Sunday 22 July 2007

CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW ::: DYKEHOUSE - MIDRANGE


Current mood: BIG AND BEAUTIFUL
Category: BIG AND BEAUTIFUL Music



Finding out I loved Midrange by Dykehouse was an arduous process.

After hearing a bleepy and melodic track called The Unbearable Phatness of Being on The Sacred Symbols of Mu collection, I got Midrange and was expecting to hear more or less anything but a 14 track blast of retro shoegaze action.

No, I was looking for chiming melody and sweet light. Soothing percussion and the rampant layering of succulent bleeps only made possible by technology made post 1993.

I was massively disappointed. Indeed half way though that very first listen, I almost deleted the whole LP on general principle that drone shoegaze rock was 15 years old and was – even at it's best - nothing more than a bad comedown and the very last thing one needs to maintain a cheery outlook...

But for once my stubbornness found a prcatical use, I played it again and again and again, and I'm glad I did, because after about the 8th listen I realised that Midrange is a modern day pop masterpiece.

So what's it all about?

Well, Greg Dykehouses 'Mission Statement' with Midrange was to achieve what Kevin Shields never managed to - a worthy follow up to My Bloody Valentines Loveless.

Mr Dykehouse himself isn't sure as to what degree he's succeeded. I'd say he's overachieved.

Midrange has the intensely beautiful musical layering of Loveless, but a keener lighter and more commercial pop edge. It has better melodies and is uplifting.

You see, it's the detail that got me and when it did, I couldn't stop playing Midrange. Sounds like the Guiro like stroking sound on Lost Holiday and the pure pop bliss of titles like Lost Holiday. The fact that first track is called From the Cradle and the last To The Grave. That Midrange has pomp and complete bluster throughout. That it seethes magnificence and SIZE from every pore. That it makes you want to throw your doors open and broadcast it to absolutely everyone..

And let's not forget this has been pieced together by one man and not a band.

Yes boss, there's no doubt in my mind that had Midrange been made by a Mancunian recluse and released on Creation in 1993, it'd have been the making of a legend. In 2007 Mr Dykehouse would either be whopping it up producing The White Stripes in Monte Carlo or in bed recovering..

As it happenings it came out in 2004 – Don't hold that against it! And whatever you do, make sure you listen to it…


http://www.myspace.com/dykehousemusic
Currently listening :
Midrange
By Dykehouse
Release date: By 04 May, 2004

13:50 - 2 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Paloma Pirate

well...i LIKE shoegaze. OK. I like it. No. In fact, I LOVE it. It makes me HAPPY.

I just took a listen on this guy's profile and I like it very much. So thanks for turning me on to this one...
:)p

Posted by Paloma Pirate on Saturday, July 14, 2007 at 17:44
[Remove] [Reply to this]


PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : PIOUS THE UNPOPULAR

Trust me on this one and buy it straight away...

It's the best shoegaze album ever made - it's an undiscovered classic...

It's a proper album made to be an album and not a vague collection of tracks...)

Posted by PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : PIOUS THE UNPOPULAR on Saturday, July 14, 2007 at 17:50
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: