Friday 21 September 2007

DOUBLE ALBUM REVIEW :: THE KLAXONS VS LCD SOUND SYSTEM


Current mood: UNIMPRESSED
Category: UNIMPRESSED Music



So here are 2 alt.hyped bands of the time. 2 bands riding the most recent wave of fusion of electronic and the indie - the rave and the indie dave. But, 2 bands who don't grab my balls. 2 bands that make me worry about all manner of things that aren't really that important unless you listen to loads of music all day long...


Lets start with
LCD....

I'm really not sure what the big thing is here??

I've given this lot time - many more plays than most get, in the hope I might understand the big idea. I've had reliable recomendations and I'd most definately like to see a good crossover band to follow and build on
Hot Chip, but I can't see that band here...

LCD certainly aren't shit. The songs on Sound Of Silver aren't bad. The grooves aren't bad, but this is the problem here - the whole package isn't bad, it's just not mind blowing! It doesn't make me reach for the volume knob every damn time. The instrumentation doesn't excite. They don't have the euphoria or enough of the power that I associate with good banging rave or exciting indie. The tracks meander on too long for no good reason....

Yes boss, as I hear it, the energy phases in and out - mostly out. I don't feel the need to share or broadcast. In fact, I'm listening to Depeche Mode these days (at last) and there's nothing LCD are doing that DM didn't do 20 years ago and they're not even doing it better than DM did...


The Klaxons Myth of the Near Future has a little more moshability, a little more raw unrefined power, but it's weak and thin power. It's the sort of power that wins you a couple of minor races as a neo-pro. Commentators start talking about your bright future in the Grand Tours, then in 7 years time, people are saying Whatever happenned to Figueras??

Yes boss, The Klaxons power lacks REAL, thorough, ball breaking FAT PUNCH!!!

Furthermore, I feel this LP is badly produced. There's no clarity of detail. Sure, there's a bit of the London dirge about the sound, the dirty grime of this money ridden city, and that at least, is reflective of it's times. But it makes me feel down, not the up they seem to be intending. Maybe it sounds better on Vinyl, but hardly anyone uses vinyl anymore so what's the point??

Yes boss, I remain unimpressed with this lot. They sound less lively than
Supergrass, there's the same teenage indie chorus thing, but the songs aren't quite as good as Supergrass's early songs, Supergrass had more energy and Supergrass weren't anything to write home about...


So, I don't honestly feel that the alt.hype is worth it on either count. LCD are an OK mid-bill band, the Klaxons an indie pop average
....




Currently listening :
The Essential Chet Atkins
By Chet Atkins
Release date: By 24 July, 2007

6:34 PM - 9 Comments - 6 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Paloma, First Lady of Infinity

OK. Im not too big on LCD Soundsystem...but I gave the Klaxons a quick listen, and I kind of like them...

Posted by Paloma, First Lady of Infinity on September 13, 2007 - Thursday at 10:09 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

As always it's opinion, and it's about what you like when you hear it....

With the Klaxons I have perhaps suffered with over huge expectations..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on September 13, 2007 - Thursday at 10:29 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


maryJane

what do you think of the fratellis?? i feel like they're similar to the klaxons, but i really like them. in an overly-pop sorta way.

Posted by maryJane on September 13, 2007 - Thursday at 10:58 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I've heard alot about The Fratellis (most of which hasn't been positive), but I've not knowingly heard them, so can't comment at this point in time...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on September 13, 2007 - Thursday at 11:03 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Clinker

Hmm, I love both LCD Soundsystem and The Klaxons....therefore I totally disagree. Take a song like Magick. I can't think of anyone making a sound like that. Golden Skans, pure pop genius. Not Over Yet, an inspired cover version.

Sorry but Fratellis are nothing like Klaxons. Closer to Supergrass crossed with The Faces, but not Klaxons.

LCD Soundsystem has great depth mixing Eno, Bowie, Kraftwerk then ending with a Beatlesque ballad. Brilliant! Their first album was brilliant too. Daft Punk is Playing in my House, Yeah Yeah Yeah, Disco Infiltrator, Losing My Edge (you've gotta hear that...brilliant!).

Posted by Clinker on September 13, 2007 - Thursday at 11:37 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Golden Skans is catchy, but it's straight forward indie pop. It's nothing new - it doesn't excite me...

Furthermore, I find each track on the LP becomes completely predicatble after about a minute and I don't find them good or clever enough to hold my attention...

I also don't like the vocals at all...

I find The Klaxons are about as interesting as Ash

I've heard the first LCD LP. I find it to be broadly similar to the second one.

I need feted bands to make me want to scream with genius - neither of these do...

Sorry....(

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on September 13, 2007 - Thursday at 11:52 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


stephen

give LCD time, PG, give 'em time... i was well underwhelmed by 'sound of silver' at first... but now i can safely say that i love it, it is genius, it has a sneaky way of getting under your skin and, mark my word, will be sitting safely in your 'top 5 albums of 2007' come december. btw i am not being paid to say this.

seriously. it's one damn classy album. subtle, sneaky and superb.

Posted by stephen on September 14, 2007 - Friday at 1:22 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

The problem is listening to them has become like a job...

I like the vocals and I like the band form the interviews etc - but musically it isn't happening on Planet Paul...

The best hope is to forget all about them and return to it in a coupla years and see if there's a slight return...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on September 14, 2007 - Friday at 1:29 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Mog Hartley

I quite like both Only heard em on the radio though and I haven't rushed out to buy the Albums so I don't know If I'm agreeing with you or not.

Posted by Mog Hartley on September 14, 2007 - Friday at 12:23 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: