Tuesday 8 July 2008

I LUV U BOW E3 PT3 :: WORLDS COLLIDE


Current mood: WE CONTINUE...
Category: WE CONTINUE... Music



It's the day of the shoot and once again I'm up early...

I FEEL GOOD!!!

Yes boss, sometimes I completely ignore random phonecalls with stupid ideas. But other times, I become completely bought by the idea that 'SOMETHING' NEEDS TO BE DONE!!!! I then throw myself unreservedly into said challenge as if my life depends on it!!!

It's a kind of endurance and capabillities thing...

I reckon you have to test yourself from scratch once in a while or else lazziness creeps in..
.




So, I get to the studio and things are about half done as per the previous night - no magical set building fairy has come down overnight and made my life easy...

The Director figures we won't get shooting until about 11, so I figure I need to get the blackened room/wall (which IS painted) fitted up with the flourescant lights ASAP...


But before I can get seriously into that - we need power...

The problem is the building is some kind of an old clothes making sweatshop. It's littered with broken sewing machines and cotton and there's no power upstairs.

Cables have to be dropped and then there aren't the right connectors..?!?

I'm then off in the van, with producer Harry, looking for an open shop that stocks the right sockets..

It's moments like these when a serious panic can lead to the whole thing becoming a badly failed career stunting joke. But in this case, everyone keeps their cool admirably, we don't find the connectors, but return to find they aren't needed..


Power ready - I start on the lights...


Now when I hired these flats, I was instructed that they MUST NOT BE DAMAGED!!!

i.e.

If we were to wallpaper them with newspaper, they had to be done with tape that could easily be removed - not with wallpaper paste!!! There was to be no screwing into them either...

But the bottom line is that when there's a hurry on, these kind of rules have to be forgotten...

Yes boss, if the owner had supplied completely clean and new flats I wouldn't have had to spend an hour or more pulling off the fabric left on them by the last user - I therefore feel it's only right we return them scrappy too..

I figure that Mr Flats most likely sent us all his scrap heap flats and the rules he stated, therefore can't and don't apply....


It's as I'm drilling into these flats with gay abandon that the musicians and actors start to arrive...


Now, I've gone into this knowing nothing about who and what is involved other than there's a 'grime' side to it...

I'm also not doing the job under the name Paul Giovanni £rd..

No boss, I operate under a whole host of real and imagined names.

I like to keep different areas of life separate - it allows more room to make mistakes and good space to work undercover...


But it also causes complications

In this case, the complication is that the producer of the track is called Terror Danjah
.


Now, about a month previously to film day, I've watched Mr Danjah
do the soundtrack to Bladerunner in Startford, and since then (as Giovanni) I've been chasing Mr Danjah for an interview and insight into his operation. he's been reluctant to set a date - I get the impression he'd rather be playing with sound as opposed to discussing his favourite shoe size...

But now by a complete roundabout, I end up in a room with him and a number of his posse...

But I'm not Giovanni today?!?!?


Well shit, I like to play games, so I figure I'll wait for Mr D to recognise me - and if he doesn't, I'll keep quiet and watch him as he is and interview him later...


Well, Mr D doesn't recognise me and after much fucking about, I manage to get the flourescent tubes screwed into the flats - they look OK and the first scenes are shot.


Meantime I finally get my assistant on the job of helping out with the room that we'll use later...


This is about the first time I get to properly speak to 'My Assistant'

Chanel is a nice enough girl, but I'm not that convinced the driector's got her right...

No boss, I see a lot of beauty both supposed and real, and I've found there's a certain kind of girl/boy that's halfway there without having to do much - someone who has some kind of fizz about them that convinces people they're a whole lot more than they actually are...

Chanel is such a girl and finding common ground of substance is a struggle. The deal appears to be that you flirt or nothing...


We settle on Italy..

Chanel tells me she had an Italian boyfriend for 3 years.

He was called Paolo Giovanni....

No comments: