Sunday 15 July 2007

A WHOLE BUNCH OF QUICK REVIEWS 1


Current mood: RUMPLED
Category: RUMPLED Music




Hits done, it's now time to wade through the pile of CD promos to try and restore a dose of order and discipline to my fast fading career as a reviewer of music..

Yes boss, those of you who've been around for a while, might well remember a wobble I had about the whole business of reviewing records some months ago.

It went something along the lines of: Though for a man who's spent an inordinate and unhealthy ammount of time sifting in record shops, the prospect of getting free cds in the mailbox daily was intially a wonder and a joy. It becomes a touch more awkward when you then have to come up with brilliant things to say about each and every one..

Of course, I could be like all other music journos, review one in ten and sell the rest to the record exchange in Notting Hill. But, rather stupidly, I feel duty bound to say something about every last thing I recieve - even if it takes me 6 months and ultimately results in my calling someones pride and joy a complete and utter pile of shit....

Anyway, this last month i think i've managed one review of a thing I've been sent, and I've recieved about 20 new things on top of the others I'm still farting over. Yes boss, I've once again been paralysed and have instead filling this blog with recycled old pieces and rambles my hobbies etc...

So, now I will knock some out...

YES NOW!!!


So, the idea of The Orange Lights
initially excited me. The press release said something about them having ex members of Spiritualized onboard, about how the record industry of the world being excited and wanting to sign them, about how they were the next big thing!!! etc etc...

I figured they could be great and exciting...

But no, I find The Orange Lights to be one step off awful, They sound like a cross between The Verve
on their worse days and the ever so tedious and righteous Snow Patrol. Lyrically they apall me and, well, that's about as much time as i can waste on them..


Contrary to The Orange Lights, I didn't expect much at all from Revenue
. I can only assume it was a member of said band or one of their friends who handed me a copy of thier promo disc at that poncey, but lucrative Diesel U Music Party a month or so ago...

And as per expectations this ain't nothing special. Combine the larrykin loveliness of Libertines, with the dull blandness of The Arctic Monkeys, add a heavy dose of indie punk pop and you've heard it all before...


Happily, the OIB Records Split Series Volume 1 is a whole lot more interesting..

The press release says that this release exhibits a collection of the more and less famous artists on the label. I'm not sure which are which - i don't know much about either the label or the acts. For that matter I could believe it if all 4 tracks were the work of one band, as the backbone of distorted vocals and general sound is similar..

So, the first offering is by Gay Against You
. It's a punky distorted pop run along a deserted canalside path and i don't mind it..

The second, by Lonely Ghosts
, is a distorted jog somewhere near Finsbury Park. I like the little codas and though i've not worked the lyrics out, I think i like them...

The third by Munch Munch
almost starts out like a bastard queen. I like it's discordance, and yes, it has distorted vocals..

And my favourite of all, would be the 4th track by The Tumbledown Estate
. It's another distorted pop romp and the lyric is something to the effect that 'This will be our year - every year!'

HURRAH!!


So, if you're going to buy or look into any of these, take a good squizz at the latter and if you're making something better, send me it (and prepare yourself for a good long wait.....)


Currently listening :
Pattie Blingh: Sagala
By Georgia Anne Muldrow
Release date: By 08 May, 2007

22:21 - 2 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

caroline

I'm curious to hear about the giorgia anne muldrow CD. how is it? I've seen her live twice, both times she was a guest, once at the Aloe Blac show and the other time I don't remember (this is just one part why I could never review anything, most things I forget within minutes). she was so strange. at first I was just staring at her cause she was singing like björk but sort of off tune and to music that seemed somewhat "anything goes", but then she was in all these high notes and it started to get unbearable and I had to get out of there. another thing I can't stand is the "mother earth" thing. I hate it. and she was saying that between her tunes more than once. aloe blac totally sucked, too (I don't wanna give the impression here that I'm a lady-basher).............

Posted by caroline on Thursday, July 12, 2007 at 09:31
[Remove] [Reply to this]


PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : PIOUS THE UNPOPULAR

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into her...

I have a double disc set by Sinead O'Connor coming up for review in a week or so and I guess I should also cover the new Bjork album sooner or later - I can't say it's grabbed me thus far though, so I've steered clear...

I'm always looking for guest reviewers, so if you fancy knocking out any longer pieces let me know...

pg)

Posted by PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : PIOUS THE UNPOPULAR on Thursday, July 12, 2007 at 09:39
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: