Monday 14 May 2007

GROOVE ARMADA @ THE CULTURE SHOW AND A COMPLAINT AGAINST THE WIND


Current mood: DULLED
Category: DULLED Music


'You're my Guardian Angel' A stressed BBC Clare told me today.

She went to pat me on the back in gratitude, but i shied away - I'm not used to warmth form the BBC, particularly considering I've never bought a TV license...

And what solicited this show of affection?

This was my tenth Culture Show, that's what...

Yes boss, I'm a sucker for a free lig. And the crew, presenters and runners are becoming so familiar with my lazy ass hanging around in the corner of a Tuesday, they're gonna be buying me a chair with my name on it before too very long....

But it wasn't just my regular attendance at the recording of said show that engendered this display, it was that today I was one of only about 5 people from 30 who turned up to watch Groove Armada perform....

It was wierd. I mean Groove Armada are a big band. They'll sell out 20,000+ tickets for the Lovebox Weekender just down the road here in Victoria Park in a week or two, yet today no-one could be bothered to show up for free and watch them perform a single song 6 times with Mutya formerly of The Sugrababes...

Maybe it was statistics or chance or maybe there was a moment of predictive clarity on behalf of the other punters that didn't show, because GA were so completely and averagely ordinary today it was almost embarassing.

And as i sat there trying to look a little interested and not drift off into staring out and attempting to distract one of the band members off their job I was reminded of a conversation I had at 6am on Sunday morning just gone...

I was emerging from a K-hole after a day of very heavy drinking indeed..On the floor next to me was Horton Jupiter of the band
they came from the stars i saw them...

He'd lent me some drugs and I'd run out to fulfill a huge order from the booze shop and together with the other band members, neighbours and friends we'd gone to party town...

Anyway, as i emerged from my anaesthethic psychedlia feeling thoroughly refreshed and clean, I became aware Horton was troubled by something...

We were listenning to
Alice Coltrane and Horton said

"Where are the heroes nowadays??"

We tried to work it out....but all the outrageous greats seemed to be dead: The Fela Kuti's, The Miles Davis's, The Alice Coltranes, the Freddie Mercury's, the Hunter S Thompsons, The John Bonhams, The Keith Moons, The Jimi Hendrixs...

Well, maybe we don't need another hero...

But I reckon we do and nowhere was this need greater amplified than when watching todays dull and lifeless performance.

I mean I really quite like some of Groove Armadas music and I have no desire to make it compulsory for musicians to be heroic figures, but jesus do we need someone out there who knows how to live a little and put on a show - someone in the charts or just outside with a little fire and verve and power...

The current crop of popstars are tame and dull to the point of tedium. Where's the panache and the danger and the risk, the passion and the fire??

You can criticise Pete Doherty all you like and almost everyone seems to like to do so, but at least he tries to be a little stupid and spectacular with his limelight - at least he appears to be enjoying himself....

Well shit, it's not over and i know the Fela Kutis of today are hiding away working on their genius and getting disgraceful and great outside of the public eye...It's just about time we saw more of them in public..


Currently listening :
Red Hot + Riot: The Music and Spirit of Fela Kuti
By Various Artists
Release date: By 15 October, 2002

23:35 - 9 Comments - 9 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Madeleine

Indeed!

Normally I am of the no more heroes anymore school of thought.

I don't want every band to be walking casualties; but a bit of verve, a spark, some spunk wouldn't go astray.

Otherwise it's a case of buy the cd turn it on turn it up and anaesthetise yourself.

Posted by Madeleine on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 at 03:45
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

Maybe we should blame The Clash or was it The Stranglers who did that 'No More Heroes' song....

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 at 12:10
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Sixshot

I've just sat in my office trying to think of a band I could say to you are heroes and I'm shocked I can't think of any except maybe Nick Oliveri formerly of Queens of the Stone Age.

What sad times we live in...

Posted by Sixshot on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 at 08:50
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

This was the thing...I'd not thought we were lacking such people until the question was posed...There's been a real death list of such people these last few years and many seemed to have gone in the winter...

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 at 12:12
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Madeleine

the winter, that'll do it, except its getting on for summer there isnt it?
it was the stranglers i think and had a synchronous moment when what was in the record store but a whole lot of posters promoting the groove armada album
thought to myself but didnt i just read they were crap on tele?…

Posted by Madeleine on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 at 16:01
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

The album might be alright...and like i said, I've liked them on record...
They looked like good clean boys and they don't have to be debauched or inspirational, i just wish a few more were...
I've thought of someone who I would consider to be inspirational and that's Andrew Weatherall....Not only is he rock n roll but he continues to produce top records and mixes after what must be 20 years or more in the game...

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 at 18:52
[Remove] [Reply to this]


horton jupiter

AW is a great example. gawd bless 'im!

Posted by horton jupiter on Thursday, May 10, 2007 at 05:19
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MOG

there new single is great I love it. but! I heard them on the live lounge on R1 last week and they where really dire. As is tradition on the live lounge the bands usually a cover a recent chart hit and they did an even worse cover of that bloody awful Mark Ronsons terrible cover of Stop me by the Smiths. If only someone would take them literally.

I can't think of anyone who fits the bill. I agree all the current stars are too tame. The slightest bad comedown and there off to rehab. Oh! there's always Donny Tourettes. Oh dear!

Posted by MOG on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 at 21:37
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

I'm begining to think rockstars should be banned form rehab.....All they seem to do there is share a room with a junkie and come out with stories of robbing petrol stations..

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Saturday, May 12, 2007 at 18:02
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: