Thursday 3 July 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCLE NELSON!!!!!


Current mood: LAST ONE IN THE EXERCISE YARD’S A NONCE!!!!
Category: LAST ONE IN THE EXERCISE YARD’S A NONCE!!!! Music





So, here in the UK, it's been a big week or two for concerts...

There's been the Meltdown Festival as covered on these blogs by me PG£, the 2 big Radiohead gigs in Victoria Park, and now there's Glastonbury (I've already started on the 'WHY AREN'T YOU THERE YOU SILLY CUNT??!!' trains of thought)


But perhaps most important musical concert of all, has taken place in London this evening.

Yes boss, tonight has seen
a big concert to celebrate Nelson Mandelas 90th birthday...

The event in Hyde Park, sounded like a great old ding dong, featuring all the usual suspects, who carry ours and the worlds consciences with such pride,.elegance, wisdom and self sacrifice (Annie Lennox, Johnny Borrell, Leona Lewis and of course Amy Winehouse)


But good as it all sounded, there was one bit I didnt get...

It's the bit when singer and actor 'Big' Willy Smith quoted singer Peter Gabriel as once saying:

"If the world could only have one father, the man that we would choose to be our father would be Nelson Mandela."


Now, I understand that Nelson is a good and lovely man, but surely he couldn't have been the ideal father for anyone, let alone the world, on account of him being banged up in jail for all those years...?!?

I mean an ideal father is surely someone who takes you to football practice and fixes your bike - not someone you see the occasional grainy image of on TV because he's had the misfortune to be chained to a bloody rock for years on end as the result of a political struggle....?!?


That comment has given me food for thought...

I mean, there was I thinking I might have to get a real job or get paid for this one or something?!?! But maybe it might in fact be best if I just went to prison
for 20 or 30 years, from where I should lead some kind of a political and/or civil rights struggle?!?


What do you think????


No comments: