Sunday 2 March 2008

A COUPLA GIGS...


A COUPLA GIGS...
Current mood: COMING BACK TO LIFE....
Category: COMING BACK TO LIFE.... Music



Sheesh...

I've made it out of the house - TWICE!!!!

Yes boss, after a slow start LIVE start to the year, the inevitable LIVING momentum has begun and I'm once again aquainting myself with darkened rooms, pricey beer and caustic volume..


GEE GEE 1

The Bethnal Green Working Mens Club is a curious place.

Set in the heart of nouveau art east land, the working men's club is sooooo fashionable and alt.art, it might as well be a pair of dark framed spectacles..

Yes boss, this venue is soooo cool, Franz Ferdinand's drummer Paul Thompson had his Wedding Reception there. It's soooooo 'of the moment', that it's outside wall is adorned with a genuine new Banksy that appeared days after Tower Hamlets Council decided they were going to erase all works by the controversial street artist...

FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!!!!!




Of course the downside to coolness, is that cool folk can be a little afraid of doing anything original - like moving...

Yes boss, sooooo cool were the working mens club crowd that the entire stars set was watched much as if the band were a screen at the local arthouse cinema. I kid you not, I don't believe anyone moved throughout it - it was very wierd indeed...

It was also a shame, because it was a stunning and highly danceable set - possibly the best or second best I've ever seen the stars play - and as regular readers will know, I've seen and heard plenty of this band...


Of course this slight crowd lethargy could have been down to it being a Thursday and the stars supporting rather than headlining, because later when
Death Ray Trebuchey played, the folk did manage to whoop around a bit more..

Death Ray Trebuchey
were completely new on me, and were really very good. The sound is brass led, it's pretty ska like with occasional twists of other sounds..

There was one great track that had a lovely rave synth lead in and others which mixed and spliced all manner....

Visually this band also work it well. Half of them were sweaty and topless. Another Saxophonist wore a full on rubber mask, there was plenty of movement and lots of energy..

The infectiousness of their groove was total....

However being the coolest music writer on the planet - I didn't move an inch...


GEE GEE 2

I like The Bullet Bar because it has no man in the toilet, no bouncer and no shitty bylaws conerning headgear...

The only problem with it, is that the sound quality is shit...

Yes boss, we're talking screechy loud and very trebbly - which is a shame...

So, I went to see Colossus and Clinker play there last night and I do believe I saw a couple of other bands, though my cognition of them are very poor indeed.

LAGER LAGER LAGER!!!

Yes boss, my memory were at the time and remains so sketchy, that when Benjamin Shaw came up and asked me what I thought of the set he'd just finished, I could only stare back vacantly, until he handed me a CD and to this moment, I can't remember seeing or hearing a bit of what he did, I think I was talking, or simply floating about like a falling helicopter...

I do remember seeing Clinker and some of Colossus, I also remember headbutting several folk with the peak of my cap and generally stumbling about like an amateur drunk at Christmas...


So, Clinker were great...

Yes boss, I like Clinker.

The current sound of the band is quite shoe gaze and even a little baggy - the kind of thing you might have expected to hear in the early 90's on Creation - but I like a band with an inbuilt stubborness about how they go about things and I also like a band who play without any sense of time - who create their own (though I felt Say Goodbye was perhaps played a little too quickly)


Colossus have everything going for them.

They have a vast back catalog, a tall attractive female manager who appears to GET STUFF DONE!!! They have a stage prescence, good tunes and the kind of sound and set up that spells 'commercial success'

Another thing about this band, is that they're very good at getting a crowd in, and this they did last night with aplomb...

Musically, I really don't remember too much. It was pop rocky, loud. Yes boss, with their sliding guitar and full on sound, Colossus are almost sounding heavy rock metal these days..


So, there we go, all these bands are on a hot circuit of live gigs this year, so make sure you go and see them and help them m,m,m,move on up....


Currently listening :
Blazing Arrow
By Blackalicious
Release date: By 30 April, 2002

01:44 - 7 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Clinker

Thanks. You did get a bit wobbly and on the coca cola by the end, haha.

It wa a great night! Totally enjoyed it!!

Posted by Clinker on Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 14:59
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE BRAVE PRINCE HARRY BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

The main problem was that I started off wobbly and had almost completely falled over by 10pm...

Posted by : THE BRAVE PRINCE HARRY BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 15:06
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Colossus

Thanks for the kind words sir!

We really love promoting the hell out of decent bands like

Clinker,

pocuswhiteface,


Annalie's Anomaly Project


Sky of Three Suns


Aaron Short

Ben didn't actually play last night! You were so pissed man!

I was afraid for you!

We'll do this thing a little more regularly in the future...band crossover choas is the future yeah!

Spider and the gang xx

Posted by Colossus on Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 19:29
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE BRAVE PRINCE HARRY BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Ah, that he didn't play explains it...

Posted by : THE BRAVE PRINCE HARRY BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 19:45
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Benjamin Shaw

haha, you can't remember my set because i didnt play a set. i had a gig elsewhere last night (but dumped it in favour of Colossus and Pocus Whiteface) i may have slurred something about that? congratulations on a spectacular display of drinking though.

Posted by Benjamin Shaw on Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 19:14
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE BRAVE PRINCE HARRY BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

That's right, I remember now...

The problem with yesterday, was that I completely forgot to eat...

Posted by : THE BRAVE PRINCE HARRY BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 19:46
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Colossus

lol!

I spy that you've done a blog regarding Radiohead being twats...I'll go leave a comment.

Spider xx

Posted by Colossus on Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 19:30
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: