Wednesday 17 September 2008

Education, education, education....


Current mood: TELL ME THE ANSWER!!!!
Category: TELL ME THE ANSWER!!!! Jobs, Work, Careers



A thing that regularly cracks me up when I'm reading the newspapers, is the state of science...

Yes boss, I frequently find brief accounts of apparently earnestly done studies which appear to do nothing other than state the complete fucking obvious and in doing so they often also provide a laugh..


I'm talking about studies which say:

'Fatty foods are PROVEN to make you fat'

or

'Scientists prove that taking daily exercise makes you fitter'


Yes boss, it now seems that whereas higher education establishments used to be exclusively about creating social privilege, maintaining the hierarchy and advancing knowledge, they're now about 25% that, and 75% full of workshy tossers sitting around studying studies about studies that state the bleeding obvious...


For me, such things are prime signs that a civilization is becoming unstable - that the whole set up has got fat and is about to have problems...

Yes boss, if you compare a civilization to an athlete, I reckon this current one is aged about 32, has put on a bit of weight, has a few niggling injuries, and is thinking very seriously about retiring so it can spend more time with it's kids..


But there's no point getting bothered by these things, instead we must laugh and here's one such laugh story I saw today that cheered me right up...


The summary in the Daily Telegraph starts by saying..

Telling a prospective partner "I really like you" is likely to encourage the chosen target to reciprocate the feelings.

Research revealed that if a person shows someone their feelings, through eye contact, smiling - or simply telling them - they are more likely to return the sentiment.


WELL FUCK ME THAT HAVE NEVER CROSSED MY MIND!!! I thought...

I read on - chuckling....

But the University of Aberdeen study shows the science of attraction to be more complex.

And for a moment, I thought it vaguely possible I might be about to learn something new...

My reading pace quickened:

WHAT IS THE SECRET??? TELL ME THE FUCKING SECRET!!! TELL ME IT NOW!!!!!


Well, the crux conclusion of the study - THIS NEW PREVIOUSLY UNKNOWN OBSERVATIONAL FACT - (as undertaken by scientists in Aberdeen) is essentially that:

If you have an attractive face and you smile, you are more likely to be seen to be attractive than if you have an attractive face and you don't smile...


GENIUS!!!!

NO...

FUCKING GENIUS!!!!!


And apparently for that

Dr Jones and Dr Lisa DeBruine, will present their research at the BA Festival of Science in Liverpool.


I think I might have to become an academic...


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2699545/Secrets-of-flirting-revealed.html




Currently listening :
Ultimate Love Songs: Vision of Love
By Various Artists
Release date: 2005-01-11

No comments: