Monday 30 April 2007

A FEW ROUNDUPS AND A PLANK OR TWO FOR DEBATE


Current mood: WORKMANLIKE
Category: WORKMANLIKE Music



Right, to be perfectly honest i have no idea what this blog is about yet, except i feel i should write one to keep my stats up and to prevent myself from feeling lazy, helpless and redundant...

Ummmmm...

How about a few roundups of CDs I've recieved to review this last month or so?? Yes, that'll be a fucking novelty - I'll review some music..


DJ Tiesto - Elements of Life

What's the big idea with DJs like Tiesto?? I don't mean to belittle anyones job, but DJaying is childs play isn't it?? I mean there are DJs who can create something new and fantastic, that can build and break a room of drugged and sweaty fools into a frenzy of ecstacy and chaos...But these folk are few and far between and I'm not at all sure Tiesto is onesuch.

Yes, I reckon if we're being honest, we have to agree that most Djs just play records one after the other, reflect in the glory of the original tracks and steal all the girls at the end of the night because they've read their minds and then played the songs written therein.....

Devious fucks in other words!

In fact, I'm thinking of starting a campaign for the abolition of DJs just as soon as I've finished my set tonight (5-9pm, The Victoria, Mornington Terrace, London - Be there or be some kind of fucking dumb and lazy idiot)


Anyway, this is Tiesto as producer rather than mixer and about the best I can say for this LP is that it's alright...

You can check the boxes if you like:

Vague, spacey slightly pretentious, poncey title CHECK!

Half decent and (some 3/4 decent) pop dance titles that if they were made by Heavy Metal bands would be called 'I wanna know what love is' of 'November Rain' CHECK!

Reverby keyboard and synth sounds CHECK!

Lyrical Requests such as 'Do you feel it??' CHECK!

Will sell millions and sell out misquilions of stadiums etc CHECK!

If you like this sort of thing, you'll love Tiesto and be partly reponsible for his massive wealth, otherwise you'll consider it to be tea time washing up music at best..


The Said - Divisadero

The Said have been around since 1995 It shows, but I'm not being rude. What I mean is that this is a consumate album. It echos experience and practice of playing smalltime gigs and continuing with the blueprint despite the lack of a major deal or any serious adoration.

I didn't find too much that was remarkable, challenging or new on this LP, but then i never really expected too....

I love the groove on track 3 and i love the vocalist because he sounds like W Axl Rose, but otherwise, as with Tiesto, I reckon your response to this LP is going to depend on what sort of sound you already like - If you're into American whiskey laced, bar room tobacco band white cracked damaed soul music, you'll probably go for it, otherwise most likely not..


Marillion - Somewhere Else

My greatest memory of Marillion form back in the day, was that I once went to a bargain Our Price record shop and tried to buy a Marillion album on cassette but accidently bought an album by tranny pop icon
Marilyn.

Now this could have been an early sign of dyslexia, or a subconscious display of desired tranny gayness or just a fucking mistake...All I can remmber is that I was mightily pissed off about it at the time!!!

Anyway...300 years later, Marillion like every other fucking band are still going strong, have failed to accept their time has been and gone, and are knocking out average music in search of the love they need as creative people..

I don't blame them for sticking with it and trying. I mean what else can they do? Go to work at Tescos? Or sell their guitars?

Fuck that!

But the sad truth is that this record sounds like cabaret Muse/Marillion/Radiohead...It does nothing for me at all, and where the hell is Fish anyway??



P:+)G

Currently listening :
Somewhere Else
By Marillion
Release date: By 24 April, 2007

07:45 - 2 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Edi

Ha-haa, their former manager once advised them to get day jobs to make ends meet (blog entry of one week ago, just in case the link doesn't point you directly at).

So there you also see Fish is in his Scotland spending quality time and gardening together with his newly moved in fiancee, Mostly Autumn's Heather Findlay. But when he goes on tour, he also takes 4/7 of that band with him, including, of course, his fiancee.

And, from the very beginning there, you see I haven't been able to find any review that is favourable after the very first listening of that album.

Otherwise, for me, DJ-s are just torturers of LP-s they only scratch while spinning.

Posted by Edi on Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 15:08
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

Well, you've hit on something important here and that is how many times does one need to play a disc to evaluate it correctly?? I've gone through the Marillion record a couple of times and did find it slightly better the second time than the first, so maybe if i keep going at it I might have to re-review it...

One of the problems nowadays tho is that availability of music is such that you don't have to play a record for a week or month and grow into it...

I remember when i were a lad (the good old days obviously) if you bought something it was a rare event and you made damn well sure you concentrated on it 5 or 10 times minimum before dismissing it...

Now with myspazz you just click when it starts to sound disagreeable, so a record has to have instant punch and grab your balls right away or else!!

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 15:40
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: