Sunday 22 July 2007

A WHOLE BUNCH OF QUICK REVIEWS 3


Current mood: SPEEDY
Category: SPEEDY Music



Right, my latest bout of pontificating and flatulating is done for now, and though I'd love to harp on for an hour or two about the wonders of todays stage of the Tour De France, I'm going to contain myself, shut
James Deman into a prickly sporting drawer, and get back to the main event of music critique and remarkable recorded insight..

AKA

So here we go with a quick couple of reviews....


Artist:
Cornelius
Title: Gum/Cue 7"
Lable: Korovoa

It must be a few years since i got wind of Cornelius. God knows how or where that was - i probably heard him on the radio or some other old, quaint and antiquated mode of musical learning.

Whichever way it was, it was another while after I heard his name that i first listened to his LP Fantasma and from that first play I felt I'd experienced a great pop genius of our time.

Yes boss, i figured Fantasma to be a fantastic and groundbreaking LP. Basically, Cornelius sounded like a good version of Beck.

Now, I'm not really anti Beck. Thing is, I've never been sure just how good Beck really is and I never found I could separate his actual talent from the massive marketing machine of Geffens opinion of his talent. As far as I could hear, Beck was very hit and miss and ultimately completely forgetable and when he was voted to the most important person on the planet by Select Magazine I realized there was something very seriously wrong with Select Magazine.

All this said, I could always see what he and Geffen were driving at and when I heard Fantasma I felt sure I'd found the exact destination of that drive...

Now, a number of years later, I'm not so sure about Fantasma or Cornelius, because it, like Becks entire output, has drifted off into irrelevance on Planet Paul Giovanni..

Yes boss, it's a long while now since I've even listened to Fantasma and after recieving this double A sided single to review, I've put it lurk on my phone from where it will appear in a playlist and maybe once again show it's brilliance any day now.

I sincerely hope it surprises and amazes me once again, but I'm afraid this single hasn't..

Neither of these songs are bad.

They're both interesting, they're well worked, unusually sung, in fact they're far better than most of what i get sent to write about. They're most definately good for something - they might well work in the context of an album, but they didn't work as pop singles for me..

Yes boss, my problem with them is they're not clever alt Brian Wilson pop gems and that's the high bar I've set for Cornelius.....



Artist:
Lonely Boy
Title: ....and other tragedies
Lable: Filthy Little Angels

So, I'm a stickler for innovation and I'm not a big fan of anything at all that's retro...

You won't find Ocean Colour Scene or Oasis in my playlist, well not very often anyway...

And that was always part of my problem with that whole Brit Pop thing. With the exception of bands like The Boo Radleys & Pulp, the whole thing sounded too deriviative, retro and soft to get too very excited about...

Well an artist called Lonely Boy has knocked something out here that makes me think a little of Brit Pop, though I can't imagine why other than I've just had a large double espresso and I'm begining to ramble on irrelevantly (even more so than normal)...

Anyway, this an LP of mostly quite lo-fi guitar and vocal numbers with some extra instrumentation here and there. And I can't quite decide if I like it or not. I think it's probably OK, but it's not really my bag.

It reminds me a little of the Boo Radleys quieter moments. It's quite inofensive, the ex-wife might like it, it's OK and that's about as much as I can say...




Currently listening :
Mr. Lonely/Country Boy
By Bobby Vinton
Release date: By 14 August, 2001

19:02 - 2 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

mark

i saw cornilius live at glasto about 5 years ago, it took 45 minutes for him to put up a screen at the front of the stage which he dropped to the floor after 30 seconds. point was also a great work but it wasn't a great album it was a great video work to be perfomed live

Posted by mark on Sunday, July 15, 2007 at 20:36
[Remove] [Reply to this]


PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : PIOUS THE UNPOPULAR

I've never seen him LIVE, though had I have been a bit quicker off the mark i probably could have blagged the guestlist for a show at Koko in May...

And another thing - it's just occurred to me that the LP might not be called Fantasma. It might be fantasm or fantasmo...?

Posted by PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : PIOUS THE UNPOPULAR on Sunday, July 15, 2007 at 20:50
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: