Thursday 21 February 2008

1 YEAR ON ALBUM RE-REVIEW :: WHITE MAGIC - DAT ROSA MEL APIBUS


Current mood: SLIDING DOORS
Category: SLIDING DOORS Music


High Wave, Rolling On Sea British Indian Ocean Territory



The first time I listened to White Magic's
Dat Rosa Mel Apibus, I hated it.

Contrary to it's good intentions, I felt it sounded like a bad mixture of Nico, The Jefferson Airplane and a bunch of Navajo Indians, making musica around a damp campfire that had (unbeknownst to any of the above) gone out somewhere around 1969…

Music is however a complicated being and it shouldn't be judged on one airing.

So in the interests of freedom, fairness and musical democracy I played this record again, and again and again…

And now, a year or so later, things have changed.

Yes boss, with each fresh play, I find I like the strident and simple piano lines more and more. I also like the flatness of the voice and the way this voice dovetails into the sounds and then back out again...

Shit, some of the lyrics are even drawing me in to the degree where I have to replay tracks and try and suss out their specific meaning….

But isn't this just the problem with judging music?? One minute and mood, you've it nailed it a recorded a disaster - the next, you leave bed a different side, and discover you love it...


04:52 - 5 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Nonstop Everything

this is why you should give stereolab's "soundust" and "cobras and phases..." another listen. and then tell me if it's ignorable.

Posted by Nonstop Everything on Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 17:05
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Well, I haven't heard those 2 for the first time yet...

I've heard the likes of Miss Modular, Emperor Tomato Ketchup & Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements.

I like them once in a while, but I don't find Stereolab force their way onto my agenda too often..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 17:14
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Van Allen Belt

they are production gems. and i didn't spell either title correctly. i can understand that the mellowness isn't for all occasions. but i feel the arrangements are consistently imaginative and there aren't really any other pop bands who exactly match their melody style. raised the bar of pleasantness.

Posted by The Van Allen Belt on Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 22:17
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Stacey J

That's the way I feel about Gil Mantera's Party Dream. I'm going to go see them in Chicago at the end of this month. We are going to have thong fights, compliment each others unitards and we will sing....oh yes we will sing; and to think I was once s-c-a-r-e-d of these men. Some people/bands/groups are way ahead of their time such as ELO.

Posted by Stacey J on Monday, February 18, 2008 at 01:26
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Pray silence for The Electric Light Orchestra...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, February 18, 2008 at 01:41
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: