Wednesday 25 July 2007

CONFESSIONS NO1 :: WHY I LOVE MUSIC...


Current mood: CONTENT
Category: CONTENT Music



To be frank, my party panties are in a pretty poor state of repair at this point in time. Yes boss, though you might have thought it impossible for an overexcited music journo like Paul Giovanni 3rd to ever be indoors and calm, this is more or less how things are and how they've been for as long as i can remember...

Yesterday I missed out on what I'm reliably informed was a blinding stars gig and today i'm sitting with the distant echos of the Lovebox Weekender floating on the wind and I've not left the house either day, though the stars gig was free and I could easily jump the fence of The Lovebox...

Yes, as I type this, such lunch box stars as Hot Chip, Groove Armada, Blondie, The B52s and Sly and the Family Stone are playing a couple of hundred yards away and if i turned my own music down and opened the door, I'd be able to hear it

But I've had enough of the whole social aspect of music for one week and have no desire to go and stand in the mud, dodge the rain, pay £4 for a shitty beer and suffer the communion of human kind tonight...

I've always been one who's enjoyed staying in with the sound up FUCKING LOUD through the speakers or the headphones. I used to go to sleep throughout most of my late teenage with Heavy Metal at 11 down the headphones because I loved the fucking sound and the power, beauty and energy of LOUD NOISE.

I guess the bottom line with all this, is that I don't like people much and i especially don't like people in my face thinking they're fucking wonderful and special because they're confident, socially adept and wear the right look.

Yes boss, I'm one of these cunts who really enjoys my own wonderful company - who gets itchy if there's someone in the house for more than a few hours a day trying to distract my attention from what i want to be doing. And excepting a few interjections from Mrs Giovanni and the typing myspazz, I do most days in complete vocal silence...

Music is I think a social thing for most people. It's the background. It's the scene. It's the company and the characters and the dress and the lifestyle. It's what a bands image and habbits mean. It's being with mates and screaming in their face as the snare rush builds - screaming about how FUCKING HAPPY you are and HOW MUCH YOU LOVE FUCKING LOVE THEM!!!.

That's never been what it's been about on Planet Paul.

This isn't to say i never enjoy company or going out and hearing things LIVE and sharing them with others. It's more that the depth and quality of the sounds and the wonder at how they've been made and manipulated inspires and fills me with joy. It's that the characters on stage or on record are throwing their guts and every last inch of soul into making somethng sound special and completely unique.

For me, music has nothing to do with the fools who think they're the clothes of the performing artist, or those who claim they love something and then talk all the way through the fucking set, or leave early to be sure they ready for work the next day..

Music is the power, the majesty of creation and the sanctity of oblivion.

Yes, it's that music obliterates the need for close human contact and not that it furthers it that I LOVE MUSIC!!


Currently listening :
Pure Phase
By Spiritualized Electric Mainline
Release date: By 28 March, 1995

18:45 - 14 Comments - 14 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

mark

i had six tickets for lovebox last year and couldn't even give them away. i have a total distrust of any urban situated event that attempts a festival vibe. i wouldn't have jumped the fence either. too many people, with not enough to say, in one field.

Posted by mark on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 20:14
[Remove] [Reply to this]


PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS

Quite agree. I've never been tempted to go before because i don't see how a festival works in a city...

I was almost swayed by Sly and The Family, but I'd have ended up getting completely fucking hammered, drugs etc and I'd loose 3 days...

I think Festivals in general are becoming a big fucking con. Rarely does a band ever play a good festival set because the sound and gear has to be largely homogenised.

It's the stack'em up high and big mentality taken to it's absolute hilt...

Posted by PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 20:42
[Remove] [Reply to this]


(not a groupie)

man, dude, some places i go to hear live music ... i feel like a complete slobby nerd. most of the time the crowd consists of posh snobs who attend the prestigious university down the block ... i am content in ignoring them and being there to hear/support the music of strangers, acquaintances and friends. sometimes the risk is a disappointment, sometimes it's breathtaking. but i am definitely more comfortable in my room, in my pj's, with my headphones on. and of course, album reviews are tons easier then show reviews because it's not about the clothes, the crowd, the amount of dancing, but about the music, lyrics and overall emotives. i love music too even if i'm currently suffering from writer's block.

Posted by (not a groupie) on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 20:39
[Remove] [Reply to this]


PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS

I think my optimum is one or two gigs per week...

And here's an idea: A night where the bands have to wear the same clothes:

Lets have everyone in white boiler suits (the crowd included) and see how that effects things????

The best cure for writers block is to forget about writing. Don't think about it at all and wait for the desire to return...

Posted by PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 22:37
[Remove] [Reply to this]


mark

the other problem with these events is that half the crowd don't know who there watching so by the time the bands have won the crowd over there set is almost finished. a long time ago i saw a very agressive reading crowd boo all the way through a sterophonics set, so there is still a place in my heart for live music

Posted by mark on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 22:13
[Remove] [Reply to this]


PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS

Yes...

I might follow my campaign to ban nightclubs with one to ban all festivals except Glastonbury and just make that a complete fucking free for all for 8 million people and complete chaos!! Let's have that for a month or so every year and be done with it!!

Posted by PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 22:39
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Caroline

i can totally relate...sometimes you just dont want to deal...i get it = )

Posted by Caroline on Sunday, July 22, 2007 at 15:39
[Remove] [Reply to this]


PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS

Company is all the more enjoyable when you want to be in it...

Posted by PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS on Sunday, July 22, 2007 at 16:30
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Paloma Pirate

Yes!!

Music is like a good friend of mine. That's why I like it. And the fact that I don't have to talk to it. You will find, when we meet in October that I am socially awkward and am a person of few words...I do these interviews, which is a love/hate thing for me. I enjoy hearing why musicians create, but it pains me to talk to them.

Posted by Paloma Pirate on Sunday, July 22, 2007 at 21:01
[Remove] [Reply to this]


PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS

We can all sit in silence and watch Andy Warhol films...

It'll be like a autism convention...

:+)

Posted by PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS on Monday, July 23, 2007 at 00:40
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Paloma Pirate

it is true...the thought of my being autistic has crossed my mind on numerous occasions. there is a condition called Asperger's that i seriously worry i have...

Posted by Paloma Pirate on Monday, July 23, 2007 at 16:05
[Remove] [Reply to this]


PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS

Well I'm sure if I'd gone to a school which had a psychiatrist who needed kids to condemn to keep his job, I'd have been right at the top of his IN DANGER list...

I mean imagine doing a demonstartion of cutting a up a dead bird at a show and tell in todays climate!?!

GIOVANNI!!! PSYCHIATRISTS OFFICE NOW!!!!!!

Posted by PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS on Monday, July 23, 2007 at 16:12
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MOG

I can so relate to this. I'm not much of a gig goer just to lazy and whats with all that standing about. what? I'm supposed to dance! I'm 36 for fucks sake (Not to old to dance but sensible enough to realize I look ridiculous). Give me my armchair a glass of wine and turn the music up loud listen and do nothing else. It's the only way

Posted by MOG on Sunday, July 22, 2007 at 23:58
[Remove] [Reply to this]


PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS

I can dance all night on my day, but my days don't come around that often...

As with most things, I'm a very slow starter...

Posted by PAUL GIOVANNI 3RD : AKA : FUTUREPROOF PIOUS on Monday, July 23, 2007 at 00:43
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: