Friday 7 September 2007

PURPLE HAZE :: THE AFTERSHOW


Current mood: PURPLE
Category: PURPLE Music



OK, before I go on about what came next, I'd like to thank Naomi
for inviting me and organising the tickets to this whole Pribang.

When Prince played his One Night Alone show at Koko in Camden a few months back, the thought of seeing him there was truly something.

I never imagined a couple of months later I'd be getting along to what appears to have been one of the best, most unique and intimate Prince shows in the last 10 or more years...

Yes boss, I'm never organised enough with my bank card to stay up all night to nail down tickets for these kinds of sell out events, and though I might have made my way by another route, I wouldn't have bet on it...

Furthermore, I was only down for the aftershow until the day of the gig, and some swift daytime movement in the transfer market meant I was in for the main event as well - two shows in the bag and no work for Giovanni...

Thanks...)


Right, the Aftershow...

The structure with this was essentially a gamble and this appealed to the James Deman
in me.

The deal: You buy a £25 ticket for a venue that holds 2500 people tops and you know that Prince might play - if he fancies it, if the wind's blowing in the right direction etc

Nothing might happen, but you also might get a show like we got...

Yes boss, this aftershow is being lauded by the hardcore Prince fans on their forums
as being not only unique, but quite possibly the best show he's played not only of this tour, but of recent times...

So what was it???

Well, in a nutshell: Prince plays Hendrix.

Backed by only a bass and drummer, we were treated to an hour and 15 of him playing more or less pure Rock 'N' Roll.

There were cover versions of classics like Johnny Be Good & All Shook Up as well as his own numbers reworked, some of which had never been performed LIVE.

He was soloing all over the place, so much so that none of the other 2 got a look in for a quick Bass or Drum runaround, but to be honest, I really can't talk too much about it now, because a) you'll hate me and b) it can't be well described...

No boss, it might be my job, but I don't like to try and describe music. If it needs describing, it's probably no good and this was shithotgood...

So, as I keep saying, do the right thing and get along there pronto. You've got 3 weeks to make it...



Currently listening :
Enter
By DJ Kentaro
Release date: By 07 May, 2007

11:45 AM - 10 Comments - 8 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Naomi

I really need to locate the bootleg...

Posted by Naomi on August 31, 2007 - Friday at 3:05 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

As you've probably seen, there's alot of talk of this on the forums.

I'm curently downloading what appears to be the full coverage of the One Nite Alone soundcheck, gig and aftershow from Koko, but there's no sign of this one as of yet...

I'll keep them peeled...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on August 31, 2007 - Friday at 3:10 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Time Traveler

When Naomi finds the bootleg can you post it for us? lol

Posted by Time Traveler on August 31, 2007 - Friday at 4:20 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yep...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on September 1, 2007 - Saturday at 1:19 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Colossus

I gotta tell u dude.

You are seemingly in the right place at the right time ALL the time.
Even though u appear to be online ALL the time.

How the hell do u do it?

Myspace is ruining my life! I gotta go offline right now or I'll spend more hours than I can afford...phew!

Spider x

P.S Prince is just so eclectic. He's like sliced bread in that we'll always demand him.

His appeal lies in his multitasking across any POP genre you've come across...Is there any part of POP music that has not been utilised in his back catologue?

Posted by Colossus on August 31, 2007 - Friday at 4:57 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Totally right about Prince...

He covers all the bases, without ever changing who he is and what he sounds like.

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on September 1, 2007 - Saturday at 1:24 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Paloma, First Lady of Infinity

like i said before: lucky bastard. i am experiencing jealousy at this very moment.

Posted by Paloma, First Lady of Infinity on August 31, 2007 - Friday at 6:54 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Jealousy - I wanna kill him and shoot him
He's a sucker - I'd like to execute him
Recruit him - put him in my school and school him

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on September 1, 2007 - Saturday at 1:51 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Paloma, First Lady of Infinity

L.L. Cool J. is hard as hell

Posted by Paloma, First Lady of Infinity on September 1, 2007 - Saturday at 2:23 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Word..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on September 1, 2007 - Saturday at 11:24 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: