Tuesday 26 August 2008

G-Day...


Current mood: JOY GLOWING....
Category: JOY GLOWING.... Life




Today started with the Mens Sprint race...

Yes boss, one thing I like very much with the Olympics being in China is that I wake up daily to instant high quality LIVE sport!!!

Thing is I always suffer a shaky opening seconds to every day...

If I've been in a particularly deep sleep, am drunk or generally confused, it can take quite a little while to organise my brain as to what's really about to happen and what isn't...

I then have to evaluate the likely days events and until that's done, I can't really progress...

Therefore, having something as no-nonsense and practical as Olympic grade sports to contend with, makes everything a lot easier - especially when there's something taxing ahead.

Yes boss, rather than thinking or worrying about that taxing thought, I can simply tune into thinking and worrying about who's going to make it around the track the quickest, whilst adding myself a few 'spazzing friends' and drinking the required number of cups of tea to start the brain running....


So...

Today was laden with a few potentially tricky events, the most important of which was the second ultrasound scan of the Baby G...

Yes boss, it's 5 months in, the bump's growing and today was G-day..


Now, I've never understood why people want to wait until the day of birth before knowing the sex of their child.

The way I see it is we've already had 5 months of speculation and evaluation of the merits and guessing preferences of boy vs girl, and that's quite enough to be going on with....

Yes boss, knowing this basic fact makes preparing a good deal easier and given that life always seems to throw up a good side order of chaos, I like to eliminate all that I can, as soon as i can ...


Anyway, before we get to the result of Gender-Day, I have a question for you all....

Has anyone else seen this Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt??

The way he runs is something else!!

In todays 100 meters heats, he was both moving at enormous speed and appearing to be completely still at exactly the same moment?!?! He was looking around himself as if he were jogging - it was almost like he was playing with the very essence of time itself...?!?

On such a relaxed and competent performance, it's difficult to see him being beat in the final - even though fellow Jamaican Asafa Powell also looked remarkably smooth and concise..

Let's hope he doesn't test positive...


Anyway, top grade track cycling and athletics action, enough tea and pasta later, Mrs Giovanni, her sister Rosalie and I wandered down the canal in order to catch the Number 25 bus to the hospital...


Excuse me another aside, but I'm currently engaging with a program of loss recovery on the Number 25 bus..

Yes boss, in a story so ridiculous as to warrant it's own blog, I was recently fined £240 for being on a bus without a ticket when I (unbeknowst to myself) had a ticket...

Since paying up, I've so far recouped aroundabout £30 of that loss in 90p installments, and though I've bunked more public transport down the years than most people have 'taken', I feel sure I need to be refunded the full £240 on that particular route, before I can feel good about it...


Anyway, the 90p fare successfully bunked, we get to the Royal London Hospital, walk the prehistoric corridors and once again find the ultrasound room...

Inside it, the woman doing the scanning is very odd, and after checking the complete condition of our child, and announcing (only upon request) that everything looked to be fine, this woman announced that our baby was almost certainly a girl...


Which was a pleasant surprise because we both had the Baby G down as being a boy...


Well, we're both delighted, but I do think this fact has rattled Mrs G slightly as well...

Thing is, she had a somewhat turbulent relationship with her own mother as an infant which resulted in her being thrown out of the house on an almost daily basis, because she was impossibly over active and religiously naughty...

So, what with the possibility of this coming back on her (as such things often do) and the general trend that daughters are closer to their fathers and sons closer to their mothers, I think Mrs G might well be worrying as to just what she might be taking on....


I find myself delightfully confused by the whole situation.

Yes boss, I have absolutely no problem with having a girl, but I'm not sure what to do with one...

Assuming Baby G was a boy, I was thinking: Football in the park, riding bikes, doing stunts, smashing things up, getting dirty, playing soldiers, falling in rivers, throwing things about and getting excited by vehicles, might be the order of the day - but it turns out to be not so...

Of course some of you might be feeling that in the free west of 2008, all of these things can be done with a girl - and if she's a tom boy, I dare say we'll do some or all of them - but if she's a girls girl and likes Barbie, pretty dresses, being clean and that kind of thing, it might turn out to be me who struggles rather than Mrs G...


I guess we'll soon find out....


Anyway - here she is....







No comments: