Friday 14 March 2008

AMATEUR JOURNALISTS AND CHILD DRUNKS...


Current mood: ALL YOU NEED IS....
Category: ALL YOU NEED IS.... Parties and Nightlife


So....

In order to improve upon my chance of following in the footsteps of our heroic Prince Harold, this last week, I've been reading up on the state of this great and wonderful country, during which time I stumbled upon a new series of programs and coverage of Britains ignored and annoyed white working class...

In particular, I found this article here on The BBC website and the below section, made me think...

"When I left school in the 60s you could say, I'll go to the steelworks, or I'll go to the pit. I went to the pit because all my family were there.

"There was always something for you, but look around the corner now, there's nothing, that's why you have the kids on the streets drinking."


Now, as a lad, I neither got drunk on street corners or went down pit or int' steelworks, but knowing what I know now, if I were to be given the option of either, I'd damn well opt for the drinking on street corners idea...

Yes boss, as far as I understand things, completing ball breaking work down the pit or in the steelworks is by far and away a worse and truly dangerous way to spend ones youth than pissing it up on street corners.

Furthermore, as much as I understood the vicious and callous way in which the closure of Britains coal mining industry was undertaken by Herr Thatcher, I never could quite grasp why the miners wanted to stay in such dark and unpleasant employment - as if it were some kind of joyous and happy honey party?!?

Sure, our coaly friends talked about the pit being the center of the community and that 'pits absence would lead to the collapse of said community - but if you can't organise a community without going underground, battering away at HARD BLACK ROCK all day AND GETTING COVERED IN DUST ALL DAY, your social skills must be even worse than mine....


Of course, this isn't to say that excessive boozing it up when young is necessarily a good thing either.

I do however think it possible such behaviour could be good for the production of good creative work and would, if controlled and trained properly, probably improve this nations sporting prowess.

Yes boss, let's not forget that Ian Botham was one of Britains greatest ever cricketers, but he was and remains a complete pisshead.

Furthermore, Hunter S Thompson was one of only a few memorable journalists of the last 50 years and he started every day with 2 double whiskies...?!?!


So...

The bottom line of this blog is that I'm really very tired of this current media obsession with anything to do with being drunk as being a negative thing THAT MUST BE STOPPED OR WE WILL ALL DIE!!!!

Whether it be sportsmen getting banned from playing their sport for being seen coming out of a nightclub 10 minutes after midnight 4 days before a game, or kids hanging around on street corners getting pissed, there can be no doubt that drinking is becoming the 'new' smoking, and that within 20 or 30 years, it'll be completely banned in public places...

The rationale behind this is another simpletons idiocy contrived by cheaply stupid politicians and their lacky journalists (who are well known to be one of the biggest bunch of pissheads in the western world) - but since when has that ever kind of an agenda been anything other than a 'winning' one???


'Winning' or not, this kind of half cut politics annoys the shit out of me, not least because not only are journalists mostly drunkards, they're nearly all completely fucking gullible and should therefore not be trusted with social policy...


For example:

The other day, I was listening to an ITV news special on kiddies 'binge' drinking and they interviewed some hoodlum on the street who claimed he could put away 17 pints a night!!!

In response to this grand claim, the journalist nodded seriously as if the child had announced the death of his mother...

Now, call me a lightweight, but I consider myself to be a good and well trained drinker, and I struggle to put away more than 10 pints TOPS (or equivalent) per night, - which makes me believe this kid was LYING!!!

Yes boss, if I were conducting research into the 'epidemic' of teenage drinking for a piece to go on this here BLINGER, and I heard that kind of a claim from a young spotty kid, I'd say:

"OH YEAH!!! LET'S SEE YOU PULL THAT ONE OFF THEN BIG BOY!!"

I'd then repair to the Off License, buy said child 17 pints worth of booze and see just how good they were...


So...

Next time you see some dull and stupid pisshead journalist, pretending to diagnose a serious social problem, remember the one about the kids who claim to drink 17 pints a night...

AKA

Never trust a journalist...



Currently listening :
Balls
By Sparks
Release date: By 22 August, 2000

17:54 - 4 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove -

simon

It's strange this as when I was a lad and growing up in Essex I may have had a job from the age of 13 (part time obviously) but most of my friends were either necking bottles of Kaolin and Morphine or benylin or they had there heads stuck in bags full of glue or were sucking on cans of lighter fuel and every so often drinking some booze, so what gets me about this current generation is there lack of effort in getting wasted on more than just cheap booze.
Hey government and press idiots if you stop them boozing they will only start glue sniffing again.
Get over it and let them have some fun!!!

Posted by simon on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 10:12
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I see no major difference betwwen the levels of larrikin youth behaviour now and at any other time. The only difference now is that kidz behaviour is under the media spotlight because the media are too lazy to cover real isues...

Politicians can only win going after these sort of targets - They get to put up taxes on booze AND they appear to be tackling a vicious social ill...

It's 2 portions of cream and the conniving political fuckers love to eat it...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 10:21
[Remove] [Reply to this]


graham

I was drinking at the tender age of 12 & sniffing glue & tippex thinner back in the 80's, but the media didn't seem to give a shit back then. I totally agree that this is lazy journalism & a way for them to avoid the real issues. The thing that causes young people to drink is boredom, same as it ever was, so why are young people bored? Because they've got nothing to do & nowhere to go because the government are closing down all the youth clubs. So whos fault is it that young people drink? The government! same as ever. Drinking is FUN, always was, always will be, or at least until it's outlawed by some shit-for-brains politician. When you're young, it's the best time to be a drinker as your liver can handle it. As for the kid who claimed to drink 15 pints, he was obviously a liar just trying to impress his mates. My absolute limit is 5 pints, I'm lightweight & proud of it, it costs less & makes my liver live longer.

Posted by graham on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 11:19
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Booze is getting treated like drugs always have been..

The idea that partaking in moderation and even excess can be fun is never mentioned...

I think the difference between now and 20 years ago is that the media has much more of our lives and therefore much more influence over them..

People used to talk to one another on the bus - now they read a paper...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 13:56
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: