Thursday 3 July 2008

JAY Z @ BUTLINS....


Current mood: TODAY IS GONNA BE THE DAY THAT I’M GONNA THROW IT
Category: TODAY IS GONNA BE THE DAY THAT I’M GONNA THROW IT Music



John Lydon might not have produced much recent music of worth, but I reckon his talk alone is gold...

In the last year I've hear him suggest a reconsidertion of Tony Wilsons genius, called the current scene boring (correct, but to say it at the Mojo awards?!?) and this week he's referred to Glastonbury as being like
Butlins...


Which is true - I can't see the point nowadays.

When there was an edge and a novelty, I loved it..!!

You could go down with a bunch of mates on a whim and be pretty sure you could jump the fence.

It was a proper buzz to do!!

But like I've said before, I'm not going on the basis of paying £150 for a ticket with photo ID... .

WHAT KIND OF BULLSHIT IS THAT?!??

And what has it prevented???

What next DNA profiling???


But I sure don't want to spoil Glastonbury for people who've never been.

In fact as long as it runs, I'd recommend everyone go to Glastonbury a whole bunch of times - if you've never seen it you'll be fucking amazed and have a blast!!!


Everything is relative...


There was all this Jay Z thing with this years festival...

I was very surprised when Nóel Gallagher said what he said about Hip Hop not having a place at Glastonbury...

The first time I went in 1993 - and certainly before then - there was no place (and there should never have been a place) for doss pub rock like Oasis - but they were allowed in to headline, so what was his point exactly?!?


Publicity...


It worked, but all told, it was a bit of a no brainer from Nóel - which is odd, because Noel's always seemed to have a brain...


I think perhaps the issue here is that Jay Z has sold a shitload more records worldwide than Noel has, and he puts on a better and more imaginative show than Oasis can even dream of..

Meanwhile Noel is just a local boy from Manchester who picked up a guitar and got lucky...




As it goes, I'm not a huge Jay Z fan, but I'm very, very glad that someone has finally made Noel look like a twat. Oasis and for that matter most of that Brit Pop lot (Primal Scream & Blur in particular) are due a massive re-evaluation...

It's a sure sign of a very lazy and turgid scene, when music that's 10-15 years old hasn't been trashed with class by something new...


And you know what??? I reckon Noel is getting tired of this situation himself.

In his heart of hearts, he knows Oasis are nothing on a global scale - either now and certainly not in the future.

He was doing his own personal Colonel Kurtz...

PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY!!!

No comments: