Thursday 3 May 2007

DJAYING DJING PLAYING RECORDS DISC JOCKEY


Category: Music




MMMmmm nice...

I played records tonight. I Djayed. I loved it and i wondered about my earlier harshenss - About the suggestion that Disc Jockeys are devious chancers who have no real job other than musical cleverness....

Pull Up A Chair

The event is small..It's been small all 3 times it's happenned and it might well stay small and that's why i like it....

We're talking the upstairs of a pub. It's a huge upstairs...There are 5 large Chesterfield sofas, big comfy armchairs and huge old fashioned windows. It's a a terrific and airy space. It's perfect for a Sunday afternoon. It has style and it sits that bit just too far off the groomed track of Camden to pull a good sized crowd without a big splurge of marketing or some faces....

The theme is 'The Armchair' and the acts are story tellers, short film makers, lazy djays, comedians, poets etc.

The first time i played records there was the first time i'd seen the decks in 4 years. I was scared and i made mistakes.

Tonight i felt comfortable and in total control from the start. I had the first hour rolling along underneath easy listening and soul and classic songwriting and then i thought i'd get clever and that cleverness stung me a little...

I misread a tracklisting and played a wrong 'un and it was like turning down a fucking dark and dead end without a wheel. I didn't know where to go next, i stumbled about like a pisshead in the snow looking for a track that would get me back to my fluency, that would return me to the easy clay listening and the smooth appreciation of safe and quality tracks...

I kind of recovered, but it was never quite the same. My concentration was swerving

And now I think about the responsibility the DJ has...No not even that, the journey the DJ goes on...

I criticise the 'Hey Misters' because far too many go and pre plan and count the seconds down on their cd players and i take none of that critique back.

But it's not an easy job and it's not for the infirm of mind or the insecure - but you need both those things to get by and play something interesting...

So what I'm saying is it isn't such a fuckin doss afterall, but it's still a million miles away from a hard one...




Currently listening :
1+1
By Herbie Hancock & Wayne Shorter
Release date: By 01 July, 1997

01:01 - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

No comments: