Tuesday 14 October 2008

One thing that’ll change....


Current mood: LUNCHTIME...
Category: LUNCHTIME... Music



if this money BANG is as bad as all the BOOYAH sayers are saying so, is there'll be less immigration into the UK...

Yes boss, the Daily Mail
readers'll get their wish and all the bright young things that currently flock here because London is hip and cool and WOW!!! AND (most importantly) WHERE THE MONEY IS!!!! will soon find another hip and happening country where they can go partying and meeting other young people and making ££££$$$$££...


Which reminds me of this nice young lady I met in the vinyard the other day...


It was lunch, and we were sat around the big long table eating and I was being my usual quiet self, concentrating soley on eating and drinking as much as I possibly could to get me through the winter...

I was also coming down with this flu, so I wasn't feeling much like chatting...


Well, I'm paying vague attention to what I can understand of the Italian conversation and I hear they're talking about me not talking, and about how the last time I did the grapes there was Diego who'd lived in London for a few years, who spoke English, which had on many occasions got me out of days of silence...

Valerio then asks the table if there was anyone who speaks English...??


Well, this rather beautiful girl who'd only arrived an hour or so before, said 'Si..' and gave me one of those 'warming' looks down the table...


Now, I've got used to these 'warming' looks down the years...

In fact on this one trip, I've been asked a few times if I'm Romanian (apparently I look like a gypsy) and when I say 'No I'm English..' the face of the asker often suddenly changes into a warm and welcoming smile...

Anyway, I look back up the table, then back across at my Father in Law, think about Mrs G and the baby G, and though many of the Italians appear to be relishing the prospect of some LIVE English talking - and I don't want to disappoint - I find I don't have anything to say, so I get back on with the more important business of eating the fine food....


Things go quiet...


I get the feeling the Italians are still waiting for the LIVE English chatter...


I find Italians really worry if people don't talk..

It took me until age 4 to say a word, so per me, being quiet is pretty easy to understand, but most Italians I've met like endless LOUD chatter and good quality ball breaking AT ALL TIMES!!!!


Well, I finish up and take the odd look at this black haired beauty down the end of the table and think that if she's got anything to say in English it can wait...

I finish eating, and then go out of the barn into the sun.

The generator is yanked into action (for the espressos) and I look about...

Black haired girl has that kind of look on - like I should go over and talk. I decide not too. Instead I stand in the sun and think about how wonderful it all is:

Here I am in the sun in Italy being royally fed, earning money, doing good kudos work with the family. I might be coming down with flu, be bankrupt and very tired, but there's with some black haired beauty wanting to talk to me and I can't be arsed..


5 minutes later, she comes over.

She asks if I am the English one.

I am..


Well, we chatter for a bit, and it turns out she's Brazillian and was living in England for 6 months until her visa ran out. She doesn't like to speak Italian - she prefers English. Her boyfriend, who is also Brazillian works in a tatoo parlour in Leyton. Leyton is only just around the corner from Fish Island .

She tells me, she is a photographer and that she's been helping her mum who is also a photographer in Brazil and that she wants to set up in the UK...

I tell her Mrs Giovanni works as the Foriegn Editor in a picture agency and that she could perhaps sort her out with a job?!?


Seeing the conversation has finally begun, I notice the Italians are looking on smiling and watching the action. They really LOVE to see conversation, even when they don't understand it!!!!

They ask her (in Italian) if she likes the grape picking?!?!?

I attempt to translate.

She says 'I do, but it's boring...'

Everyone laughs...


Well, I didn't much talk to her again, and now I've had my 3 days off...


Anyway, I've gotta fly - literally, and I'm running super late...

Ciao for now...!)



Currently listening :
Totally Wired: Anthology
By Fall
Release date: 2002-07-29

No comments: