Thursday 21 August 2008

The Olympic Dream....


Current mood: PAUL GIOVANNI MEETS JAMES DEMAN....
Category: PAUL GIOVANNI MEETS JAMES DEMAN.... Sports



is of course a big old bag of crap, but to say my head was blown off when I stumbled into a rerun of the Beijing opening ceremony in the early hours of yesterday, would be an understatement...

Yes boss, that whole shindig was like being on drugs - I could barely believe my eyes, and I couldn't work the dimensions....

'OH FUCK!!!.....OH FUCK!!!!!' I kept muttering...

Furthermore, the whole Olympic complex is stunning.

I guess it just goes to show what can be achieved with excessive state control and a BIG BIG LOOK AT US!!!! kinda budget...



(this was the preamble)


I say it was like being on drugs - but I suppose I was on drugs...

Yes boss, I spent yesterday all over the place:


The late morning and afternoon I was looking at baby things and maternity clothes in Central London.

Shopping about town for clothes with Mrs G (and for that matter any other woman or women) usually vents me into paroxysms of severe, irrational and tired boredom, but over time, my tolerance is improving and I've recently developed coping strategies..

Yes boss, I can be trained (a little), and it might well be only a short matter of time before the only thing you hear from Giovanni is the faint polite humm of the lawnmower and the smooth and calm purr of the brand new people carrier, as i happily take the little tykes to their piano lessons...

AKA

I might yet become normal...


The fatherly bit done, Mrs G headed home and I was left alone to stroll around town doing natural Paul things.

I was enjoying this immensely, until Mrs G called to tell me she was at St Pauls and that I had the house keys....

Fearing for
any bottles of alcohol I might have left in the house, I quickly jumped on a very sweaty tube train and handed them over..


This hasty change, left me in pole position for the first of my nights entertainments - a book launch by Sexton Ming
at The Aquarium Gallery...

I love browsing the Aquarium Gallery
.

It's a feast full of art, books and music by Billy Childish, Jimi Cauty, Jamie Reid (creator of the Sex Pistols artwork) Geraldine Swayne...

I spent more than 2 hours fully ingesting everything on display.

I started forming lists:

The stuff I will buy next time I have money..

The stuff I would buy if money wasn't an object...

etc

I soon realised there are only a few pieces I wouldn't like one way or another




Next up was they came from the stars I saw them
at The Bethnal Green Working Mens Club...

The BGWMC is so damn cool it has genuinely working class folk in the room downstairs and foppish arty types upstairs - it also has a real LIVE Banksy on the outside wall and an enormous heart as the backdrop....




And the music???

Well, this was the first time I've seen the stars play for some weeks and by the time the gig started I was well oiled courtesy of 6 beers and a half bottle of whiskey that I was using to deftly anoint the pints of coke I bought at the bar...

The gig was first class, the crowd were Morris Dancers, there was LIVE Lionel and the cuddly leopard was wearing a gold skinsuit...

Put simply: The LIVING stars get better and better...


But upon completion of the music, and brief chats with the band, I rapidly realised I was very very drunk indeed.

I took a seat to recalibrate myself, but it wasn't enough, so I wandered outside and sat down on the opposite green..

At such times as this, I often find it beneficial to roll around and scream - and had I not have been wearing my exceptionally new and pristine Adidas white and gold tracksuit top I'd have no doubt indulged myself, even though my arms and legs appeared to have gone numb...

But lacking the desire for grass stains, I hoisted myself into a dead mans time trial back to Fish Island and starving and still drunk I saw the Olympics...


So, yes, when watching the Opening C, I wasn't quite in my right mind...

But I've mostly detested all such flounce shows - they mainly seem to consist of a whole bunch of folk running about waving bits of cloth...

This one was however something else and if the trajectory of improvement continues, there soon won't be any actual need for the professional sport at the Olympics..

No boss, they'll simply have the big whoopsie - a day or so's running - and then another big whoopsie to close...


And the devil that is China??

Well, I don't have much problem with China.

As a country, it does strike me as being a mite paranoid, and more than a little stuffy, and I am certain I wouldn't like to live there myself..

But I do find it nauseating how everyone's got onto this cause celebré of Tibet and the two faced moralism with it all is absurd ..

Yes boss, all enormous conquering super powers have their shameful oppressions, but the reason the media bash China is because before very long they're gonna own our asses every which way....

Meanwhile, I don't remember hearing many complaints about all the cheap Chinese goods we increasingly live on, and the credit they're constantly chivelling us to keep our increasingly desperate economies afloat...

And anyway - HOW IN THE HELL CAN WE IN BRITAIN OR THE US COMPLAIN ABOUT OPPRESSIVE POWERS BEHAVING BADLY?!?

Is it China in Iraq or Afghanistan?!?!

Jesus...





Currently listening :
Opera’s Greatest Drinking Songs
Release date: 1995-04-11

No comments: