Friday 14 December 2007

AMYS DIRECTION....


Current mood: DOPEY....
Category: DOPEY.... Music



This weeks
News Of The Screws ran this rather peculiar letter from Amy Winehouse's mum to her daughter..

To be honest, this strikes me as being a very curious way to go about making a date with your daughter. I mean if someones as stubborn as a mule, why in the hell are they going to respond to this kind of an approach?!?

Whatever - it's their business...


What interests me most about this is the idea that someone who's riding an enormous wave of commercial success is seen by her family to be so badly failing...

I mean none of us want our heroes or kids to die on the job, but boozing and taking drugs is an occupational hazzard of working in the music biz from the top to the bottom.

Indeed, so few who've made it to the top have avoided the perils of addiction that it could almost be called a necesary part of things...

Sure (if reports are to be believed) Amy's sailing a long boat towards dangerland, but what's going to church on sunday and drinking herbal tea going to do to her career?!?

Shit, I'm confused....


Anyways it seems she's moved to Fish Island for the immediate future. So you can expect my semaphore interview with her to be flying in yer face any day soon...

Meanwhile here's the letter in full...


Dear Amy,

I HOPE you understand why I'm writing this. We have spoken recently but many people will wonder why I haven't run down to whatever hotel you're staying in, scooped you up and taken you home for a hot bath and a steaming bowl of chicken soup.

It's because your father and I know what you're like, Amy.

We want to help you, but we know that unless you want to be helped— unless you come to us—anything we tried would be in vain.

So this letter is my way of making sure that you know that—that all you have to do is come to us, Amy, and we'll do everything in our power to get you well again.

After all, you are still my baby and you always will be.

I pile hope upon hope that you will make that decision, Amy, and your strong will can bend for just a moment to make that decision and come home to me.

Strong

Even when you were only a rosy-cheeked five-year-old singing into a hairbrush in front of the mirror, you had a will as stubborn as a mule. Do you remember?

We couldn't ever get you to see things from any angle other than your own. You could swear day was night and Heaven help anyone who tried to disagree.

You were never a wayward daughter but you always had a strong will and a mind of your own—qualities your father and I were so proud of.

You were well brought up, you had a keen sense of right from wrong and you understood the values we always impressed on you as a family.

But you would never be pressurised or influenced into doing something if your heart wasn't in it.

I know there's no point in me ringing you, fussing over you or ordering you to do something. I need you to take that first step, darling. I need you to call me, to pick up that phone and tell me what's troubling you.

Your father and I would like nothing more—wherever you are, whatever you need, we're here for you day and night. I hope you know that. We were terrified after we saw those pictures of you earlier this week, wandering the freezing streets of London at dawn in your underwear. All I wanted to do was rush into those pictures and wrap you up in a big, warm blanket.

Do you remember those Decembers long ago when I used to swaddle you in a thick winter coat? I used to wrap you up and give you a kiss on the nose before you went out to play in the cold.

"Don't worry about me Ma, I'll be fine!" you used to laugh. But, like any mother, of course I worried. Just as I'm worrying now.

Because I know that however big, grown-up and successful my Amy gets, she still needs the love of her Ma.

Do you remember on January 14 this year, when your album got to number one? Do you remember how overjoyed your father and I both were? We shed tears of joy for you that night.

And not just because we were delighted for your success, that you had finally fulfilled that childhood dream of singing your heart out in front of millions. But also because finally, the whole country thought our little girl was just as special as we knew you were.



Some wonderful things have happened since that night, darling, but also some not so wonderful. Blake, your husband, might not be my favourite person—you know that, Amy—but he's your choice and I would never say anything about him to hurt you.

When I was quoted recently as saying "Thank God Blake's inside" what I meant was that putting him in jail might help him to clean up HIS act and change HIS life.

It wasn't said out of viciousness or to upset you. If your relationship is meant to be, it will survive.

I'm a great believer that everything in life happens for a reason, a purpose. And if you two are destined to be together forever, then so be it.

But I want you to love Blake for who he is, Amy. Not because you feel sorry for him, or because he can get you doped up. Not for any other reason than that you have respect for him.

I completely understand and sympathise with how you feel heartbroken over your separation and I'd do anything to help you end that unhappiness.

No mother likes to see her child suffering like that.

Having to cancel your tour, as well, has been very sad. But I know it's happened for the best.

Despite disappointing all of your fans, who I know you treasure so much, maybe it will pull you up and make you stop and think and take stock of where your life is going.

I pray it does. I hope it makes you realise that although you might be a superstar, you're not superwoman.

Early fame has overwhelmed you, it's dizzied you and muddled your mind. For a moment, forget you're a superstar. You're also young and vulnerable. Remember you're just an ordinary human being, no stronger than any of the rest of us. You think you're strong enough to get through this on your own, darling, but you're not.

I want you back, and I'll make you fitter and stronger. I'd like nothing better than to have you home and help you put on a bit of weight with some wholesome home cooking.

You're at your happiest in family situations, I remember. It's part of that strong Jewish tradition you were raised in. Remember how you spent time with my sister before the gig in Newcastle the other week? You felt comfortable and at ease. That's how I know family is important to you.

Destiny

But I can't force you to do something you don't want to. You have to want it to happen darling, you have to ask for it.

Me and your father, and your brother Alex all want you to be happy and quickly restored to full health. For the moment, that's all of our priorities.

We are concerned, but we're not panicking. You've got to see things in your own time and I'm sure you will.

You are a brilliant talent, of course, and if you get yourself well, you'll be able to go on and fulfil your destiny.

You're a true professional who thrives on work and you need to get back into that routine.

We know you don't want to let your fans down. We know how important they are to you and how once you're over this present setback you'll give them a show they'll never forget.

You know I'm an optimist, and that I think, with our help, you will get back on top of things.

But I know you must come to me first for that to happen.

I just hope that, because of this letter, you do. Pick up the phone.

All my love, Ma


Currently listening :
The Best of Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll
By Ian Dury
Release date: By 13 November, 2007

16:44 - 15 Comments - 5 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

MollyCoddle!!!

I told you, wholesome food is all she needs...

Posted by MollyCoddle!!! on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 at 00:48
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Wholesome food'll be the ruin of her...

Give Amy's career a chance..!!

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 at 00:52
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Mog Hartley

Am I the only person on the planet who thinks her singing is awful, It's ok on frank a bit of a novelty but her latest stuff she sounds shite!

Posted by Mog Hartley on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 at 01:03
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I like the voice, but the songs don't often grab me...

I'm not a fan of Mark Ronson. He's far too smarmy slick for my liking...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 at 01:07
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Purveyor of Nothing

I have a real soft spot for her and I dont usually warm to ANYBODY.Me and me Ma saw her at the Eden Project this summer and despite most of the crowd being alarmed and disgusted by her behaviour I had a really good time and thought 'Thats my girl' The Eden ale also helped me 2 realise where she was coming from...sTRONG STUFF! xxx

Posted by Purveyor of Nothing on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 at 02:22
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

It's risky, but I prefer this kind of behaviour to the kind a Katie Melluah or Kate Nash indulges in...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 at 02:43
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Purveyor of Nothing

why not send her smoke signals....she'll think you've got the biggest blunt going,....and I don't mean James...lol!:)

Posted by Purveyor of Nothing on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 at 10:46
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Good thinking...!

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 at 11:34
[Remove] [Reply to this]


they came from the stars, i saw them

gilr from essex singing in a american accent. does that make her a soul singer?

liar liar liar.

Posted by they came from the stars, i saw them on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 at 14:39
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I think there's a bit more to her voice than an American accent..

Though I'd have to see her sing live to be sure it's not all production production production...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 at 14:46
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Though I'd agree that she's not a soul singer so much as a pop singer...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 at 15:01
[Remove] [Reply to this]


simon

I think her mum needs to read some of those fabulous interviews Lou Reed gave in the early 70's where he bangs on about how he has this macrobiotic diet and eats nothing but health foods, and all the while he was consuming a weeks worth of Amy's intake every day!! But then Lou used to borrow his good Jewish mothers car to go and score Heroin in!!

Posted by simon on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 at 18:12
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Lou was a real wild one...

The thing is it will only come out later to exactly what degree Winehouse is canning it - at present I'm not even sure she's that bad though she's clearly having problems dealing with it all..

I was reading the other day that it's now OFFICIAILLY the case that anyone who drinks 3 pints or more a night has a drink problem - I just don't buy that kind of thinking at all..

To me, the only people who have drink problems are those who wake up and have vodka on their cornflakes..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 14:02
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Elizabeth

i don't agree i'm afraid, paul g.
celebrity is a short-lived phenomenon and something most people in britain are capable of achieving if they're deluded and arrogant enough to put their ego on reality tv.
fame derived through success and talent on the other hand, leaves a much finer, more memorable taste which can be classic and timeless.
amy whinehouse has got talent but she's pissing it away and becoming another embarrassing casualty of our binge drink fuelled culture.
i can't speak for everyone but i for one find the constant stories about britney spears, amy whinehouse, pete doherty and the like just pitiful and boring.
there's more to life, and if/when they do decide to sort it out, the bubble they've propelled themselves into (kindly egged on by the gawping UK media) is going to make it a hundred-fold more difficult to admit defeat and then start the lengthy process of facing up to all the damage they've caused themselves and those who genuinely love them.
you can judge her live performances for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dewtCShee04&feature=related

Posted by Elizabeth on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 00:03
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I've watched the clip and in all honesty don't believe it's that bad - sure she's not quite on it, but I'd be amazed if Billie Holiday or any number of other talents didn't perfom in that kind of state from time to time..

I think her taking time out is definately a good thing right now - but I honestly feel that drink and drugs are so embeded in the culture of pop music that nothing much'll change. I furthermore maintain that drink and drugs have been a key and active ingredient in the creation of a good deal of my record collection and there's no point pretending otherwise...

Sure, many thosands of people get hurt, and the endless media coverage doesn't help anyone either those directly concerned that have addictions or people who copy or who have similar problems, but I don't see what can be done about any of it...?!?

There's absolutely no question in my mind that Amy'd have sold a shitload less records without this behaviour and that her talent is partly based on it - including her best song (in my book) Rehab

I figure it this way:
Coalminers risk explosions underground or lung cancer caused by dust.
Pop singers risk death by drink or drugs.

Cynical? Maybe, but probably true..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 13:58
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: