Thursday 24 July 2008

This weeks list pt1....


Current mood: WRISTY..
Category: WRISTY.. Music



More sifting and sorting - here's thoughts on this weeks aural intake in 2 parts...


Bryan Ferry

I don't quite get Ferry's solo career.

The only stuff I like is the odd cover version (of which there are many)

I find the rest annoyingly flouncey - at least the 2 LPs (Bete Noire & Mamouna) I've thus far heard are...




Common - Finding Forever

I love the production and I'm sure Noel Gallagher does too...

How Lilly Allen found her way onto the ship is anyones guess...


Faith No More - Album of the Year

I'm a big fan of FNM.

They were one of the few bands branded as being heavy metal that managed to switch and slide out of the strict conservatism of the genre.

However Album of The Year strikes me as being a pretty plain LP from a band a little way past their energetic peak..




P J Harvey - To Bring You My Love

This is by far and away my favourite PJ Harvey record: Raw, heavy and devastatingly simple..


Sparks

This weeks Sparks LPs has been A Woofer in Tweeters Clothing & Angst In My Pants...

As complete albums neither have blown up the fireworks factory - though individual tracks in particular Instant Weight Loss have.

I think the only narrow criticism I have of Sparks, is that at times the formular of simple clever and catchy lyrics and route one tunes becomes a little bare and samey.

All my favourite LPs of theirs are a little thicker in production than these two...




Kraftwerk - Aerodynamik / La Forme Hot Chip remixes

These are both pretty ordinary.

I prefer Aerodynamik of the two but as with the new Hot Chip album there's a complete lack of wow factor...

I therefore prescribe the 'Chip to watch the last 10 years Tour De Frances on DVD, then race down to Alp D'huez for next Tuesdays high altitude heroics...

If new climbing sensation Riccardo Ricco doesn't mince the field into small palpating pieces, I'll be amazed...




LCD Soundsystem

Having listened to both LPs in some detail - I still don't get all the hype with this lot.

At times, them and their label is likened to Mohammed and Jesus eating toast on a carpet - but it all sounds very ordinary (even dull) to me....


Currently listening :
To Bring You My Love
By PJ Harvey
Release date: 1995-02-28





No comments: