Friday 14 March 2008

THIS WEEKS SCHEDULE IS RUNNING OFF THE PAGE AND SO AM I...



Current mood: GGGRRRRRRRR!!!!!!
Category: GGGRRRRRRRR!!!!!! Music



PHEW BLIMEY!!!

This weeks LIVE London musical agenda is packed with tricky treats...

That said, last weeks was pretty interesting looking - but as is often the case these days, my party panties weren't up to the feasts and I performed badly all week.


My inability to get to gigs more than once a week (in a good week) is a source of worry to the members of the steering committee of The Paul Giovanni Corporation AKA The Futureproof Music Business...

Yes boss, a certain ammount can be written about music and musical matters without ever attending gigs. But seeing LIVE bands is eventually essential to the job and during the steering committee meeting (conducted during last weeks Harry love in) it was noted that the PG£ LIVE hit rate needs to improve in the forthcoming year or all priviledges will be withdrawn forthwith..


Of course age is a factor here, but a bigger factor is that the fun has gone out of the whole affair because the bits of detail I used to enjoy are never certain, are twisted or illegal.

NO CAPS
NO SMOKING
BOTTLED BEER ONLY
BLAH BLAH WOOF WOOF

What I'm saying is that I'm simply unable to discipline myself to respect these new stupid and petty rules and bylaws, I therefore find it very hard to go to pubs and clubs unless I'm either certain the venue is liberal, I'm up for a fight or I feel I can control myself and do as I'm told...:


Basically, I had a row on New Years Eve about the party being outside, because of smoking and I swore then I'd stop, because it wasn't fitting for the occasion and it got personal. I've had several other rows with people and or bouncers on these matters and if I go out 4 nights a week, I'll have several more per week and that gets tiring....

I'm past the age where having that kind of conflict consitutes a good and rebelious night out.


Thing is, I'm not so much stubborn, as the author of the book of stubborn. When I say I will or won't do something fundamental, it's set in stone. Therefore if I find a rule to be wrong, I can't simply pay lipservice to it very easily - or at all...

I once spent 53 hours on hungerstrike in a police cell a month before I was 18 because I refused to accept a set of bail conditions.

As a result, the conditions were dropped...

Before they were, I spent those 53 hours chatting in the cell with a bloke called Bob the Big Bad Bear. All the time, I was an inch from a lengthy spell in a Young Offender Institution (not to mention ever more hungry), but at no point was there anyway i was budging over an issue that I felt was the thin end of a nasty old wedge..

With hindsight it was the exact right decision. Had we agreed to those conditions, the game would have been up, but because we kicked out a little, the Police never tried placing those conditions again and I eventually sued the fuzz for £4000 compensation for basic law violations they committed during those 53 hours....


Those were different times and the issues at stake were a lot mor important than lighting up a fag is, but if I felt that folk in the UK today had any rebellious tendencies and would stand up against things like the smoking ban on a basic 'freedom of choice' level, I'd run with it and them and happily start some trouble, but I don't see that happening.

No boss, I think the collective back has been broken here in the UK - people simply have too much to loose to risk loosing it. Folk are being held hostage by their possesions and the cheap threats of a bunch of clever-ass lawyers. No-one really wants to rock the boat and fighting a guaranteed defeat simply isn't a worthwhile use of PG£ time.
I can get my row quotient at home, so unless it's going to exercise a change, I don't want to have it in public over stupid little things like wearing caps and or smoking....


I'd therefore rather have a little peace in my life of an evening and stay in where I can pretty much do what i damn well please than go and see bands perform under stupid rules...

Anyway....


Currently listening :
Silver Apples/Contact
By Silver Apples
Release date: By 21 October, 1997

14:07 - 13 Comments - 8 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove -

Brigid Power-Ryce

did you really go on a hunger strike in a cell? good for you. i once smacked an off duty nyc cop and threw his tie in the bin because he called me a bitch and he called this homeless man a bum. it maybe wasnt the best thing to do but police really piss me off and im stubborn as hell also..

Posted by Brigid Power-Ryce on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 17:08
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I recieved more education in those 53 hours than during my entire A-Levels..

I've never had too much personal trouble from the Police. Generally speaking, my dealings with them have been good natured..

I did another hunger strike outside The Indian Embassy over the construction of a Dam - that one lasted 4 or 5 days...

That was another good and thorough education...

Good shot on the copper anyway!)

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 17:19
[Remove] [Reply to this]


The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club

You can stay home and do as you please for now, but sooner or later the smoking ban will extend to your private residence (just like it is starting to do here) and all those surveillance cameras from London will make their way to your part of town (if they're not there already) to keep an eye on you. It's a creeping invasion. But look on the bright side - at least you'll always have company.

Posted by The Cupid Kinkyboots Fan Club on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 19:08
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Well the thing is I don't often smoke cigarettes at home - I only ever want to smoke when I'm out having a few drinks in pubs and clubs...

I smoke the odd bit of pot at home - next thing you know that'll be illegal as well!!!

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 19:56
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Wendy

Same here.

I was supposed to give up in Nov, but I do love a lovely cigarette with a lovely, lovely pint.

Bastards.

Posted by Wendy on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 22:24
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I simply don't understand why the pubs accepted it so meekly...

It's putting them out of business....

'Pubs in the UK have been closing at a rate of 27 a week over the past year with 1,409 pubs closing during 2007, research revealed today.

The British Beer & Pub Association (BBPA), which carried out the study, warned that publicans are struggling to grapple with spiralling costs, sinking sales, fragile consumer confidence and the impact of the smoking ban.

The closure rate in 2007 was 14 times faster than in 2006. Two per cent of all town centre based pubs have closed in the past six months.

Rob Hayward, chief executive of the BBPA, said: “The industry is facing very difficult trading conditions, which is resulting in the closure of hundred of pubs across the country.'

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 23:11
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Wendy

I heard that contrary to the supposed "success" of the smoking ban in Ireland, 25% of pubs went out of business. I don't know the time-scale.

Maybe you could look up the stats for that?

Posted by Wendy on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 23:25
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Italy was one of the first countries to introduce it and in the common sense way that the law works there, it's now very much down to the propreitors to decide.

I've certainly smoked plenty in bars and restaurants in Italy there since the ban (to the degree that I didn't even realise there was such a ban) and as soon as they realised that no fags meant clubs stink of sweat and spilt beer, they soon changed their tune and most clubs turn a blind eye..

In the UK, the trade and the government seems to have thunk that everyone was suddenly going to have an extra meal or 2 out per day to make up for the lost trade...

I'll get my Official Short Clone to check the Ireland facts...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 23:43
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Treacle

Oh, and I have all this to look forward to...
We really need to check out the laws and work a way around it. Set up a private studio or some shit. I don't see how they can stop people smoking in their own homes if they want to. I'll be protesting that one. The UK ban always seemed quite mythical to me, like it would never actually happen. But I usually smoke a pipe anyway, so may still be able to get away with it...

Posted by Treacle on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 00:07
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I think the alternatives are emerging...

The ban seems mythical to me and this is why I find it hard to go out. Everyone troops outside like soldiers who've been given an order - it's truly bizarre and completely incredible...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 00:44
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

BASICALLY, I CAN'T GIVE MY CONSENT TO SUCH A BULLSHIT LAW....

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 00:46
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Most of the time you get a warning to put it out - if you persistently offend you risk a fine...

For my money, getting a fine is very unlikely. You're mroe likely to be put outside by the bouncers...

However if you're female and are smoking a pipe, novelty value and charm might see you through without any serious punishment...

/..
|
|
|
|
|

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 21:22
[Remove]


Treacle

What do they do if you smoke inside?

Posted by Treacle on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 04:19
[Remove]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the , I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.