Wednesday 28 May 2008

PUT YOUR BACK INTO IT!!!!


Current mood: WOOF WOOF WOOF!!!!
Category: WOOF WOOF WOOF!!!! Music



One of the main problems I have with modern music, is the lack of real and genuine intensity exhibited by most of its creators...

Yes boss, having spent just over a year looking at where things are at, I'm finding there's a distinct lack of genuine force to todays music - a lack of intensity, a lack a strength and passionately REAL feelings going into the songs and the performances....


Here's my estimation of the problem..

People who can make properly intense feeling laced music (whether it be the loud and rawkus or the deeply soulful) are nearly always mentalists of one kind or another.

They're the type of characters that can barely hold onto their day.

They're people of huge and overwhelming sensitivity. People who can't function without the music, who can't do anything else but music, and who half the time can't even do that, because the world is sitting on them, or they're simply tired and bored..


Here's a comparison:


When you hear Suicide
SCREAM!!! you knew they were screaming because they hurt and they felt things they couldn't quite cope with. You knew they couldn't contain the pain, so they had to come out with it....

Suicide
were the kind of band that can only slip in and out of function because everyday was and still is some kind of a war against pain, real or imagined...


Today you get The Crystal Castles
.

The Crystal Castle
s are a flatulant, rust proof, easy to market palid pain band.

They scream, but they don't make me feel anything. They're like a sad freak show for a youth that has no real idea how to rebel - a youth so lathered in honey, they think visiting Camden and buying an identikit pair of wayfarer shades is making a statement...


I could list of a whole bunch of similar artists..

As I'm writing this I'm listening to Pendulum
.

The first track I heard by Pendulum
was a LIVE track and it appeared to have some proper big VARROOSSHHH!!!

So I downloaded the LP and I'm listening to it, and it's worse than crap...

Sure, there's one or 2 tracks on there, but the rest is just mild mannered and over produced. It goes nowhere, it has no depth or power. It's like a Sunday walk around a newly developed area in a brand new pair of trainers. It doesn't inspire me to turn it up to 11 and it doesn't communicate anything other than a sparsity of depth and ideas..


Contrast Pendulum
with DJ Scud.

Now, I've no idea what's happenned to DJ Scud
, he's not on myspace, his record label Ambush closed down and there's no sign of new projects that I can find info about....

But he was and remains fucking well FULL ON!!!

Yes boss, I've got 2 or 3 of his DJ mixes from the turn of the millenia, and everytime I play them, they blow my head off. More or less everytime I HAVE TO TURN THEM FUCKERS UP!!!! My pulse starts racing - I feel the immediate need to start throwing things around...


My point is this: People who make music should be so fucking dysfunctional they can't string a tour together without being molly coddled the entire time, let alone play every money spinning festival on the circuit to an inane and rapturous response...


I think the bottom line is that there's a plague of bad professionalism in music. The whole game is being high jacked into becoming a badly over organised circus, run by sensible, well balanced people with degrees in Music Management - people who love to balance books and run marketing campaigns as used by their new media friends for selling boxes of washing powder...


Maybe this is a good thing??

Maybe the world is alright now because we have disposable everything and no ideology other than SPEND SPEND SPEND!!!

Maybe people don't need to vent any more??

Maybe the world's got better and we should be simply happy with that and accept that music will decline...??


But that's clearly not the case, it's just that people are far better trained and controlled nowadays to be happy with what they're given...


Oh well....


No comments: