Sunday 6 January 2008

STATE OF THE POP MUSIC ADDRESS AKA ALBUM REVIEW ::: VARIOUS ARTISTS - NOW 68 DISC 2


Current mood: UNIMPRESSED
Category: UNIMPRESSED Music



So, here it is...

It's taken a month or two to get around to Disc 2 of last years ending UK Greatest Hits Package NOW 68, but here I finally am...and THE STATE OF POP doesn't look very good....


PLAIN WHITE T'S
HEY THERE DELILIAH

I didn't know people still called their children Delilah - or is it one of those Jamie Oliver G2 rewind names???

As for the song: Horrible FAKE Americana Tosh...


AMY MACDONALD
MR ROCK 'N' ROLL

HOLYSWEETJESUS!!!PASSMETHEFUCKINGFLICKKNIFE!!!!!


K T TUNSTALL
HOLD ON

MORE HORRIBLE FAKE AMERICAN TOSH!!!!


THE KILLERS FEAT LOU REED
TRANQUILIZE

This isn't pop music is it?? Sounds more like a gothic death march to me - but then it does have one of the most miserable (though somewhat talented) cunts known to music kind as special guest...


STEREOPHONICS
IT MEANS NOTHING

ABSOLUTELY FUCKING DREADFULLY AWFUL!!!!!


PETER BJORN AND JOHN FEAT VICTORIA BERGSMAN
YOUNG FOLKS

This is OK. In fact I quite liked it when it first appeared. In terms of this compilation it's brilliant!!!!


FREEMASONS FEAT BAILEY TZUKE
UNINVITED

A pretty standard pop dance track. Not awful and not that good - which makes it about average...(I told you I was a genius)


MIKA
BIG GIRL YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL

This is a pretty cynical attempt by a noncey gay man to get any woman who isn't a size 8 onto the dancefloor...


AMY WINEHOUSE
TEARS DRY ON THEIR OWN

I had a very complex and telling dream about Winehouse last night - I won't go into that now, but you can expect a full blog on it one day (perhaps)...

This song's OK, but it's nothing to write home about...


JENIFER LOPEZ
DO IT WELL

I've never understood the appeal of Lopez. There's all this talk about her bum, but I've seen so many better bums walking the streets than hers...

I do however like aspects of the production on this...


FERGIE
BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY

Woefully average and completely forgetable...


JAMES BLUNT
1973

'James Blunt - such a terrible cunt'


AKON
DON'T MATTER

ordinary ordinary ordinary


NICOLE SHERZINGER FEAT WILL.I.AM

BABY LOVE

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


WESTLIFE
HOME




NEWTON FAULKNER
DREAM CATCH ME

snore snore snore


THE HOOSIERS
WORRIED ABOUT RAY

This is some kind of cross between Mika & Muse. The tune's OK, but I don't find myself worrying about Ray


SCOUTING FOR GIRLS
SHE'S LOVELY

Drossy girly teenage indie pop


FEIST
1234

alt.dido apparently loved by the cool set


PHIL COLLINS
IN THE AIR TONIGHT

I saw Hot Chip DJ this not so long ago....

It has atmosphere, but how in the hell does it get away with almost a minute of very low key, almost silent introduction?? For trying that on a chart song, I'll give Uncle Phil some credit...


AVRIL LAVIGNE
WHEN YOU'RE GONE

boring paedopop/rock..


MCFLY
THE HEART NEVER LIES

dull dull dull....



OVERALL RATING....

2/10

aka

THE STATE OF CONTEMPORARY POP IS AS FORGETTABLE AND NONCESENSICAL AS IT'S EVER BEEN......(((


Currently listening :
Now That’s What I Call Music!, Vol. 68
By Various Artists
Release date: By 04 December, 2007

15:40 - 6 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

R

I agree, it's a piss poor selection.

If Paul Giovanni was in a position of POP POWER at 'Now 68' Towers, what tracks from 2007 would YOU have put on it??

Posted by R on Thursday, January 03, 2008 at 17:14
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Well now that I have THE CHAIRS OF POP POWER I feel very able to make my own selection. However part of the credo of PG£ is that time should not be a factor in music, I will therefore resist though I could do a 'tracks I've listened to most this year' kind of chart......

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Thursday, January 03, 2008 at 17:18
[Remove] [Reply to this]


maryJane

"hey there deliliah" isnt that bad !! its the sort of song that gives me hope that one day, someone will write a song all about how lovely the fabulous mJ is...

otherwise...this selection makes no sense. was it all lotto-d together??

Posted by maryJane on Friday, January 04, 2008 at 04:30
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

The Delilah track is very mushy...

I'd love someone to write a track about the wonders of PG£ - but I wouldn't imagine it'll be quite so cutesy as this one...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, January 04, 2008 at 10:16
[Remove] [Reply to this]


maryJane

AND. im sooo OVER feist. i mean. who CANT count to four. its bollocks.
feist and that the "young folks" song. blimey bollocks of crap !!

...this comp is awful.

Posted by maryJane on Friday, January 04, 2008 at 04:32
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I read about Feist's love of solitude in an interview and given that she's in with Chilli Gonzales thought she might be interesting - but she was by far and away the biggest let down of the year for me...

And yes, the comp is awful...(((

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Friday, January 04, 2008 at 10:21
[Remove] [Reply to this]


No comments: