Friday 21 September 2007

ALBUM RE-REVIEW :: WILEY – PLAYTIME IS OVER


Current mood: LOCAL
Category: LOCAL Music



Right, I figured the best way to review and understand this LP, was to walk the area of London from which
Wiley and his Grime compatriots, such as Mr Dizzee Rascal descend...

Yes boss, I listened to Playtime Is Over on my walkman phone in and around Bow, E3

Blimey! Is this a sign PG3 is to stop talking nonsense to women all day and buckle down to a complete and absolute dedication to his music reviewing job??

Hell no!!

Fish Island is on the edge of Bow E3, so all I had to do was open the front door, leave the house (PANIC!!!), lock the door, check it was locked, walk down the stairs, go out of the security gate, shut the security gate (BANG!!!) check that's locked, walk through the car park (Did I turn the hob off? What about the doors? Did I definately lock them?? Have I got my keys?? Where's my money?? Do I have any money?? Is that all the money I have?? IT CAN'T BE ALL THE FUCKING MONEY I HAVE!!?) go through the second security gate
(BANG!!!!) check it's locked and there I was: Bow E3 - the very hood that's given birth to the only credible form of UK Hip Hop.....

Yes boss, this is where Grime and
Wiley is at: Bow E3...

Now, this isn't some kind of mean boast or special claim that I'm down with the UK hip hop kids.

No, I can confrim I've never cruised around Bow on my mountain bike with a sheath knife selling blow, neither have I ever hung around on street corners leering at THE ENEMY...

No boss, I'm basically a soft imported pussy, and I live in a badly built yuppie flat, in a new media prison, behind two big FUCK OFF metal gates and a 24 hour secutiy guard, all of which are designed to keep the locals most definately OUT!!

I do however love every aspect of Bow E3, and so it seems does
Wiley...

Yes boss, so much does
Wiley love Bow E3, that track no2 of this LP is called Bow E3. And as I was walking around listening to it, I felt even more at home than normal: Roman Road, St Stephens, Devons Row - it was like walking around town with an audio guidebook

So what....?

Well for my limited money, Grime/Eskibeat, or whatever you care to call it is being very seriously underappreciated because it's a little hardcore, because the trendmakers and PR record types STILL can't get over the four rock n roll white boys in a band thing, AND because these same folk are shit scarred they'll get stabbed if they ever come anywhere near Wileys version of Bow E3. And this is a shame, because the sharp, taught aggresive rap style and hammer blasting screw jack fucking beats of Grime are rather unique, and one of the few very important musical things that's happening in the UK right now...

The LP, THE LP, talk about the firggin LP...

OK, basically, the great thing about this particular LP isn't the unreleneting all out agression that characterises the Grime sound, so much as that it reflects the complete and general atmosphere of both Bow E3 and Grime...

Yes boss, other than in the new media prison ghettos, Bow is a pretty friendly and very human place and this is strongly reflected in Playtime Is Over....

PIO is a heavy, but beautiful beast of an album. The production is fast, clean and full. The lyrical delivery is dynamic, hard and at times visceral, but this toughness is always underpinned by the more mellow, warm, soulful and caring moments that suggest not only the continued evolution of the sound,
but the diversity and level of talent of it's producers..

Tracks like Baby Girl, Come Lay With Me and Nothing About Me almost lean towards the R'N'B, and they clearly map out the far greater complexity to both the Grime/Eski sound and it's creators own lives and times...

So, what I'm saying is that I'd definately recommend you get your ears around this LP and for that matter engage properly and fully with the diversity of quality sound from Bow E3...

You won't get stabbed - honest....


Currently listening :
Playtime Is Over
By Wiley
Release date: By 18 September, 2007

10:25 AM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

No comments: