Sunday 10 August 2008

And whilst we’re on the ambient theme....


Current mood: BURN BABY BURN....
Category: BURN BABY BURN.... Music



Asphalt Eden is a blog full of ambient mixes of a more classical and bleepylicious kind...

I'm not sure I'll be hearing too much of what they have to offer just now - but back in the day, I used to more or less live on ambient music. Of course I was smoking shitloads of pot then, and magic mushrooms were also something of a regularity each Autumn...


The Autumn 1995 was a particularly good one for the mushrooms. I was working at this here Fort, nearside which sat a tonne of high grade mushies, of which we took full advantage...





That Autumn was my second stint at the Fort

And, before I get onto my favourite stories of that spell, I think it's high time I covered my favourite memory of my first stint working there, back in 1993...


Basically, 1993 threw up what I consider to be one of my finest (claimed) megalomaniacal telepathic achievements to date!!!

Here's the story....


Though the general situation of the Fort was ace, the area surrounding it was besmerched by a bunch of oil refineries and one power station...

Now, I really didn't like the idea of there being all these oil refineries in my line of sight - and I certainly resented the fact they'd been sited amidst such a beautiful area of coastline that was and is a National Park...

I therefore spent quite a bit of time thinking

'IF I COULD HAVE ONE WISH, IT WOULD BE FOR ALL THOSE FUCKERS TO FUCKING WELL FUCK OFF!!!!'


Well, the Sunday before my contract was up, I was away up the coast on the Forts boat, visiting the
Island of Ramsey for the first and only time and sometime in the early afternoon we heard a distant BANG!!

It sounded like it might be an inflatable boat exploding spectacular stylee and at the time I didn't think too much of it....

But when we re-boarded the Lord Hurcombe to return to the Fort, the Boatman told us that one of the refineries had been hit by Lightning and had GONE UP IN FLAMES!!!!


Things got better...

We had dolphins riding the bows of the boat (the first and only time I saw them on that bit of coast), there were hundreds of Manx Sharwaters swooping about on their way back to
Skokholm Island in time for bed, and as we turned the corner to moor up, the rumour became fact, and there was the refinery, smoking away like Uncle Saddam had suddenly become effective...


Well, to be perfectly frank, as horrific as it could have been (barely anyone was injured let alone killed), I was overjoyed by this turn of events, and later that evening, had what could well turn out to be one of the very best romantic pro-disaster apocalyptic times of my life:

Yes boss, we had no electricity, no phone lines, and there I was, sat alone perched up on high atop the fort, with a 4 pack of Murphys Stout, a cigar, and an excellent view of
the sun going down to the right and the refinery burning to the left...

IT WAS PURE DARK APOCALYPTIC JOY!!!!







No comments: