Saturday 19 May 2007

THIS WEEKS HITS :: WEEK MIDDLING MAY 16TH 2007


Current mood: HUNGRY!!
Category: HUNGRY!! Music



RIGHT...

Once more i approach you bearing a bundle of musical suggestions that you may or may not take pleasure in engaging with...


FRESHERS PLAYS POP

I know I said I'd have a whole bunch of new stuff this week, but quality new stuff doesn't grow on trees and i can therefore only offer you a small but sweet selection at this point in time...

In fact, the first and only member of this sweetly select buch is
ANIMA.

Basically, there's nothing i like to see more from a band or an act than a global purpose, quotings of great mythical figures and a belief that their music has the possibility and potential to save the world.

Anima has all of this.

Yes boss, not only does it's innovator claim to live in Vatican City, the myspazz also comes with a whole manifesto to go with the mecurial mutli layered guitar work. If you like things grandiose and complicatedly simple then go and take a look and listen...



STAPLES

It's been a good week for staples. I have this new phone. It's a
Sony Ericson K750i and i've named it Personal Joy.

This dear boss, is the finest piece of technology I've ever owned bar none. It does everything a phone should do. It also has a memory stick slot which supports a 4gb card of music, it takes pictures, the battery lasts forever, it's very easy to use and it just works like a fucking dream!!!

Anyway, Personal Joy allows me to have a whole bunch of fine music about my person at all times and i have therefore been listening through a lot of stuff..

Favourites this week have been
Arab Strap, The Pixies, they came from the stars i saw them vs reality, Lee Hazlewood, The Bronx, The KLF and a decent compilation of Kevin Saundersons finest work..



LIVE

Sunday was a wierd day.

As some of you already know, I somehow managed to engage myself with a student film which is some kind of remake of Alice in Wonderland. I play the part of a naked (excpeting see through apron) pastry chef and I spent about 2 hours of Sunday afternoon runing around a strangers house dressed in a blonde wig with my face painted gold, wearing nothing excepting this dam plastic apron....

Now this might be a normal Sunday to some people, but it sure as hell isn't for me...Or it wasn't, but as the day wore on i thought Mmmm, I like this gold face paint...

So, when the filming was done, I kept my colour on and nipped acorss town on the Silverlink to DJ at the 4th Pull Up a Chair

Now, as I've said before Pull Up A Chair up to now has been an affair mostly attended by it's contirbutors, a few friends of the contributors and a few other miscellaneous drop ins. Initially I thought this was a problem and it is in terms of getting paid and feeling hugely loved,. But given my mostly amateur DJ ability, I find it to be the perfect testing ground and I've also found a whole host of interesting talent taking part in it...

Ross Lee may already be familar to some of you. he's done plenty of TV work and he's a talent. I mean just occasionally someone comes along who seems to epitomise a medium. Ross Lee is just such a person. Ross Lee IS television and if you work in TV I'd recomend you beat a clever path to his door and give him a new show sharpish...

Mr Lee aside, i thought I'd more or less trump everyone with my gold faced DJaying, but I was trumped double because along came Mr Jim'lls Brain who not only had a BLUE face, but also a crach helmet and a blue superman cape!!

But it wasn't all style. Mr Jim'lls Brain performed one of the most cheery, chirpy and downright comedic song sets I've seen in a long time and I'd advise getting over and listening to him sometime and someplace soon..


OK..I'll leave this here and go and buy some compost before Woolworths shuts...

Ciao, ciao for now!!
pg


Currently listening :
White Room / Justified & Ancient
By The KLF
Release date: By 20 February, 1992

16:50 - 5 Comments - 6 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Jim'll's Brain

Thank you for the kind words. I'm down in Piers and Dave's Grotto; The Constitution on 25th with the mighty Sonic Dragolgo, before making a return to The Victoria for Pull Up A Chair again.

Posted by Jim'll's Brain on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 17:07
[Remove] [Reply to this]


amber

do you have Woolworth's in the UK? I miss Woolworth's. Our Woolworth's is now a House of Blues... :)

Posted by amber on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 17:48
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

Yes we do...I'll have to go tomorrow though, I've left it to late to be sure of getting there before closing time...

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 17:52
[Remove] [Reply to this]


stephen

good luck with the k750i. i too gave my heart to mine... i even rushed out to get a gig of memory to load it up with all my favourite killing joke and gang of four albums. we had some great times.

right about now you will be scratching your head and thinking 'why is stephen using the tense of the past kind?'...

well, the little fucker died in my arms. sure, it gave a few indications over the weeks before hand that it was leaving me, but i couldn't bring myself to believe anything like this could happen. "we've only been together for a year and a half" i told myself. "i've hidden all my secrets in you, you've been there to capture the memorable moments i will surely forget".

these days i am slumming it with a much older, cheaper model. sure, i am no longer alone. style="font-style: italic;">but is this really living???

Posted by stephen on Thursday, May 17, 2007 at 01:26
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Paul Giovanni Music Blog...

Well, I've sat style="font-style: italic;">Personal Joy down today and given her a pep talk. I've told her that she needs to accept that there comes in a time when one has to settle down and stop behaving impulsively. I've also told her that she'll work hard and well until I've found her replacement and any irevevrent behaviour will mean she goes to PHONE HELL!!
We'll see what happens....

Posted by The Paul Giovanni Music Blog... on Thursday, May 17, 2007 at 15:13
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: