Friday 25 January 2008

T-TOE AND KILBURN COLD WEATHER MUSIC...


Current mood: OK GO K...
Category: OK GO K... Music



So...

I think that's enough celebrity flim flam or else I'll have to start calling this here blinger WOW MAGAZINE!!.

Yes boss, let's get back to the musical basics...


The Weekend

Well, all told, the weekend was beset by musical compromises including trading off seeing Lee 'Scratch' Perry for the 5th time, in exchange for a bit of dometic bliss and some due payback of PGC debts.

Friday night was however gloriously selfish. Yes boss, on Friday, I went to see T-Toe play in Kilburn.



Now, those of you who've been around thie blinger for a while might remember me mentioning this guy who makes electronic music overlaid with trombone.
Well he plays LIVE. Yes boss, basically, Mr Toe gets his trombone out in nightclubs and plays it to quick fire electronics ......


The Good Ship

So, when I arrived aboard, The Good Ship was pretty quiet, and the first band Plurals didn't really grab my nuts. Now, it's true I wasn't really concentrating - but then Plurals didn't really force me to concentrate. But shit - they were the first band on and because I didn't hear enough of it, I can't be too judgemental...

Cats in Paris were however a little more demanding.

Occasionally sounding similar to The Smashing Pumpkins (a band I don't actually like) Cats In Paris, are basically somekind of clever alt.rocky thing with the occasional swab of Violin, some interesting drumming and a good and proper level of density.

The middle of the set in particular had my full attention and though I wanted to hate it for the rabbid violin alone, I felt there was definately enough going on to suggest a further follow up looky see be taken...


So, with the cats in then out of the bag, the next act up on stage was T-Toe...

Now, by this point, the place had filled out considerably. Yes boss, I took a birds eye view from the balcony and there looked to be somewhere in the region of 300 people...

Seeing this, my admiration for Mr Toe increased immediately and drastically. I mean here he was in a young persons Friday night pub/stroke club (which looked like the kind of venue that might generally have a dull indie band crashing through things barely recognisable as tunes - but easy) and there was Mr Toe warming up his trombone, about to play along to some breakbeasts basts bang boosh like some kind of crazy busker...!!!

It was sure as shit going to be a classic case of sink or swim, and in all honesty, I was worried it was more likely to be the former (just on the account of number of folk in the audience who'd have to jump and shout to make it work)


Well, happily I was wrong...

Yes boss, T-Toe pulled it off!!

The music was as close to damn it as is on the cd he sent me sometime back when, and to their credit, the crowd were very respectful throughout and the tuneful and at times lively nature of Mr Toes set worked plenty of curious smiles.

Shit, he even got away with playing a version of Gymnopodie 1 by Eric Satie...?!?

It was decent...


So, with Mr Toe done, my brain was circulating and I wasn't in the mood for the conversation of the headline band. I also wanted a fag and with my new year strategy being: When a fag is needed, call it a change of venue/hometime and light it on the way, I moved on down the road and found myself in an old boys 'ALCOHOLICS AND PROUD!' pub.

It was a good change of scene, but some poor bastard, who was almost completely devoid of talent and feel, was slaughtering Johnny Cash songs...

It wasn't fitting, so I had a very swift pint of guiness, put on my icicle fast face and got the hell out of there..


So to conclude...

If you're ever getting a little down with me ranting away about the dearth of imagination in pop music. Or if you're tired of the sometimes vicious mauling I give to plain jane indie bands, the talentless and the hyped and wonder WHAT IN THE HELL DO YOU LIKE GIOVANNI????

Here's your answer....

I like stuff like T-Toe...

I like brave and unusual music. It's really very straightforward..



Currently listening :
The Last Resort
By Trentemøller
Release date: By 11 June, 2007

14:46 - 13 Comments - 6 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Brigid Power-Ryce

I live i Kilburn! On the high road. Wouldve gone if i'd have known something good was on at the good ship.. I irish danced in that pub on St Patricks day when I was 8

Posted by Brigid Power-Ryce on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 at 16:52
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

That's the first time I've been out there of an evening, but it was a pleasant atmosphere and i fancy going back to have a better look around...

In fact I am going back on Jan 28th to see a German comedian (?!?Yes, apparently such a thing exists?!?) He's called Henning When. Deadpan as you like...

See you there!!

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 at 17:13
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Brigid Power-Ryce

oh ill be in new york actually on the 28th ao i wont be able to see the german comedian (!?). you should check out the luminaire in kilburn its a good music venue..

Posted by Brigid Power-Ryce on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 at 17:48
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I've heard a lot about The Luminaire, but never been there as of yet...

I'm sure I'll make it before the year's out...

Happy New York!

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 at 18:07
[Remove] [Reply to this]


maryJane

wait. dont go off the tabloid news too much...i loveee celeb flim-flam and need my london connection to stay up on it !!

Posted by maryJane on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 at 18:23
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Well, I won't be able to help but dive into the celeb world from time to time - Fish Island is full of it...

The latest on Winehouse is that she's back on Fish Island with blonde hair. Her friends flat is staked out by photographers 24 hours a day. I've still not seen her - it's too surreal..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 at 18:54
[Remove] [Reply to this]


simon

Hey Paul,
whenever your out and about in my rocking neighborhood let me know as I am only round the corner from the Good Ship and the fabulous Luminaire a truely top venue.
I'm hoping the new owners of the Kilburn State will turn it back into a music venue again, but that is probably a dream as any venue that had gigs by John Coltrane, the beatles the small faces and David Bowie among others must have been pretty good!!

Posted by simon on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 at 19:03
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Yes will do...)

It struck me as being a decent area for going out. A lot less stressy than the East End is...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 at 19:08
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Brigid Power-Ryce

um what is fish island, i never quite understood

Posted by Brigid Power-Ryce on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 at 21:53
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

It's an industrial estate on the edge of the Olympic Village in Bow...

It's where I live..

Pictorial evidence of it's existance can be found here

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 at 22:01
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Music is My Boyfriend

Thanks for coming along and for this!
T-Toe is definitely very special! We need to let him play longer next time...

Posted by Music is My Boyfriend on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 at 15:18
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

How long was that set?? (I was a bit stonned and time was right out of the window..)

In all honesty, I felt it was about the right length...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 at 15:32
[Remove] [Reply to this]


T-toe

I played for about 40mins. I could handle another 15mins or so... After that, my lungs would most likely pack up and abandon the venue, leaving me standing on stage looking like a right nob! ;-)

Cheers for the write-up, Paul! Much love and thanks for spreading the T-toe word! :-D

Was great to see you again, and of course, I'll keep you up-to-date with future events/tracks, etc.

Much love to you all!

Tez

Posted by T-toe on Thursday, January 17, 2008 at 18:54
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: