Thursday 8 May 2008

THE WRITING ON THE PAVEMENT....


Current mood: LOVING LIFE...
Category: LOVING LIFE... Life






In 2002, I moved into a flat just around the corner from the artists Gilbert & George, since when I've paid a reasonable level attention to their art....


Now, to be honest, much of G&Gs art is pretty similar and not often the kind of thing that excites me. In fact if it wasn't so unashamedly dirty I probably wouldn't like it all...







Pictures aside, the thing I've always loved with these 2 gentlemen is the way they go about things and the words they say....

Yes boss, I have a book called The Words of Gilbert & George and to be frank it's much better than most books written by most writers:

It's full of top quality analysis, thoughtful real thoughts and plenty of top grade analysis of humanity....


But, I guess the strangest thing with the G&G connection is that since moving into their neighbourhood, I've gone bald and entered into a long term relationship with a short Italian from the Dolomites called Paola.


Gilbert was born in
San Martin de Tor in Italy, before moving to England.

George was born in Plymouth in the United Kingdom.

The two claim they came together because George was the only person who could understand Gilbert's rather poorly spoken English.

In a 2002 interview with The Daily Telegraph they said of their meeting: "it was love at first sight." (Telegraph, 05.28.02). It is widely assumed that Gilbert & George are lovers, and although they dismiss questions about their sex lives, George, in the documentary 'Imagine', aired on 08.05.07 in the UK, referred to Gilbert and himself as "two poofs".


Well, some of my favourite pictures of G&Gs are the Dirty Words Pictures...

In particular this one...




Which says it all really....


So today, I was wandering down Roman Road on my way to meet Mrs Giovanni.

I was once again wearing my red and yellow outfit, and shortly before being hurled a bread role by some manly scaffolders, I came across this sequence of graffitti...









Which not only reminded me of G&G, but also of this poster I found on the wall of a Methodist Church in Southampton a couple of weeks ago...

No comments: