Tuesday 12 February 2008

DEATH AND GLORY..


Current mood: REFLECTIVE..
Category: REFLECTIVE.. Sports



The 2005 Tour Of Langkawi was won by Ryan Cox

Ryan Cox is now dead. He died a year ago of a complication of a circulation problem caused by his career as a professional cyclist. He was 27 years old.




The rider I liked most in the 2005 Tour of Langkawi wasn't Ryan Cox, it was a Japanesse called Kogi Fukushima..





I liked Fukushima because he attacked everyday, and everday he suffered.

Yes boss, Fukushima was riding way above his level, but everyday he went for it as if his life depended upon it: He won stages, wore jerseys and everyday looked like he was gonnna fall off the bike trying...


At that point in time, I was watching cycle racing many hours of everyday and writing my
nuclear book the rest of the time.

In order to improve my chances of written success, I was trying to understand the differnce between winning and loosing by way of an abstraction (cycle racing). I was learning about strategy and strength - pain and success.


7 months later, I was in central London watching the Tour of Britain LIVE...

Now, in the general scheme of bike racing, the Tour of Britain is much like the Tour of Langkawi - both are nothing races, in nothing cycling countries, that fill in the gaps for the big boys (if they even turn up) as well as give a chance for smaller riders to make their up and coming names..


As per usual, before, during and after the race, I was hanging around the area that held the riders and the bikes, trying to get a good handle on how and why one rider was going to win and another 100 or so were going to loose....

I like to try and see the faces of success - to catch that look...

The problem with the TofB was that I didn't know much about the teams or the riders competing. I was conentrating on the 21 day Tour of Spain on the TV (one of the 3 biggest tours in the calendar) and I hadn't done my research on the TofB at all...


Well, at a certain point, I became aware that the Bridgestone Team were riding the race. The Bridgestone Team of Kogi Fukushima...

I became excited.

Could it be that my cycling hero of the winter was riding here on the other side of the world???

He was...


Now, I don't often get star struck.

No boss, I have such a BIG EGO of my own, that it takes someone pretty special (or more to the point) personally special, to make me feel inadequate and unworthy - but Fukushima managed it...

Shit, he wasn't even a star. He was an also ran. Big in Japanese cycling, but nothing and nowhere else - but I was in awe of him...

So, I queued up to get his autograph. And as he signed, I told him (not even sure he would understand my English) that I was hugely impressed with the manner in which he went about riding the Tour Of Langkawi, and that I felt he'd deserved to win the overall.

Fukushima smiled, bowed, grabbed my hand and shook it as if I'd just sold him a Ferrari for £10...

I was gobsmacked...


Currently listening :
DE9: Closer to the Edit
By Richie Hawtin
Release date: By 18 September, 2001

01:15 - 10 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Doctor Yak

ganbatte

Posted by Doctor Yak on Sunday, February 03, 2008 at 02:32
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Errrr....

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Sunday, February 03, 2008 at 13:56
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club

Maybe he was more impressed by the ten pound note you slipped him...

The best athletes are the ones who do it for the love of the sport. They are humble. They may not all be superstars, but they know the difference between winning and winning, if you know what I mean. The things we do for the good of ourselves are what make us the real winners in life.

Like this guy, The Octopus:

Posted by The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club on Sunday, February 03, 2008 at 10:16
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

The Octopus looks very good for 57 years of age!

I know what you're saying about the importance of competing and enjoying it regardless of placing or success, but my favourite favourites are all big winners as well as good competitors..

And Fukushima did win in that race. As I recall he won at least one stage and I think one or two of the jersey classifications...

I'm not a big fan of sportsmen who play the 'I'm trying, look at me I'm trying' as a badge. I often find they're not trying quite as hard as they like to pretend...

I mean if you're not EVER winning in some way in sport, I'm not gonna be a fan..

Sure, do it for fitness or whatever, but the point is to realistically try and win..

In other words, winning is important - without it sport doesn't exist...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Sunday, February 03, 2008 at 13:55
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club

Of course, we all admire excellence. That's the main reason people watch sports to begin with. I'm with ya there, PGPoundSign. I just don't like the guys who work harder at flapping their jaws than working their craft.

Posted by The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club on Sunday, February 03, 2008 at 17:37
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I find it hard to believe I'm disucssing the nature of sporting excellence with someone called Cupid Kinkyboots...

If only all women had such enthusiasm for sport the world would be a happier place...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Sunday, February 03, 2008 at 17:53
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club

So next time I should just stick to making the sandwiches, huh?

Posted by The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club on Sunday, February 03, 2008 at 17:57
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I'd like egg and watercress please...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Sunday, February 03, 2008 at 19:50
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Treacle

this mas is and always will be my favourite cyclist

http://www.gretschguitars.com/artists/shackshakers/index.html

Posted by Treacle on Sunday, February 03, 2008 at 13:10
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Now, I'm confused...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Sunday, February 03, 2008 at 13:56
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: