Friday 7 September 2007

BLACK VINYL WHITE POWDER :: NOW THAT’S WHAT I CALL BACON


Current mood: MINISTRY
Category: MINISTRY Music



The major companies wanted to cash in on this new dance market, but they didn't know how. In fact, the answer was starring them in the face.

A decade previously, Peter Jamieson had been head of EMI in Greece and Spain. For years, he'd been hooked on the idea of putting together compilation albums with the same sort of flow as pop radio, but no-one had ever managed to get the idea off the ground.

When he was put in charge of EMI in London in the early eighties he looked at the idea again.

Jamieson's problem was that, individually, even major record companies were unable to provide enough variety to produce compilation albums, and they were unwilling to co-operate with each other.

One day John Webster from Virgin turned up in Peter's office and proposed the very same thing. EMI and Virgin linked up on the project and within a year pop compilations had become the mainstay of the industry.

Jamieson was not only the man behind the world's most successsful compilation series, he was also the person who gave it its name. 'When I was a kid I would be playing the latest Beatles record or whatever and my dad would come home and put on Richard Crook's 'The Holy City' and say 'Now, that's what I call music.'

When we were preparing the first compilation album I was sitting in Virgins office and I saw a poster on the wall by the Danish Bacon Marketing Board which said 'Now that's what I call bacon' I decided it was fate - so the series was named that way. But in the end, we put the emphasis on the word 'NOW'

From then onwards, the major companies sold their music like bacon - specially selected and shrink-wrapped. But the compilation albums they were selling were mainly pop songs. They should also have been doing the same thing with dance music.

At the end of the eighties when dance music went overground, the majors were wrongfooted. While they floundered, an independent company grabbed the opportunity and headed for the big time.

That company was Ministry of Sound




(C) Simon Napier-Bell 2001 Pub Ebury Press

Currently listening :
Arular
By M.I.A.
Release date: By 22 March, 2005

1:55 AM - 8 Comments - 6 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

John Clay

Wow...thanks for the illuminating thoughts dude.

I really need to brush up on my dance music knowledge.
Robs doing something on the computer regarding the mixing of a new song so I thought I'd get online and say howdy.

HOWDY!

Hey is that the previous MIA L.P your listening to? How's it going?

Posted by John Clay on September 1, 2007 - Saturday at 4:08 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yeah, I borrowed it last night, and have been learning a bit more about who she is and where she's come from...

I find it jarring so far, but that's not neccesarily a criticism....

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on September 1, 2007 - Saturday at 4:17 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


John Clay

Apparently her dad's linked to a terrorist organisation?

I'm gonna go get a copy so after hearing it we can compare notes.

Posted by John Clay on September 1, 2007 - Saturday at 4:47 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yeah, that's what I've been reading...

Let me know when you have notes to compare and I'll do likewise...)

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on September 1, 2007 - Saturday at 4:57 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


John Clay

Cool...figure it will be in a couple of days...

Posted by John Clay on September 1, 2007 - Saturday at 7:41 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Joyce

I am a 40 year old mother. I don't go out to dance, but dance music helps me paint better :)

Ciao Amore!

Joyce

Posted by Joyce on September 1, 2007 - Saturday at 10:19 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yes, I try to dance form time to time, but i look even more ridiculous than i do normally...

Dance and electronic music is definately the best to work along to - barring none...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on September 1, 2007 - Saturday at 10:25 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


mark

great thoughts, thanks

Posted by mark on September 2, 2007 - Sunday at 10:47 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: