Wednesday 25 July 2007

THIS WEEKS HITS :: WEEK ENDLING 20TH JULY 2007 PT1


Current mood: FLUSTERED
Category: FLUSTERED Music



The hits this week are gonna be spread around 2 or 3 entries because i've a whole bunch of stuff to report including an absurdly large number of new finds and a couple of news features which if put altogether will make this entry more than massive...

So I'll get going with some of the new music of my week and we'll see how it all works from there...

OK...

A quick note before I start: To ensure music doesn't become more important than celebrity, I now keep records of what's lighting my boat in my band new David Beckham Unofficial Journal - It's a lovely paper hardback book and i planned to draw in it, but I never draw so I've had to write instead...



So, what have I been putting between Davids covers this week??


NEW MUSIC

Well I should start with the band of my profile song of the last week or so. They're called The Van Allen Belt and I reckon they've got a wicked and exact feel for a tune. I also like the chorus choir effect on a record. In fact, I like choirs any which way and I like the grand sound. (Did I ever mention my sister is in the choir that does backing vocal on
The Divine Comedy- National Express. The Giovanni's always pop up when you least expect them to)

In no way similar is Véro ka slapé. Here we've got somekind of French folk music mixed into driving rockabilly. It's jolly, I like it. In fact it is quite similar to the VA Belt...

Mr Rourke
purveys a blend of more or less everything. More or less everything doesn't often fit together, but it more or less does here and I reckon there's plenty more to come...

Envy and Other Sins are one of those bands who are geting in here on the basis of having a defined style that seems to be an attempt to stand up for some of the finer points of English Industrial Culture. If it's for real, I like it. I might talk to them and probe a little. The music isn't 300% up my street, but it's OK and it has a tune and it's neatly put together...

NOW
are an interesting bunch. They're pretty hard to define and I don't really want to try, so you'll just have to go over there and take a listen...

And lastly for this episode, here's A J Holmes and the New Electric Hi Life
A Brit, living in Germany playing the Afrobeatesque lounge. It's a new sound and one that burbles softly. Surely this is what the internet and myspace is all about - Mixing and matching and making things new??


STAPLES

This weeks staples have been squeezed in here and there, but it's not been a vintage week for getting around the archive...

I've been enjoying the Ella Fitzgerald & Ellis Larkins record I bought a couple of weeks ago. It's a perfect wind down into sleep...

I've also taken a fair number of spins through
The Stars and Colossus

There's been a few helpings of
Kraftwerk

A bit of
Richard Hawley

Some MDK (Though there's plenty of MDKs on myspazz I don't believe this one (who recorded on Spymania for a few years) is)

Some Pattie Blingh

And an excellent disco compilation, the name of which escapes me..


LIVE

All gigs are getting their own pieces this week


AND MIXES

are getting their own posting 'n all....



Currently listening :
Fin de Siècle
By The Divine Comedy
Release date: By 08 December, 1998

14:48 - 7 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Paloma Pirate

the water bottle is just charming. what books do you have under that hat? Why so many sunglasses?

Posted by Paloma Pirate on Friday, July 20, 2007 at 21:34
[Remove] [Reply to this]


PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS

Yes, the water bottle is charming

dirty books

i often have to change sunglasses 4 or more times a day

Posted by PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS on Friday, July 20, 2007 at 21:40
[Remove] [Reply to this]


fannie vincent

i don't buy it....its all so...wound.

Posted by fannie vincent on Friday, July 20, 2007 at 23:12
[Remove] [Reply to this]


PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS

Wound??

Posted by PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS on Friday, July 20, 2007 at 23:29
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Paloma Pirate

as in a skin injury? or wrapped around another object? or disguised and devious??

Posted by Paloma Pirate on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 00:11
[Remove] [Reply to this]


lamey

in hindsight... all of the above.

Posted by lamey on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 01:00
[Remove] [Reply to this]


PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS

Posted by PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 01:04
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: