Friday 14 March 2008

BALLS...


Current mood: AND YOU WILL FIND ME GOOD IN BED...
Category: AND YOU WILL FIND ME GOOD IN BED... Music



One of the few pleasures of living in London is that any band worth it's music stand plays here...

Yes boss, London might be a grey and nasty shithole that bleeds money for fun and turns meaness into an art, but London has soul in abundance and there's no better proof of that than in the range and diversity of bands that play here...

Coming up, this early summer is a 21 day run by the band Sparks
during which time they plan to play each of their 21 albums in their completeness...


Sparks
aren't a band I knew much about until this last year.

In fact I knew nothing of them until about 9 months ago - which is why I'm keen to get to the quick bottom of their 21 albums to see which ones i want to hear played LIVE...


To facilitate a safe decision, I did a naughty download of their entire discography and am systematically working my way through...


The stand out record at the moment is Balls.






Yes boss, I get the general idea with Sparks
is to grab a fundamental human concept and then repeat it over a dancey or disco beat..


The first track I ever heard by Sparks
was Dick Around.

Dick Around is basically an ode to the mainstay of any artists life 'Dicking Around'.

They repeat this truth over a beautifully faux operatic wonder of a track along with extra sublime and superb lines.

It should'a been Number 1... (FREE PRESS MY ASS!!!)

All I do now is Dick Around




And this is what I love about
Sparks's art:


Nail a basic human concept.


Make a succinct and complete line or set of lines about it

REPEAT!!!

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))


Currently listening :
Balls
By Sparks
Release date: By 22 August, 2000

17:32 - 8 Comments - 10 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove -

REX MUNDI

ahh mr g u only just discovered sparks my god man where have u been i thought everyone knew them ! 21 albums & u hadnt heard 1 im amazed 1 of my childhood friends is obsessed by those guys so i know them back 2 front personally i think the late stuff is coolest esp the ablum they did with mr moroder i still have my 12"clear vinyl single "no 1 song in heaven" off that album somewhere my other fav is off an earlier album which i cant recall the title its called "this town aint big enough for the both of us",hey can u send me the link 2 the 21 albums u mentioned u downloaded.cheerz rex

Posted by REX MUNDI on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 03:18
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I have my head up my ass for long periods of time and miss many big things as a result...

No 1 Song In Heaven is a decent track. I'm also a big fan of the Gratuitous Sax and Senseless Violins LP..

I donwloaded the LPs from one of those naughty peer to peer networking clients, so there's no specific link..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 13:53
[Remove] [Reply to this]


graham

I love Sparks! & not just because they had 2 albums out in 1979 :) I will have to check out "Balls" now on your recommendation, I've not heard that one. I probably dont't know what I've been missing. I've got their latest 2 though, "lil beethoven" & "hello young lovers" on vinyl & they're great. Cheers!

Posted by graham on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 11:01
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I like the directness of Balls. The first 3 tracks are my favourite tracks of the moment..

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 13:57
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Christopher Nosnibor

Oh yes, Sparks are quality. 'Plagiarism' (I think) is an album of collaborations... the rerecording of 'This Town Ain't Big Enough for the Both of Us' with Faith No More is the business!

I'm in shock that you'd not heard ANY of their stuff before... have you spent your entire life in a cultural vacuum?

Posted by Christopher Nosnibor on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 21:30
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

Well, it's certainly possible I heard Sparks tracks here and there. I just wasn't conscious of them being them. There's millions of bands - it's difficult to keep an eye on them all, especially when you have your head as far up your own arse as i do...

As for plagarism: I've had this recommended a few times, but I'm yet to be fully grabbed by it...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Monday, March 10, 2008 at 21:53
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Christopher Nosnibor

I'll have to admit to not owning a vast amount of their stuff myself (as you may figure, I'm running out of room here) but do have 'The Heaven and Hell Collection' 2 CD box set, like the best and worst of Sparks, and the Hell CD is as genius as the Heacen one. Sparks are the kind of band that make 'pop' cool instead of embarassing.

Posted by Christopher Nosnibor on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 15:47
[Remove] [Reply to this]


: THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI :

I very much admire their sticking power. It takes a lot to run a band that long and to still be making good and interesting music...

Posted by : THE FUTUREPROOF MUSIC BLOG BY PIOUS GIOVANNI : on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 15:53
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: