Thursday 8 May 2008

ANDREW WEATHERALL ::: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF WISDOM


Current mood: MOODY
Category: MOODY Music



Well, here we go with a few quotes from the legend that is Andrew Weatherall taken from an NME interview from the August 17th issue of 1991...





"Yeah, people talk about 'Loaded' (Weatherall made Primal Screams 'Loaded' what it was) breaking down barriers, but I don't think barriers are ever broken down, they're just moved somewhere else.

The saddest thing is the way indie dance scene is masquerading as some kind of youth rebellion. When I was 14 I wasn't allowed a Sex Pistols record in the house and I remember my mum ripping my John Lydon poster down.

Now you've got young Fred playing his latest indie tune, mum comes in and it's 'Oh, this is a nice song, I could do the Hoovering to this' and 'That's a nice stripey top, you've got one like that haven't you?' Youth rebellion? Bollocks.


Then there's all this stuff about how great it is that these bands are so ordinary.

They're not ordinary, they're not busting their guts in a fucking supermarket, they're fucking pop stars! The idea that their saying to their fans, 'We're just the same as you' when they've signed record contracts for hundreds of thousands of pounds is sick"



Since 1991 this situation has obviously got much worse..

Needless to say, I therefore detest about 95% of todays bands, simply because they don't mean anything - they're shoddy cabaret acts and THEY MAKE ME FUCKING SICK!!!


Anyway, Weatherall's still a gem and here's his new blog...

Meanwhile my archive blog on blogger (which has saved the world on 4 occasions) is now easily searchable, prettier and much better organised and you can get to it by clicking the banner at the top of this and every blog page...


No comments: