Monday 2 July 2007

SPECIAL GUEST LIVE REVIEW :: THE TAMBORINES - BY ELIZABETH


Current mood: REVIVED
Category: REVIVED Music



Times are tight and a meal out in a cafe next to Archway tube station should have restored my faith in the jubilance of life tonight, but I wanted more. It could have been the combination of tuna, egg, peppers and mayonnaise in the ciabatta which left a hollow void in my stomach. Wrong. All wrong. Or the fact that Big Brother seemed to be watching me from every single television channel back at the flat. Something was missing so I ventured out for the sake of my sanity.

I had two options. I could doll-up and go to the Maddox members' club in Mayfair to see an old friend who had hired it, possibly pick up a rich Arab and solve all my financial/ relationship/ life problems in one go. Realistically - never going to happen. Or I could not even shower, walk to Camden in twenty minutes and see the familiar faces of
Psychodahlia, hear Glastonbury tales, watch bands, drink coke, smoke menthols and run home. To save any embarrassment of appearing as a social cling-on, way out of my depth in the most exclusive property on the Monopoly board, I chose the latter.

And what an excellent choice that was. The dingy living room arrangement of Bar Monsta made for a far grander atmosphere than any sterile but fabulous upper-class club for members only, who live in their suits (that's 'grand' in the Irish sense of the world; keeping it real). And this band:
www.myspace.com/thetamborines made it all happen. They comprise three folks from Brazil and their sound is unique and captivating, eery and almost beautiful. The frontman sings with an expressionless look upon his face which makes him cool. Untouchable, dripping with charisma. . . he knows what's what, and he knows he knows it. All three have been blessed with thick, South American locks which put English hair extensions and Indie mullets to shame. The girl who plays the tambourine, hence I suppose, giving the band their name, is another unique and alluring character. Their stage presence was truly felt. I don't know if that had something to do with their nationality - Brazilians are known for their silky skills on the football pitch, their good-looking, raw favela kids and their ability to host arguably the best fiestas and carnivals in the world - which may put them a step above the rest. But regardless, having seen too many mediocre or even mind-numbingly repetitious bands on the London gig scene of late, The Tamborines sounded like un-tapped talent which had just been given the keys to the kingdom. In 2002, I visited their hometown of Curitiba, and now I want to go back and re-live that novelty.

When the band finished playing, Matt Hepburn, who had just returned from Glastonbury typed a message into his mobile phone: "My ears are like an old man's and my voice is like a young queer who has just inhaled helium. It is the wrong climate to speak in. The way I see talent is it is often dominated by Arabs with big turbans digging deep enough. But you can always be your own Arab. Those who dig their own oil are always the best rewarded. With the accuracy of a common archer, though not as swift as cupid, I send my arrow yonder". If it seems like he still has acid left in his system, this could well be the case. But I understand his language.

Obrigado, Brasil.


Currently listening :
Instant Vacation
By Tambourines
Release date: By 14 August, 2006

18:08 - 3 Comments - 6 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

flappy poontours

bad link, yo.

Posted by flappy poontours on Friday, June 29, 2007 at 02:00
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Paul GIOVANNI 3RD a.k.a The Pop Pope

made good
thanks

Posted by Paul GIOVANNI 3RD a.k.a The Pop Pope on Friday, June 29, 2007 at 02:09
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Madeleine

sounds cool something to bear in mind for a visit …checked out their link and liked the tunes not to mention the spunky looking guy at the back of the picture with the massive nose, is he the one with the middle distance tube train stare?

Posted by Madeleine on Friday, June 29, 2007 at 12:19
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: