Thursday 3 July 2008

MELTING DOWN PT7...


Current mood: YIPPY YO YIPPY YAY!!!
Category: YIPPY YO YIPPY YAY!!! Music



AFTER 2 FUCK UPS, I HAVE A +1!!!!!

Robyn from Eugene Machine
is dying to see George Clinton.

'MEET ME IN THE BAR AT 7.45PM!!!!!' I YELP down a broken phoneline...

'I'LL BE THERE!!!!'

THIS IS HOW WE DO IT!!!


At this point, I should mention that I had a +2 last night.

Yes boss, Mrs Giovanni and foetus Giovanni came along to see/hear Grace Jones
.

Foetus Gio is doing well. He's already heard Sparks
play their LP Sparks in Outer Space and last night he heard Grace Jones aged 60 performing with the energy of a 16 year old...

But more on that in Epsiode 6, which will soon appear.


THIS IS EPSIODE 7

AND I SOON KNOW I'VE MADE A MISTAKE!!!!


Yes boss, with absolutely no offence to Robyn (who was wonderful company), aroundabout 10 minutes into this George Clinton
gig, I realise I should have dragged Mrs Giovanni and the unborn Pippy G to see/hear Mr C, because George Fucking Clinton is a hugely important man...

Yes boss, I've heard plenty about him and even have a few LP's, but little did I realise the true nature of THE LIVE AND LIVING FUNK THAT IS A LIVE SHOW or the size of his influence!!!!


This is what happens:

The band takes the stage, or at least a portion of it does, and you immediately know something is afoot....

There's a man wearing a huge nappy and a gold jacket!!! There are 2 beautiful female singers/go go dancers busting the best moves. There are more guitarists than Van Halen have hairdo's....





It continues

HUGE BIG HEAVY METAL GUITAR SOLO'S WITH THE 4 CONSECUTIVE GUITARISTS!!!!!

There's walk on cameo roles by pimps with posters, and gold Sun Ra's, and singers that look like Aretha but sound quality different...


I've already lost all sense of time. Too soon, it feels like the show might be over, things dip...


And then this guy comes shuffling onstage. He's wearing a big hood, he shuffles on, and there he is, and he pulls down his hood AND IT'S CLINTON!!!





Yes boss, 20 or 30 or 40 minutes into the set, and the main guy has only just shown up?!?!?

OH JESUS!!!!! THIS IS JUST THE OPENING BARS!!!!

OH FUCK!!!!


Now, I've seen enough LIVE shows to know that when you see this kind of a ding dong, you're being taken to court and convicted - you have no hope but to try and survive, without undergoing a healthy spasm fit.

Yes boss, I only want to sit and calmly watch intelligent music in this here intellectual music venue...

I AM CLASSICLY REPRESSED!!!!

BUT CLINTON IS BUSTING HIS LOW KEY MOVES AND THE GUITAIRISTS ARE SCREAMING HELL FIRE!!!!

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.....

THESE PEOPLE CHANNEL THE FUNK!!!!

THEY WILL INFECT YOU WITH THE FUNK!!!!!

YOU CAN ONLY COMPLY...!!!





Currently listening :
The Best of George Clinton
By George Clinton
Release date: 2000-10-02

1 comment:

sunsetsky said...

I missed him earlier this year, looking forward to catching him at Bestival.