Friday 7 December 2007

4 VINTAGE SINGLES


Current mood: BACK TO WORK...
Category: BACK TO WORK... Music



Vintage is an annoying word.

For me it conjures up old smelly but pricely fashionable clothes shops on and around Brick Lane E1. You know?? The kind of places that sell flowered headscarves, 3/4 length 70s dresses, and faded adidas tracksuit tops to those with no imagination for dress. People pay top dollario for it...

Which makes me wonder why I'm using the word Vintage to describe a bunch of singles that are mostly good.

I guess it describes them.

So...


Underground Resistance
Elimination
UR 009

Back in my terrorist days
I loved UR because they wore balaclavas and kept their identities secret.

I like this kind of behaviour still and the Red Planet series of 12"s are completely excellent. I can't even begin to communicate the joy I felt when I heard the one that plays from the middle to the outside edge of the record rather than the normal out to in...

So...

This 12" is strong, determined, pulsing, really quite heavy techno with more than a little soul AND no sign of FACES..


Blackalicious
Powers
Anti

The riff in Powers reminds me a lot of Princes Raspberry Parade.

It and everything else on this single is exactly the same kind of powder pop alt.rap that Blackalicious
have made their name on. I do like it, but it's a little too inoffensive and polite to get me screaming from the rafters...


DJ Pied Piper and The Masters of Ceremonies
Do you really like it?
Relentless

You probably, probably hate it
But I really really like it
I think it think it's wicked, wicked wicked!!!


Flightcrank
Twisted
Copasetik Recordings

Flightcrank is Leeroy Thornhill. Leeroy Thornhill was the lanky dancer from The Prodigy.

He was the first to jump ship..

Both Leeroy and Maxim Reality put out solo projects at about the same time. I made a few quid selling the remaindered copies to ardent Prodigy completists..

I bought at 50p and sold on at £3.00

I loved The Prodigy
but mostly for the first LP and a bit of the second.

For me, Fat of The Land was a triumph of an over-hyped LIVE show and the marketing department of XL combined with The NME realising they were so far off the pace and spirit of the electronic musical times that they'd better twitch a leg or face the BIG knife ...

But, fair play toThe Prodigy
- they worked their bollocks off touring for eons and I always liked Liams personality..

Anyway, Mr Thornhill pulled in Lee 'Scratch' Perry for remixes but as with Maxims E&LP it's still mostly ordinary. The Perry mix is OK and the rest is passable, but don't expect no miracles a genius....



Currently listening :
They Came from The Stars I Saw Them vs Reality
By They Came from the Stars I Saw Them Vs. Reality
Release date: By 18 September, 2007

21:11 - 15 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Kudos for the fantastic artwork up top...where DO you get it??? :))

Posted by Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 at 23:15
[Remove] [Reply to this]


La Paloma, the Queen of Infinity

that has to be the best artwork i have ever seen on a blog. pg, you have some mad skills.

Posted by La Paloma, the Queen of Infinity on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 at 00:33
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The oversized fish was a masterstroke...

Posted by Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 at 01:27
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I thought they were that big in real life...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 at 01:32
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yes I do...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 at 00:35
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I do it all myself without any help from anyone anytime - I believe it's possible I'm a multi-talented genius...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 at 23:27
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I believe it too...

Posted by Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 at 23:38
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Nice dress...))

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 at 23:41
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

It's vintage.

Posted by Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 at 23:47
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Vintage clothes are great...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 at 23:50
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

There's nothing I enjoy more than spending time in Vintage Clothes Shops - Have you ever heard fo Brick Lane?? It's a great place to buy clobber...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 at 00:36
[Remove] [Reply to this]


simon

Paul you should have seen brick lane back when I used to work there in the late 70's, when we still sold the stuff the forst time round!! It was one scary place that makes the Chi Chi makeover of today seem positively upmarket to what it was!!!!
Oh and by Vintage singles I thought you were reviewing some stuff from the 40's or 50's on Shellac!!!

Posted by simon on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 at 18:58
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I've heard and seen piccies of it's former life. I think I would have probably preffered it then...

It's all to obvious now - I'm rarely surprised by anything..

I'm showing my age on the vintage singles. As with wine producers I've moved to calling anything more than a few years old a vintage...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 at 19:04
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I prefer my clobber without somebody else's sweat patches on, thanks...

Posted by Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 at 01:29
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Apart from what I'm wearing in the photo, of course...

Posted by Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 at 01:30
[Remove] [Reply to this]


No comments: