Wednesday 13 February 2008

EVOCATION PT 1


Current mood: MEMORIES...
Category: MEMORIES... Music



Surely one of the greatest powers of music, is it's ability to evoke memories...

So, hereby follows a series of blogs about the pieces of music I find to be the most evocative - tracks that straightaway, send me to a particular place and a distinct set of memories...


The first is LTJ Bukems - Demons Theme


For me this is all about my caravan in Suffolk and the 7 weeks I spent on the nuclear job..

For 7 weeks, I worked 12 hour days, with a half hour of cross country cycling each way, living this ludicrous twilit existance in and around Sizewell B Nuclear Power Station....

By day, located in one of the most technically advanced and most dangerous places in the UK, and by night, holed up in a primitive static caravan a stones throw from the cliffs edge, amidst the best nature in the country, this period of living, remains one of the strangest and most bipolar times of my life, and this track sums it up beautifully...




My day would invariably start aroundabout 5.45am with this track...

The slow and gentle whooshy bird noises and the sound of the sea (my immediate environment) got things going, and bit by bit more elements were added. The tune builds. Beautiful, though pounding, it gets heavy and intensifies into the dreamy, but hard monotony of a 12 hour shift of manual work....

This could go on forever - indeed, it's one of the few tracks that I can listen to time after time after time, without even noticing or becoming irritated by the repetition....


And though there are many tracks (most of them much more poptastic ones) that remind of that time, nothing even comes to the memories and the feel of the whole experience as does this....






Currently listening :
Logical Progression, Level 1
By LTJ Bukem Presents
Release date: By 01 January, 2000

01:34 - 8 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

KvKvG

Ltj buckem brings back some fond memories for me aswell.

i was at university living with a group of dj's. most were into standard drum and bass.
apart from myself and one other housemate; i was into digital hardcore, breakcore and was trying to convince my world that squarepusher was a genius (to no avail) while my other housemate was into buckem and mc conrad.

Let it be known that i HATE buckem and conrad! dispite this, their tunes bring back wonderful times where me and my friend would smoke all the weed we were ment to sell and argue for 12 hours stright over the future of drum and bass...in hindsight i think we were both wrong.

Posted by KvKvG on Friday, February 08, 2008 at 13:41
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I missed D'n'B and for that matter all electronic music when it was surging that wave in the late 80s until the mid 90's...

It's been a case of catch up ever since...

Smoking all the weed is certainly a common problem for todays dealer. I used to suffer it. You think you're gonna make money, but you just end up catatonic....

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, February 08, 2008 at 14:02
[Remove] [Reply to this]


KvKvG

i dont regret a thing :)

Posted by KvKvG on Friday, February 08, 2008 at 14:23
[Remove] [Reply to this]


they came from the stars, i saw them

for me it's Goldie's 'Inner City Life', living on a housing co-op that held massive raves every other week and getting together wih the love of my life. Sob!

Posted by they came from the stars, i saw them on Friday, February 08, 2008 at 14:48
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

There's no doubt that's another classic of classics....

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, February 08, 2008 at 14:51
[Remove] [Reply to this]


KvKvG

my all time favorite DnB tune: Badass! by aphrodite.
reminds me of smoking bottlebags when i was 15.

Posted by KvKvG on Friday, February 08, 2008 at 15:04
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yeah, I like Aphrodite...

I don't know the titles, but I know the tracks...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, February 08, 2008 at 15:17
[Remove] [Reply to this]


KvKvG

"at the count of three, i want you to tell me, the name of your dj'
Booom boooo booom booom boooooooo, ect ect

Posted by KvKvG on Friday, February 08, 2008 at 15:37
[Remove] [Reply to this]


No comments: