on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 18:52
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

OK...

Keep me posted...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 18:54
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Kristen

Well, now can say: first, in direct reply to the bottom query...No, being a part of random folk in an audience doesn't seem to be an important part of my Live music experience. If the performance blows my mind, then it will remain a fond memory.

However...I can tell what is missing in comparison between the two situations: having your favorite musician sitting in your living room break into song is a fantastic experience...but it is not quite the same as seeing them live onstage. The reason being is that they exhibit a different onstage "persona" than they do just hanging out elsewhere. The energy is different.

Posted by Kristen on Saturday, February 09, 2008 at 18:13
[Remove] [Reply to this]


simon

Well as someone who has told stories of seeing Mick Ronson play to 6 of us at Dingwalls many years ago so many times it is an old fave I'd have to say there is something to the cache of the totally intimate affair, but the home gigs is all about who and what, Iggy can climb my cactii anytime he wants, but it would hurt like hell!!
As for Classy Drunk, I haven't heard anyone mention Menudo for years, I'm sure you'd be upset as I'm sure they are no longer the pretty young things they once were!!
But going to gigs is about who else shares your taste and shows up and meeting random people with at least some shared interest in whoever is playing.
As for moshing I did a fair bit when I was younger but preferred the less violent pits. Killing Joke was so violent it was scary blood everywhere not my Idea of a good night out. Goth bands like Gene Love Jezebel had some of the weirdest and fun pits to be in though!! You needed to crimp you hair for that one though!!

Posted by simon on Sunday, February 03, 2008 at 19:07
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Cheshire Cat

it depends on the admission price as far as gigs are concerned.
)and)if i can'r get a decent vantage point seeing the real musicians play i'd rather get a dvd of a comcert to watch at home , plugged into a serious amplifier.
travel distance also a consideration of course,

and the quality of the beer.

Posted by Cheshire Cat on Monday, February 04, 2008 at 20:51
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

And the availability of some birds to chase and a nice log fire, in front of which, to sit and grin????

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, February 04, 2008 at 21:51
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: