Friday 24 October 2008

I thought I was joking....


Current mood: YEP....
Category: YEP.... Music




It was a shallow boast to make myself feel good, or at least talk myself and my blogs up - but I'm beginning to think I've guessed right on this one....


Yes boss, I do think mags are dying a slow death and there's no better example of how and why than the new stupid dross titles coming out and the standard of writing in them...

I mean, if you're gonna release a magazine now, you've gotta realise the only thing magazines can do better than the web is giving people writing on paper - we all do it, but I think folk still don't much like reading off the screen...

Yet all the new mainstream mags I see don't understand the concept of good writing, let alone exhibit it, and this is why i think they're doomed....


The key problem is that though magazines are increasingly full of fucking adverts, mags always cost way too much to produce and distribute, compared with web content that's available for more or less FREE!!!!!

Then there's the lack of multimedia available on paper - sure you can attach a CD or DVD to the cover, but there's more expense, and how many people actually fucking use them once, let alone more than once???

And then there's the fact you can't really have a big circling mag without being a slave to your advertisers - whereas on the web you can either do without completely (websites are dead cheap) or provide your content in spite of them...

I.e..

Say, the breasty boy team at Front Magazine wanted to take up my kind and generous offer to add some fun and punchy substance to their quite appalling mag - what's the betting that their advertisers would have over-ruled the idea...???

6/4 ON - or worse...

AND THESE DAYS NO-ONE FUCKS WITH THEIR ADVERTISERS!!!!


Sure mags are gonna hang about - much like vinyl will...

They have their appeal, and it's still nice to touch the paper and take your eyes away from the screen - but that kinda deal is becoming a luxury and not the preferred and easy choice....



Currently listening :
For Every Solution There’s a Problem
By Lee Hazlewood
Release date: 2002-06-03

No comments: