Friday 28 December 2007

LATIN JAZZ...


Current mood: WARNED...
Category: WARNED... Music



Inbetween the snatch and grab of Oxford Street and the actors inside and outside the pub, I walked Berwick Street..

Depicted on the front cover of Quoasis - What's the Story Morning Glory, Berwick Street used to be a mecca of record shops, home to studios, PR agencies and all the other sideline buff that feeds and feeds off the money spinner that was music...

In total, I've spent weeks of my life browsing and buying Berwick Street. There used to be 9 or 10 independent record shops - but as download times dictate, they're dying out..

There's probably 6 left and yesterday I passed Mister CD to find it's the latest to go..

The trouble with Mister CD was that it mostly stocked crap: Returns, remainders, iffy commercial bootlegs of classic artists, shoddy compilations, major label flatulance and chart music, but with everything at a quid I felt sure I could rustle up something worthwhile...

Well, I think I did, but I have no clear idea. They seem to be South American Experimental Jazz LPs - If anyone recognises or knows anymore, do let me know...

Time Machine - The Best of Direct Drive & First Light 1981-83
Jazz Band De Free - Ego
Chivo Borraro - El Chivo Borraro En Vino
Julinho - O Som Do Julinho
Orlann Divo - A Chave Do Sucesso
Jorge Lopez Ruiz - Bronca Buenos Aires


Currently listening :
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
By Pink Floyd
Release date: By 25 October, 1990

19:15 - 31 Comments - 8 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Christopher Nosnibor

I doubt it's entirely coincidental that jazz is only a letter away from jizz.

I'm not going to start up again on the demise of the (independent) record store: I've already blogged myself silly on the subject to a few lacklustre 'hear hear' comments, but ultimately, it seems that as consumers we (as a nation, a society) are inherently lazy and don't give a fuck because we're quite happy to download inferior quality recordings without artwork or info (or anything physical we can lend to friends) on MP3. And that goes for all music, and not just South American Experimental Jazz (which is too expensive at any price).

Posted by Christopher Nosnibor on Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 20:26
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

So what's your beef with South American Jazz??? Have you heard it all or are you just guessing??

I don't have any problem with mp3's without artwork - artwork is most normally an add-on done by folk interested in making money as graphic deisgners.

Independent record shops are all very well, but very exclusive and snobby. Personally I prefer downloading - there's less attitude...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 23:54
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Christopher Nosnibor

Well not ALL of it, no. I'm no masichist.

Posted by Christopher Nosnibor on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 19:37
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Well I'm playing one of these LPs now.
It's the Jazz Band De Free - Ego...
Sounds like pretty standard jazz so far...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 19:49
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Christopher Nosnibor

Oh dear. Never mind.

I'm giving my ears a night off, not just jazz, but all sounds. I've even muted my keyboard and am drinking my beer through a straw so as not to make any accidental slurping sounds.

Posted by Christopher Nosnibor on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 20:31
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Good thinking on the beer...

Are you wearing ear mufflers so none of the neighbours Friday night partying gets to you??

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 20:49
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Christopher Nosnibor

...pardon?

Posted by Christopher Nosnibor on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 20:57
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

The Orlan Divo record is ace by the way!! You should take them headphones off, get down to Mister CD and soak it on in..!

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 21:27
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Clinker

It's sad but true. We just have to get used to it or sound like our parents. Radiohead are apparantly going to do exclusives for independent record stores only. Colin Greenwood (Rhead bassist) told me this personally. Musicians do care and some are doing what they can, but it is unfortunately the future.

At the end of the day its a rip off to only get mp3s for your money. A good reason to give it away! Prince, Charlatans, Radiohead, Futureheads....oh and Clinker ;) (www.clinker.org.uk)

Who knows what the future will be. At least its moving on from the stale old farts and becoming more interesting (on a positive note).

Posted by Clinker on Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 20:49
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Radiohead can kiss my arse...

I've never heard a more self indulgent and dully comfortable band - if i wanted to kill myself I'd play them, but otherwise their records will always stay a million miles away from my mp3 player...

I think the future is very bright. recorded music has never been so free as it is now...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 23:57
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Christopher Nosnibor

Whatever I think of Radiohead's music recently, I have to say I like their anti-marketing strategies. Only trouble is, there are so few independent stores left! Not that there's much to shout about in the remaining chains... HMV's currently stocking only 1 (yes, ONE) single at the moment, in the form of the X-factor winner's effort. Hmm, so, what's gonna be the Christmas number one?

I'm not entirely pessimistic, because as you've identified, there are artists who are finding their own ways of going about it. Keep up the good work, and fight the fight!

Posted by Christopher Nosnibor on Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 20:57
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

There's more to life than fighting..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 00:01
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Christopher Nosnibor

Yeah, but it's Saturday, and Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting.

Posted by Christopher Nosnibor on Saturday, December 22, 2007 at 20:47
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

You like Elton John??

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, December 22, 2007 at 23:28
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Clinker

Yeah wouldn't it be great if bands as big as Radiohead ONLY released there stuff via independents. How many independents would there suddenly be. Utopian I know.

Big up to Fugazi then,who've always stuck a finger up to the industry.

God I must go out for a beer!

Posted by Clinker on Thursday, December 20, 2007 at 21:21
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

You either have to produce music OR play politics..

Fugazi have always seemed more interested in the latter..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 00:02
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Purveyor of Nothing

you're listening 2 pink floyd AGAIN! My little go at Led Zep the other day is still mainly fuelled by the bigger boys throwing cassettes at my head when I sniggered at this and other prog bollocks.However....I did used 2 listen 3 interstellar Overdrive,whilst spinning a mirror ball as the sun went down.It was lo-fi,sure enough,but it was makeshift psychedelia in my bedroom in a provincial town.I always said I would make some oil slides and never got around 2 it :(

Posted by Purveyor of Nothing on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 00:05
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I got stonned earlier on and played 'Piper at the gates' but i didn't love it half as much as I did a month or so ago...

Apart from 'Bike'..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 00:09
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Purveyor of Nothing

it can become 2 contrived,and on the getting stoned front....less is definitely more.Dont do it 4 ages and you'll giggle like a bastard.I actually watched a programme about drug use and I can understand and agree with what they're saying in retrospect,altho' I wouldn't hear of it at the time.If you are gonna have a smoke...Goldie 'Timeless' is a good album :)

Posted by Purveyor of Nothing on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 11:27
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

There's so many good albums to get stonned too, which is why I spent about a year and half stonned - at least that's my excuse...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 13:17
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Mog Hartley

Nah! the ultimate album to get stoned to is a compilation called boredom is deep and mysterious. hard to get hold of but worth it.

Posted by Mog Hartley on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 12:47
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

My favourites would be the first 3 Spiritualized LPs - pure indulgence on a stick...)

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 13:18
[Remove] [Reply to this]


KvKvG

sorry, my new favorite stoner record is the new radiohead album, you should givr it a go, its a very happy record about sex and love...and a liitle about american tourture techniques.
otherwise my fav stoner records are lp 5 by auetchure, damaged by lambchop, clearspot and trout mask replica both by beefheart. or anything by dEUS.

Posted by KvKvG on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 20:10
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I was playing The Residents yesterday and that was too fucking odd, though it did make me laugh (but this also happens when not stonned)..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 21:48
[Remove] [Reply to this]


KvKvG

funny music is good. I want a copy of 'our kid, eh?' by the shirehorses, the songs are probally shit but the cover is worth at least £4.00 in humor value. the ultamate stoner comedy album is 'why bother' which is a series of improvisational interviews between chirs morris and peter cook .

sometimes i like cheese when im stoned, y'know anyting from soul fm, that goes down well when im not in the mood for vetitian snares, who is apparently retiring, have you herd any news about that?

Posted by KvKvG on Saturday, December 22, 2007 at 00:03
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Christopher Nosnibor

Oh you should hear the first Shirehorses album 'The Worst Album in the World... Ever!' - yes, it's shit, but very funny.

Posted by Christopher Nosnibor on Saturday, December 22, 2007 at 20:49
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I always hated The Shirehorses....

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, December 22, 2007 at 23:30
[Remove]


Purveyor of Nothing

I am actually well jealous of all your suggestions as I no longer smoke,as I had mademyself poorly with it.Sometimes i make 'tea' but its just NOT the same.I love the early spiritualized albums....also Spacemen 3 and 'Loop' But Gong and the Ozrics can eat my owl pellets,'man' xxx

Posted by Purveyor of Nothing on Saturday, December 22, 2007 at 20:09
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yeah, I can agree with that...

The Ozrics and Gong have never much floated my boat...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, December 22, 2007 at 23:32
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Mog Hartley

I never got into Spurtulised. saw them at a very wet glastonbury 97 maybe. Yawn!
The new Radiohead Album is pretty damn good but if you don't like em you won't like it

Posted by Mog Hartley on Saturday, December 22, 2007 at 20:39
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Spiritualized is about THE most self indulgent and self pitying music I've ever heard - which is why i love to hear it when I'm stonned...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Saturday, December 22, 2007 at 23:32
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: