Thursday 24 July 2008

This weeks list pt2....


Current mood: ELECTRICITY!!!!
Category: ELECTRICITY!!!! Music



Dizzee Rascal - Maths & English (2007)

After his opening LP Boy In Da Corner, I felt Mr R would be a very exciting place to be come album number 3 - and here it is....

And I don't much like it...

The thing I wanted to see developed was the moody soulful observational side of things - instead Dizzee drifts further pop without that much warmth...

I don't necessarily blame or hate him for it - it's just not my flagon of juice..




Foals

As with the LCD SS, there's a big old bag full of hype surrounding this act, but so far I'm not quite recieving it...

I've only heard one LP it's name illudes me - suffice to say, it sounded like a more thoroughly produced version of Franz Ferdinand....


Lee 'Scratch' Perry - Party Time

WHEN PERRY'S MANNING THE DESK IT'S ALWAYS PARTY TIME...!!

AKA

Quintessential reggae





Battles - Mirrored (2007)

This is pretty clever and I think I like it

But as Dan says in Episode 7 of Casa Hasa Giovanna (freely downloadable by clicking the picture)

'They're not bad - but they do sound a little bit like King Crimson....'




Midnight Star - The Beginning (1978)

This is super happy jam jam music...

Opening track Keep The Spirits High is my track of the week....

I'd be amazed if Radiohead are fans....




Prince
- For You & Musicology

PRINCE IS A MONSTER!!!

He scares me, and the opening track from For You (his first LP) is quite astounding in it's statement of intent...

Basically, it's a better introduction of what's to come, than Genesis is to the Bible...

Musicology is a bit on the duff side, though I like the drama of A Million Days


And finally....


Mika Vainio - Richie Hawtin Remixes (2007)

This is a delightful 12" which as it's name suggests is a couple of unamed tracks by Panasonics Mika Vainio toyed with by Richie Hawtin...

We're talking light, bright, minimal techno with all sorts of crystal good play...

THIS IS VERY VERY GOOD INDEED!!!!



Currently listening :
The Beginning
By Midnight Star
Release date: 1999-12-09

No comments: