Monday 8 September 2008

The Padstow Lifeboat...


Current mood: ....REFLECTIVE....
Category: ....REFLECTIVE.... Music



My parents were of the opinion that listening to well worked instrumental music
was a better influence on their son, than long haired oiks singing about not being able to acquire satisfaction...

So as a teenager, I didn't have much access to pop music at all

Instead it was Moods In Brass and Themes In Brass and Great Military Bands On Parade...

They were all cassette double packs and I'd play them on rotation to block out the noise of the 2 main roads that cornered in the Giovan-house and the endless hours of practice my sister would do on the piano and violin..

My brother Colin was into Chas 'N' Dave, Paul McCartneys : The Frog Song, TV Theme Tunes, Football Songs, and the cheesier end of pop music...

For my sister, it was classical and musicals...

Meanwhile, my eldest brother Nigel had already left home, because his enjoyment of Queen, Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd together with his electric guitar playing didn't quite fit in with the Status Quo...

My favourite brass band tune was called the Padstow Lifeboat

It's a wonderful piece of music, full of ebbs and flows and strident horn noises.

I can't find it on youtube, so instead, here's the sight of the Padstow Lifeboat launching....



No, fuck that...

Here's a rather poorly eq'd mp3 off my old cassette...


SHIT, I NEED TO GET THIS ON VINYL!!!




No comments: