Tuesday 8 July 2008

HIGH TONE SAVE PORTISHEAD...


Current mood: CHEERED UP...
Category: CHEERED UP... Music



So, last night I decide I'm gonna have another go at this new supposedly excellent Portishead LP...

I have 3 copies of the LP courtesey of naughty downloads.

I find that when an LP is very new and popular, it's always worth downloading more than one copy, because people often play tricks with the content of the copy...


It was a good move, because of the 3 copies I find one is an empty folder/virus, the other 2 appear to be legit..

I pick the one with largest file sizes and I rig up a playlist that will ease me into it

Yes boss, support comes from Animal Collective & the darker end of FSOL..

I then stick the largest Portishead in and though as folder titles it shows up as Portishead it's labelled as 'High Tone' in my media player....


Who in the hell are 'High Tone'???

I try the other Portishead copy - it is Portishead...


Everything is ready - FSOL finishes and I am into Portishead..


I play 3 or 4 tracks, but this is not music the way I like it: It's dark, dismal, wisftul and bleak with no swing or bounce...

GIVE ME JOY GODDAMMIT!!!!


I persist, trying to appreciate the production, but by track 5 I'm becoming furious with the whinning English for their stupid fucking mournful indulgence. Of all nights, I thought I could handle them tonight - I'm feeling moody and negative emotional - SHIT!!! I MIGHT HAVE A PROPER JOB BY THIS TIME TOMORROW?!?! I feel as if I might be going to the gallows for a 4 month swing....

But Portishead are just making me feel worse...


I look further down my playlist for salvation...

So, WHO THE FUCK ARE THIS HIGH TONE?!?!?

It's time to find out - I press skip, then PLAY...


WHOOOOOOOAAAAAAAA!!!!

HIGH TONE ARE GREAT!!!!

BIG HEAVY SWING HEAVY DUB WITH AN EDGE OF INVENTION AND BIG BAAAAASSSSSS!!!!

COME ON!!!!!


FUCK OFF PORTISHEAD COME IN HIGH TONE!!!!!


Currently listening :
Acid Dub Nukleik
By High Tone
Release date: 2004-02-02

No comments: