Sunday 2 September 2007

STAPLES OF LATE



Current mood: FUCKING BANG
Category: FUCKING BANG Music



You might have noticed the hits of late have been exclusively concerned with new myspazz acts...

Truth is I've not had that much in the way of old time staples going on in my musical world since I lost my headphones a couple of weeks back.

Yes boss, this last little while I've been walking around listening to whatever the fuck has been going on in my immediate environment, rather than having loud music blocking it all to hell and back...

The 'headphones - I'm locked off form the world' trick is such a common thing here in London now that everyone has a pod or a phone. It's a truly great barrier to community and responsability. Everyone is just locked on and into their own personal playlists. We all keep our eyes in the middle distance and pretend we're DJaying at Wembley Stadium. We pretend we're not really on the fucking bus coming home from another shitty day trying to survive...

Anyway, I got my new headphones through the post Thursday and I immediately repaired down the canal to Tescos to try them out in the real world.

I was in a vibrant mood, so I wore red trousers, a yellow tracksuit top, a yellow cap and a pair of enormous red sunglasses.

I've got very into colourful tracksuits of late. It comes from the Italian connection. Yes boss, Italians love and wear tracksuits with neat pride.

Of course in the UK, tracksuits are an sad friggin joke. They're the kind of thing you only wear if you're estate quality working class, or are actually playing sports to a high professional standard (and even then they're still a big joke)

When I ask Mrs Giovanni why Italians have different standards, she tells me Italians wear tracksuits because they're comfortable to wear, she then smiles in such a away that suggests this is an unquestionable fact...

So, I've got into tracksuits, because I like colour and I to be comfortable...

Anyway, I was in Tescos dressed like a red and yellow twat and I had The Boredoms blasting through my headphones. It was mental and I was feeling disorintated. It was a combination: the music, the colours, the alienation, which beer to choose and a heavy basket weighing my arm down.

Then, in a moment the whole situiation flicked. I went from being in complete control to not.

I dropped the reduced price bread, then the ream of A4 fell and cracked open onto the floor. Everything was spinning. BAM BAM BAM! It was wrong wrong WRONG!! Blasted by The BAMBAMBAMN Boredoms INSIDE the BRUMMMMMM KKKKAKKAKKAKAKK supermarket. BUMMUBMMUBMMBDUMMMMMMMMMMM
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRMRMMMMBMBMBMMBMBMBMBMBMB
BBMMMUUUBBMMMRRMRMMRMRMRMRMRMRMR



Currently listening :
Onanie Bomb Meets Sex Pistols
By The Boredoms
Release date: By 22 November, 1994

1:14 PM - 8 Comments - 10 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

stephen

the headphones are a protective barrier... from other people's imposing normality. i once ventured to the local shopping centre with aphex twin's 'drukqs' in the headphones and felt as though i walked into the moon. good times.

Posted by stephen on August 27, 2007 - Monday at 2:34 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I find everything is alright so long as you're in control, but if the cards turn quickly at a time when there's some kind of chaos going on in your headphones, the world gets completely sticky...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on August 27, 2007 - Monday at 2:42 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Mog Hartley

I've just got a minidisc recorder and a neat little stereo microphone to record stuff for samples. If you record while wearing the headphones the stereo mic is so sensitive it amplifies the ambient sound. you just don't realise just how noisy the world is until you try it.
I never heard of the boredoms before. I like very much

Posted by Mog Hartley on August 27, 2007 - Monday at 5:45 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Hell yes. I had a minidisc recorder for a number of years. The first time i recorded stuff with the headphones on it freaked me right out....

I got heavily into recording atmospheres, conversations etc...One of the pieces I did is here...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on August 27, 2007 - Monday at 6:00 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Mog Hartley

Waiting for the race is boring ha ha! Have you got this on the Internet Archive too. it sounds familiar! can listen to field recordings quite happily and I only recently discovered you could get such good quality recordings for a set up which costs £60 so no doubt I will be doing a few.

Posted by Mog Hartley on August 27, 2007 - Monday at 8:30 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yes. Now is the time to record everything...

There's this new 1bit HD recorder out from Korg that I really want to get my paws on...

The boring shit I'm gonna make with one of those is gonna give Quoasis a run for their money...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on August 27, 2007 - Monday at 10:35 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


mark

to be fair if you do pick the wrong soundtrack to your day it can quite spoil it

Posted by mark on August 27, 2007 - Monday at 8:38 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

It's so difficult to know what's right and wrong though. I mean what's right one minute can be completely wrong the next...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on August 27, 2007 - Monday at 10:36 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: