Friday 14 December 2007

BLAH BLAH BLAH THIS CHRISTMAS....


Current mood: ANOTHER TRUE STORY...
Category: ANOTHER TRUE STORY... Music



This time last year I was begining to get a sniff that music writing might be my temporary saviour...

Yes boss, for once a regular start up mag felt it could cope with the Giovanni persona and good things looked like to be ahead...

Of course the mag folded before it began, but it got me started and the rest has been played out on these here pages..


The second gig I was sent to with that dead mag, was at the Carling Academy in Islington.

I was due to be reviewing a band called Black Cherry. I didn't think that much of them, but the penultimate band were fucking great..

BLAH BLAH BLAH

They were the kind of band that make you take notice. TIGHT beyond compare. Clever and definately pop original and LIVE polished

Then came The Wombats - they were fucking awful!


Anyway, the thing that sold me on BLAH BLAH BLAH was their signature track Caravan this Christmas..

Not only is this a great novelty track, but I could relate to it...

Yes boss, I'm one of the few music writers who's spent a christmas in a caravan..

It was 2002 and I'd been due to do a friends thing which fell through. This left me with two options: Go to the family (done the previous 27 years) or go to the caravan alone..

I opted for the latter and to make it more interesting, decided not to eat or drink at all for 24 hours..

Yes boss, rather than gorging myself stupid as does more or less everyone else, I sat around starving, thinking about how fantastically talented and original I was ...


Anyway, after this Carling Academy gig, I went up to the lead singer of BLAH BLAH BLAH and told him I'd spent a christmas in a caravan and that I liked his band. He gave me a CD, I gave him my card and said I'd be in touch...

I never managed the 'in touch' bit..


Meanwhile, The Wombats have almost had a hit and I read yesterday that BLAH BLAH BLAH are going on a UK tour with Kate 'puke my guts up sickly sweet' Nash...

It's a funny old musical world...


Currently listening :
Cake or Death
By Lee Hazlewood
Release date: By 23 January, 2007

01:18 - 8 Comments - 6 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

graham

Great band! I've seen "BLAH BLAH BLAH" play live about 5 times now. Mostly at my local venue "the square" in Harlow. They're a local band who I have always thought, (along with "theworldonfire") are surely destined for huge recognition. A previous incarnation of this band "jenny spent a penny" won the Harlow rock contest a few years back. My mate Chris plays bass for them & works at the square where he does the sound on thursdays showcase nights while I dj.

Posted by graham on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 12:13
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Harlow's an odd place. I went through there on the bike on the way to Cambridge..

You know Chris from Blah Blah Blah?! I'm trying to get hold of him or them for a chat. They're pretty elusive on myspazz, so if I come up short, maybe you could put in a word for me??

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 14:33
[Remove] [Reply to this]


graham

Harlow is indeed an odd place, despite the fact that most of my friends are from there & they're not odd at all.... well most of 'em aren't.
I can ask chris to contact you if you're having no luck with their myspazz page. They are a busy band of course, particularly on the run up to christmas with their novelty festive tune. If you want to send me your e-mail or telephone number in a message I will pass it on to him this thursday. I wouldn't let him know what you think of Kate Nash though, as he & the other Blah's absolutely love her to bits.

Posted by graham on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 13:55
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yeah great...

If they're interested, tell'em to email me at paul@48days.info and we can do an email Q&A..

I can agree to not talk about Miss Nash if it's going to cause bother, but I can't pretend I like her. I'm sure they can cope with divergent opinions can't they?!

Thanks a bunch anyways!!))

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 14:10
[Remove] [Reply to this]


graham

I'm sure they can. I'll pass Your e-mail address on to Chris tonight (thursday).

Posted by graham on Thursday, December 13, 2007 at 01:41
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Nice one!!

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Thursday, December 13, 2007 at 07:00
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club

Hey fella! I'm know you're a busy guy, pumping out several blogs everyday and all, but maybe you could take the time to review this little video I've sent you? Your reply would be greatly appreciated.
Madam X High in High School

Posted by The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 21:13
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yes, I think I can rustle up a few words on this one...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 22:03
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: