Wednesday 19 December 2007

MUSIC BOOK REPOST ::: BOOK REVIEW ::: KISS AND MAKE UP BY GENE SIMMONS


Current mood: PIRANHA
Category: PIRANHA Music



Kiss are a proper AMERICAN Rock Band: A band as interested in their brand as their music. A band of comebacks and options. Make Up and no Make Up. Diversity and Contrast.

They're a band for whom I have great respect, even though at this moment in time, I don't own so much as one of their LPs.


I first found them as a boy.

My best friend at Junior School, Sandeep Jadav, was obsessed by Kiss, Bon Jovi and Whitesnake. He was also obsessed with Piranha fish, and carnivorous plants, and when he grew up, he wanted to be a divorce lawyer in New York.

One day, we were given a project:

We could pick the theme. The other kids went for Transformers or Southampton FC. I selected bird dissection & Sandeep went for evolution...

No-one else had ever heard of evolution.

Sandeeps clever academic diligence paid off. He won a free scholarship at age 12 or 13 to go to Winchester College. He left us behind to join the toffs and I've never seen or heard of him since...


So, it was Sandeep who introduced me to Kiss.

Sandeep had a Sony walkman, which was odd because his preferred name was Sony (pronounced as if there were 2 n's but spelt with 1). He would bring in his brothers tapes. Tapes like 'Lick It Up' By Kiss and 'Saints and Sinners' By Whitesnake

My first portable cassette player came a few years later. It was a crappy white German one handmedown that played tapes a fraction too fast. I remember the first time I used it: I was cycling down a hill at great speed listening to Forever by Kiss. At that moment, the portable tape player struck me as being the best invention the world had ever seen..


So, because of my history of KISS, I read this book with interest.

In particular, I was curious to know more about Gene Simmons.


Paul Stanley was the more in your face of the two in the era of which i was familiar, but Gene Simmons was always there with his tongue out, coughing up blood....


Mostly, I was intersted to know what Simmons knew. I'd heard about his 4500 female 'conquests' and figured he'd therefore know something or other about the whole man/woman thing...

Over this book, I found Simmons to be a very honest character.

He makes no excuses or concessions to morals. He has no regrets.

With regards to his 'conquests' he rightly points out that all honest straight men would like nothing more than to do what he's done - but most don't have the opportunity, the skills, or are beset with hang-ups or morals that prevent such behaviour.


Gene simply lived and loved a well known male fantasy. What is there to apologise about??


I also learnt Simmons doesn't like small talk - that if it's not meat and potatoes business or fucking, he simply won't do it. Simmons has never drunk alcohol and only taken drugs accidentally twice. He's had relationships with Diana Ross and Cher and first and foremost, even before the sex, he's a businessman and a full and complete embodiment of the America Dream...


And Kiss? Well I've never heard the stuff by the original line up.

I was into the mid 80's version with Bruce Kulick and Eric Carr. But I find I like Peter Criss and Ace Frehley. Between them, they've more than made up for the Stanley and Simmons sobriety, by continually tanking things to and beyond the max...

Yes boss, they 'wasted' their lives with drink and drugs, whilst Simmons and Stanley concentrated on notching their bedposts, doing business, solidifying the brand name KISS and counting the fucking cash...


The overwhelming result of my reading this book, is that I now see Kiss as a successful entertainment franchise business rather than as a musical band. I don't listen to them at all nowadays and their music doesn't seem to be that important or influential in the grand scheme of things.

There influence is mostly in the world of the business of entertainment. They are the Star Wars of the music bizz.

They invented merchandising and stadium rock.

It's a plenty contribution, but does it really have anything to do with music???


Currently listening :
Happy Christmas (War Is Over) (En
By John Lennon
Release date: By 15 December, 2003

09:11 - 9 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Nonstop Everything

i cannot sit this one out. i understand your respect for kiss (star wars, for sure), but they are actually the epithamy of what i hate about rock and roll. and they're a great embarrassment to america's great tradition of progressive music. simmons and kiss primarily made music to get laid. and the music reflects this motivation. it is a common motivation in rock'n'roll. i'm not interested in spending a minute of my life listening to anything like that. not to mention that misogyny's laim.

Posted by Nonstop Everything on Friday, December 14, 2007 at 09:53
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club

I hear this all the time. "They suck, their music stinks, what a bunch of crap, blah blah blah." I think everybody is missing the point here: KISS IS A BUSINESS. So what if their music sucks, they obviously don't care about that. They are about selling a lot of records and t-shirts and stuff, and they do a really great job at THAT. Enough people like them to buy their junk and make them millionaires.

Posted by The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club on Friday, December 14, 2007 at 19:05
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club

Just thought I'd add this to my last comment to be as annoying as possible...

Posted by The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club on Friday, December 14, 2007 at 19:12
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yes, this is what the piece is about...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, December 14, 2007 at 19:08
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Clinker

Here Here, they absolute crap and a disgrace to music.

Posted by Clinker on Friday, December 14, 2007 at 12:33
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Well I think this was exactly why they are a band that appealled to me when I was young and then completely disappeared off my radar once I got laid..

Musically, there's very little going on with most of it - it's all about the business franchise marketing thing..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, December 14, 2007 at 10:22
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Oh, and my reviews etc are only there to exhibit and finely tune my wonderful writing abilities, not to publicise or promote the bands/books or acts I'm writing about (that's the spin off)

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, December 14, 2007 at 18:55
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Rob

when i was 12 years old, they were GODS to me...i even went out as Gene Simmons for Halloween

and what you wrote about them being pure dont give a fuck hedonists is all good...i dont have a problem with Gene Simmons bedding down all those women...who here amongst the straight males wouldnt love to have done the same

and yeah, they were good, straight-up business-men, and i think THAT is why i find them so banal and reprehensible nowadays

arms-dealers are good, straight-up businessmen

so are crack-dealers

so are property developers

so are...

Posted by Rob on Friday, December 14, 2007 at 15:45
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Well yes, and like I say the music doesn't stand up that well...

I still have LPs of more or less everyone else I listened to back then except Kiss - could be a coincidence or maybe not...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, December 14, 2007 at 15:47
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: