Sunday 20 May 2007

TWIN PEAKS AND THE MUSIC OF ANGELO BADALAMENTI


Current mood: HEAVY
Category: HEAVY Music



I was having a conflab with one of my spazzing friends last night and it emerged that I'd been listening to the music from Twin Peaks alot this week and I'd not mentioned it in the hits, and that got me thinking it was due a full piece in it's own right..

Why?

Well, the music from Twin Peaks, together with much if not all of Angelo Badalamentis music has a depth and a class that is truly excpetional..

I mean, generally speaking, everytime there's a long term creative success, it's essence comes from the detail and the quality: To be watched, loved, read or listened to time and time again, the creation has to be totally solid and stand up to examination in countless different places and at different times when fashion and the pace and importance of life are completely different. It's then and there that the clever PR bullshit gets stripped away and the creation stands up by itself and it's true merits become clear...

The music of The KLF, Fela Kuti, Lee Scratch Perry, Miles Davis, Andrew Weatherall, Kraftwerk all have it

The writing of Henry Miller, James Joyce, George Orwell (and of course Paul Giovanni, James Deman, Paul Deman and Paul Fullbrook) all stands the test of time and place...

And then there's Twin Peaks


I only saw Twin Peaks for the first time in 2003. I was aware of it at school, but wasn't allowed to watch that kind of thing, and it was only when i was running out of David Lynch films to watch that I remembered he'd had something to do with it....

I bought the whole of both series on pirated vhs from ebay and waded in. The picture and sound quality was pretty ropey (they'd all been recorded from the sci-fi channel, then mass copied), but it didn't matter. I, like so many people, got pulled in by this wonderful mystique community in the middle of nowhere that provided a kind of safe and stranger dream haven...

And a big part of this was the sound....

So often, when you take the music away from the images it's designed for, it doesn't stand up. So many soundtrack albums are just pure shite. Sometimes the music still has quality and value, but it doean't really work alone: It's too short or is lead by the image.

But I never find this to be the case with Badalamentis work. I almost feel like his music is solid - is a material object. It's never flitey or light. It's dark, deep and terribly beautiful. It's drenched and heavy. It's like a heavy sleep, a blissed dream of dark emotion.


I remember once putting the Twin Peaks CD on loop all night and I woke up feeling more than a little strange, but it was so beautiful and I kept it playing all day long....Jesus, by the end of the day I was in those fucking deep, dark woods...

And this week, I had it on and was trying to work out if i could DJ any of the tracks, but i got caught into just listening over and over again and enjoying it and thinking what could you put next to that, or before that, or after that in a DJ set??


On a more general note, I'm wondering why Italians and Italian Americans are so good at film music??

Look at the biggest films and the most famous soundtracks and they're nearly all made by an Italian or Italian/American composers..I mean, who else is there apart form Nino Rota (Godfather, La Dolce Vita,), Badalamentii (All of Lynchs later films) and Enino Moriconne (Do i need to list them?)

People go on about but John Williams, but he's never struck me as having much idea about soul or emotion...

Does anyone have any idea why this is the case? Is it to do with the tradition of classical and operatic music, or Italians apparent love of drama in day to day life??

Does anyone have any recomendations for film score composers? Great composers who aren't Italian or Italian American?




Currently listening :
Twin Peaks (TV Soundtrack)
By Angelo Badalamenti
Release date: By 31 August, 1990

11:23 - 15 Comments - 10 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

stephen

john williams is arse. not a composer, per se, but mulatu astatke's songs on broken flowers are incredible, probably the best marriage of film and music i've seen... how about the scores of philip glass? rza?

Posted by stephen on Thursday, May 17, 2007 at 13:40
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

I'm a fan of Philip Glass in general, but am not sure what films he's done...I'll look into Mr Astatke..:+)

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Thursday, May 17, 2007 at 13:47
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

And Mr RZA...I believe he did Ghost Dog and Kill Bill didn't he?? Ghost Dog was a very good soundtrack that worked as a separate entity..Kill Bill has spawned a cottage industry for most of the tracks on the LP, but i don't think Tarrantinos films use sound in the same way as someone like Badalamenti does - There's very little original composed music for one...

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Thursday, May 17, 2007 at 17:41
[Remove] [Reply to this]


La Paloma, Queen of the Pirates

wish i was familiar with more sondtrack composers so no good suggestions...this looks like a good "reading list" to get started. i just was introduced to enino moriconne recently -- i'm looking forward to "discovering" and drinking in some more.

but i will say one of my favorite songs from a soundtrack is "reel ten" by the plugz from Repo Man st. little surfrockish. it haunts me.

Posted by La Paloma, Queen of the Pirates on Thursday, May 17, 2007 at 16:18
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MollyCoddle

...nice bit of blogging there PG. Tomorrow's topic: Clockwork Orange...

Posted by MollyCoddle on Thursday, May 17, 2007 at 16:29
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

I can do Clockwork Orange now:
Saw it the first time in the cinema...thought it was half an hour too long and a touch pretentious.
Saw it second time on TV and liked it more...

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Thursday, May 17, 2007 at 17:44
[Remove] [Reply to this]


horton jupiter

am i sensing that you're not aware of GOBLIN?
hj x

Posted by horton jupiter on Thursday, May 17, 2007 at 19:18
[Remove] [Reply to this]


horton jupiter

although of course they are italian

Posted by horton jupiter on Thursday, May 17, 2007 at 19:19
[Remove] [Reply to this]


horton jupiter

right, i've put some on my profile. turn out the lights and turn it up REALLY FUCKING LOUD!

Posted by horton jupiter on Thursday, May 17, 2007 at 19:29
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Eric EXiT

Absotutely. I love Lynch. I've always thought the most consistently strong character in his films is the sound. I think he usually does his own sound editing. Its really obvious, to me anyhow, that he knows how much atmosphere is created by the sound and music he uses...and how it plays with the visual atmosphere he creates. It is indispensible. You seen/heard Inland Empire yet? Stunning.

Posted by Eric EXiT on Thursday, May 17, 2007 at 22:39
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

I get the impression that though he has people working for him, he has the final cut on most aspects of his films production...I've not seen Inland Empire...I need to be in just the right mood for 3 hours of any film....

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Friday, May 18, 2007 at 02:47
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MOG

I'm glad you brought this to my attention I watched twin peaks first time round fell in love with the music bought it on cassette (rip) and played it non stop over and over again. so I must rebuy it. Damn fine cherry pie!

John Williams made his name with Jaws and close encounters Which are great soundtracks, Oh and Star Wars! unfortunately he's probably being riding on that success since. Can't stand Phillip Glass His Music truly Offends me!

Sorry can't recomend anyone else though.

Posted by MOG on Friday, May 18, 2007 at 01:35
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

I've never got Star Wars. I can respect it, but don't like it..

I'm not too familiar with Close Encounters or Jaws..

I've just remembered that Vangelis did a pretty good job on Bladeunner.

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Friday, May 18, 2007 at 02:50
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MOG

Jaws is a class movie, alright the shark looks a bit shit by todays standards of SFX but the story and the acting is first rate and the music works perfectly. and Close encounters is damn good as well and the music actually plays an intregral part of the story as that's how they comunicate with the aliens. I wouldn't listen to the music on it's own though. And Yeah the Blade Runner soundtrack is well good. Tales of the Future with dennis Roussos is an amazing and intense track.

Posted by MOG on Friday, May 18, 2007 at 14:13
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

I've watched JAWS once and remember it being very tightly done..I don't remember the music too well, but i would imagine it was vital in creating the suspense...

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Friday, May 18, 2007 at 14:39
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: