Thursday 4 September 2008

A night with the Somalians (pt1)....


Current mood: MORE FILMY FUN....
Category: MORE FILMY FUN.... Movies, TV, Celebrities



Here we go with an anecdote (in 2 or 3 parts) about the time I got into a spot of bother whilst working as an Assistant Cameraman for a film about the Somalian New Year...


I was reminded of this one, when i saw this here banner advert on myspace...



Yes boss, I'm most often hugely annoyed by these 'BE A FRIEND OF MARK RONSONS SISTER!!' or 'MESSAGE PARIS HILTON!!' banner ads you get these days on the spazz...

I mean, as if Pairs fucking Hilton is sitting there on the end of her laptop just waiting for some spotty little YOU!!! bastard to well message her and say:

'heya hottie...wanna ride wid me??'

or

'Like gee, I really respect you Paris....'


It's fucking ridiculous...


Anyway, a week or so ago, I was getting annoyed by these ads, and I looked closer at one and thought 'WAIT A MINUTE!!! I RECOGNISE THAT FUCKER!!!'...

Here'th follows the story....


So, around about the same time as that Alice in Wonderland film, I was looking at getting involved in film and TV stuff that actually paid me some fucking money..

Yes boss, London is increasingly a filmed city, and you don't have to look too far to find a piece of that kind of action...

Then (and probably still now), the best places I knew to find that kind of work were websites like the incredibly camply titled Talent Circle (I worked for the guy who runs that - but that's another not very interesting story)

Another was the more radly filmicly titled 'Shooting People' (there's loads of stories about events that arose from Shooting People to come)

Anyway, one day I was browsing one or the other of these sites, and I found an advert to work that night at The Startford Rex as an Assistant Camerman.. It promised £50 for the job, and undergoing my usual dash for cash in order to pay the rent, I got onto it's case straight away...


The guy I phoned was Mo Vidz



Mr Vidz answered, and I quickly explained to him that i had no idea what being an Assistant Cameraman involved, but that I was sure I would be able to manage it...

Yes boss, I'm of the definite opinion that in these days of high technology, most jobs can be picked up pretty damn quickly if one has the urge and desire to do so, and drawn by the possibility of the £50 I felt sure I could learn that one as quick as needed to be learnt....


Well, Mr VidZ said he thought he had someone to cover the job, but that he wasn't sure...

We agreed he'd call me back in an hour...

Less than half an hour later, Mr V called and said he hadn't been able to contact the person he thought was covering it and that I'd got the job because he couldn't be sure the other guy would show...

Vidz, told me whatever it was that was happening was gonna be starting at 7pm. I told him Stratford Rex was only about a mile from Fish Island and that I'd see him in a bit...


So, I left here an hour or so early, had some dinner in a cafe and then withdrew something in the region of £300 from the bank.

Now, as I remember it, the rent was due the next day, and I had to move it between accounts - either that or I just withdrew the cash it for the hell of keeping it away from the bank...

Yes boss, I do like to carry cash, especially when sitting under imminent threat of bankruptcy...

I also like to carry large sums of cash in areas considered to be rough or high risk....

I find that doing this, provides a little extra edge and excitement to the day - it also ensures one is concentrating at ALL TIMES on who the nearest random is who might cause problems, therefore preventing casualness or complacency from creeping in...

And besides, when you can put on the kind of vicious frown and crazy 'DON'T FUCK WITH ME!!!' eyes that I seem able to do, you find that more people cross the street to avoid you, than move over to say:

'GIVE ME YOUR FUCKING MONEY!!!'



Currently listening :
Straight Outta Compton
By N.W.A
Release date: 1990-10-25

No comments: