Sunday 15 July 2007

THIS WEEKS HITS :: WEEK MIDDLING 11TH JULY 2007



Current mood: RUPERT
Category: RUPERT Music




Well this last week has been nothing short of mental in almost every regard...

There was the quadrupple bypass for Mr Giovanni Snr, the bluffing of the art department role for the 'Ripper' film, The Tour de France coming to London, a new computer that needed to be broken in, the return visit to the lab for the medical trial for flu and a real life shooting here on Fish Island...

I kid you not, last week, i couldn't even go for an 11 o'clock, without running into a tube train crash - It was endless drama, endless running, endless heavy breathing and endless excitement, all of which had to be combined with my other more normal work and my rampant belief in lager....

So, last night I had a chat with my boss (the pope of popes) And I told him I needed a quiet week to catch up with my shit. I have upwards of 30 cds to review and a whole bunch of blogs to write and now i need some peace I implored, Turn the fucking volume down why don't you??!!

The Pope of Popes said OK

So without any further bullshit, lets get going along that road with this weeks hits...



NEW STUFF


My regular readers will know that I'm a big fan of new technology being used in music. Now, this isn't to say I like to hear dull geek tracks made by avid readers of 'Future Music' But it does mean i like to hear plenty of mental effects and new sounds when combined with good tunes and melodies and if at all possible a touch of soul and good feel....

How much Judith Priest fits this mould i'm not quite sure at this early stage, but the franticisty, chaos and speed of delivery was ringing a bell for me last week, I therefore have to recomend her badself and whilst I'm there I'll put in a word for Judus Priest as well. They don't often reach the Giovanni deck in 2007, but I was certainly a big fan of the song Painkiller about 18 years ago.

As I said at the top, franticisity
(Another invented word Paul Giovanni 2007) was the theme of this week and because of this, I was more than partial to Acid House music, and as I was hunting around for it and new angles on it, I was overjoyed to find myspace awash with countless acid acts...

Though not exceptionally original set ups such as Acid War are bravely continuing a fine musical tradition - one that secondo me has never been properly credited by most of the idiots who judge music...

Davey is a different bag of balls altogether. More in the line of someone like Beck, we're talking a bag of somewhat experimental indieland and I enjoyed drifting into it's untidy edges...

As with Northern Soul, Rockabilly is a genre i know next to nothing about, so forgive me if Fashion Plate Daddy are derivative of the general sound. All I know is that I enjoyed hearing them earlier on today...

As for electonica treats, this week has thrown up the farly warm beguiling Don Shtone Derquion and Gilbert (not the one most often seen with George)

And as for plain wierdness howsabout Mayham Mary

OK...



BLOGS, WRITING ETC



You may remember me advocating you get along to read Roger The Record Producers Blog last time I was in the business of recomending hits. If you haven't yet visited his place, pop right along there now. And if you have, and need to hear more, get right along to Piratepods.com and download the new interview with Mr Greenawalt right away...



LIVE



JACKSHIT!!! Didn't see a live band or act all 2 weeks. I should be sacked for that...



STAPLES


I've had strange taste in staples this last week.

For one, I've become interested in the false preachings of Kirk Franklin. I mean those big religious gospel folk certainly know something about something. I'm not quite sure what it is they know and I might also add that the shooting on Fish Island took place right outside and aimed at someone leaving the New Bethel Revival Ministry Church... but i like the bluster and nosense of such music a great deal...

Otherwise it's been plenty of Richie Hawtin AKA Plastikman. When emotions are running high, I find there's nothing better than a dose of some clinical technical techno and Hawtin is the absolute master of that...

I've also been having a bit of T-Toe this last 7. I came across him and reported his class some time back in this very blog and in response he was good enough to send me a CD of his work. I've now finally got around to listening to it and can report that his Brasstronica (Another invented word Paul Giovanni 2007) is a wonderful listen. Contact him for more details....

And that my friends is about that....


Currently listening :
God's Property From Kirk Franklin's Nu Nation
By Kirk Franklin
Release date: By 27 May, 1997

17:11 - 7 Comments - 8 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

T-toe

Man's got taste!

Cheers for the writings.

T-toe

Posted by T-toe on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 20:55
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Paloma Pirate

I think Rob Halford lives here in San Diego...that's what I'm told anyway.
Thanks for mentioning the pirates!!
:)P

Posted by Paloma Pirate on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 21:23
[Remove] [Reply to this]


PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : PIOUS THE UNPOPULAR

Rob Halford was one of, if not THE, first metaller to come out as being gay - which could explain the San Diego connection.

It was either him or Roddy Bottom of Faith No More..

Quite how someone with the name Roddy Bottom could manage to be 'in' almost his entire career before admitting his sexuality to an air of general surprise from mags like Kerrang and fans alike is beyond me....

?????

Posted by PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : PIOUS THE UNPOPULAR on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 23:16
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Paloma Pirate

yes. mr halford is rumored to live in an area called "hillcrest," which is the heart of the gay community.

Posted by Paloma Pirate on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 23:44
[Remove] [Reply to this]


heidi

I have no idea of what you are talking about, but i enjoyed it nonetheless.

Posted by heidi on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 23:03
[Remove] [Reply to this]


PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : PIOUS THE UNPOPULAR

woof....

Posted by PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : PIOUS THE UNPOPULAR on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 23:17
[Remove] [Reply to this]


John Clay

Love the profile pic Hiedi. Cool.

Posted by John Clay on Thursday, July 12, 2007 at 19:07
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: